The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

With both Maths and Economics, or even Maths alone, you could probably become an Actuary.
u can get an economics degree, a maths degree is u pick further maths, all engineering degrees (except bioeng) if u pick physics, physics degree if u pick physics lol, chemistry degree, medicine degree if u pick bio.. theres too much to name.
Reply 3
Original post by arch0wnz
With both Maths and Economics, or even Maths alone, you could probably become an Actuary.

Thankyou, but this doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in doing.
Reply 4
Original post by Kabulkid
u can get an economics degree, a maths degree is u pick further maths, all engineering degrees (except bioeng) if u pick physics, physics degree if u pick physics lol, chemistry degree, medicine degree if u pick bio.. theres too much to name.

Thankyou, I'll be researching further into engineering and an economics degree.
Original post by SarahBou
Thankyou, I'll be researching further into engineering and an economics degree.

if u wunna go into science i recommend dropping eco and picking up physics and further maths
Reply 6
if u wunna go into science i recommend dropping eco and picking up physics and further maths

Physics really isn't my thing, but I am considering biology.
Physics really isn't my thing, but I am considering biology.

haha i know the feeling, in gcse my worst science was physics but i opted that over chem and bio cos i wanted to study engineering.
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics would keep your options best - the top places for Economics all basically require further maths, while also keeping your options for engineering amongst other things.
Reply 9
haha i know the feeling, in gcse my worst science was physics but i opted that over chem and bio cos i wanted to study engineering.

Yeah same! But how did you find Physics A level?
Reply 10
Original post by Mathsz0r
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics would keep your options best - the top places for Economics all basically require further maths, while also keeping your options for engineering amongst other things.

What if I do chemistry instead of Physics?
Yeah same! But how did you find Physics A level?

for the whole time I had one amazing teacher and one teacher that was... horrific so one unit the class would know inside out and another we would have to self-teach.

AS- easy
A2- harder but purely because self-teaching some of the stuff was just too hard.

I got 270/300 in AS and I probably got around 260/300 in A2 (still awaiting results).
Reply 12
for the whole time I had one amazing teacher and one teacher that was... horrific so one unit the class would know inside out and another we would have to self-teach.

AS- easy
A2- harder but purely because self-teaching some of the stuff was just too hard.

I got 270/300 in AS and I probably got around 260/300 in A2 (still awaiting results).

Oh wow that's really good, well done! What other subjects did you do alongside physics?
Oh wow that's really good, well done! What other subjects did you do alongside physics?

Further Maths and Maths. I did History at AS.
Reply 14
Further Maths and Maths. I did History at AS.

Sorry, one more question, how did you find maths and further maths?
Sorry, one more question, how did you find maths and further maths?

easiest subjects i've done. if ur good at maths i'd defo pick it because its an easy two A*s.
I don't know what I want to be in future but I'm interested in taking Maths, Economics and Chemistry for my A-Levels. I haven't decided on a fourth subject yet.

I'm unsure of what I can do with these subjects in future. What sort of degree can I get? What careers are open to these subjects?

not sure if this brings you good or bad news, but in all honesty, employers don't really care about what degree you did, so long as you have adequate experience, knowledge, and transferrable skills such as team work, IT skills, things like that.

I'm not saying that someone with a mechanics degree can be a doctor or vice versa, but I know people who did geography who went into marketing and investment banking, people who did physics who are now in journalism, etc - the point is, your career doesn't have to be based around what you do at a-level or university!

Whats more is that for A levels and an undergraduate degree, you have to do something you are genuinely interested in rather than something will earn you money - if you do this your life will turn into a living hell and you'll hate the next 4-6 years of your life.
Reply 17
easiest subjects i've done. if ur good at maths i'd defo pick it because its an easy two A*s.

Thankyou, I'll definitely be picking maths and further maths.
Thankyou, I'll definitely be picking maths and further maths.

yeah, defo do, its a myth when people say its harder than normal maths because it actually isn't.
Reply 19
Original post by p.formanko
not sure if this brings you good or bad news, but in all honesty, employers don't really care about what degree you did, so long as you have adequate experience, knowledge, and transferrable skills such as team work, IT skills, things like that.

I'm not saying that someone with a mechanics degree can be a doctor or vice versa, but I know people who did geography who went into marketing and investment banking, people who did physics who are now in journalism, etc - the point is, your career doesn't have to be based around what you do at a-level or university!

Whats more is that for A levels and an undergraduate degree, you have to do something you are genuinely interested in rather than something will earn you money - if you do this your life will turn into a living hell and you'll hate the next 4-6 years of your life.

Haha yes thankyou, I genuinely enjoy these three subjects, I'm just interested in finding out where they will take me.

Latest