The Student Room Group

Advice for upcoming Year 10's and 11's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by karmacrunch
Haha and okay! I'll try reading it anyway.

That's great then because I'm excited to finish it and see what happens!

I hope so :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck <3
Original post by JayJay-C19
Good luck <3

I can put this thread on the 1st post of our new Year 10 thread if you'd like, in case anyone else wants to ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22

I can put this thread on the 1st post of our new Year 10 thread if you'd like, in case anyone else wants to ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure they'd find that helpful! Thanks.

You must be an awesome person to be friends with, I must say.

:hugs:
I'm sure they'd find that helpful! Thanks.

You must be an awesome person to be friends with, I must say.

:hugs:

I'll remember to do that!

Really? I hope so but thanks :biggrin::blush:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I'll remember to do that!

Really? I hope so but thanks :biggrin::blush:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes indeed :hugs:
Yes indeed :hugs:

Haha thanks :redface:

I appreciate your threads as well!
My thank yous are endless :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Haha thanks :redface:

I appreciate your threads as well!
My thank yous are endless :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha! Woo; is there anything else you want help with or advice on?
Post any questions you have along with your subject choices and your expectations.

I've just left Year 11 so I'll answer the questions!

Hey, firstly thanks for making his thread :smile:

I am going to start my GCSE's next year, what can I expect?
I'm not sure when to get my revision guides and what ones to get either D: . Here are all of the subjects im taking could you give me any revision book recommendations:
- English language: Cambridge IGCSE
- English Literature: AQA specification A
- Maths: Edexcel specification A
- Science: Edexcel core science (I haven't found out if I'm taking additional)
- Geography: AQA specification A
- History: Edexcel specification A (The making od the modern world)
- French: Edexcel
-ICT: Edexcel
- Drama: Edexcel
Aha! Woo; is there anything else you want help with or advice on?

Erm not that I can think of at the moment except for German. How is that? I'm mostly worried about speaking and listening; I like writing and reading though. It's weird because I like speaking in the other languages and German is more difficult (fluency).

I also hear you have to answer a surprise question? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by celiex99
Hey, firstly thanks for making his thread :smile:

I am going to start my GCSE's next year, what can I expect?
I'm not sure when to get my revision guides and what ones to get either D: . Here are all of the subjects im taking could you give me any revision book recommendations:
- English language: Cambridge IGCSE
- English Literature: AQA specification A
- Maths: Edexcel specification A
- Science: Edexcel core science (I haven't found out if I'm taking additional)
- Geography: AQA specification A
- History: Edexcel specification A (The making od the modern world)
- French: Edexcel
-ICT: Edexcel
- Drama: Edexcel

It was my pleasure!

It's very difficult to explain what one should expect from any GCSE course as it varies between person and personality. However, from my own experience, expect things to get intense. Coursework is essential to get a good grade in so that you can reach for the stars overall. Never put things off until tomorrow, do them as you get them set. That's essential. Individually:

English Language - it can be dull in places but just persevere and learn the linguistic & literary jargon.

English Literature - use embedded quotation, write essays set BY HAND, learn key terms and themes inside out and pay specific attention to detail and also the social historical context of each text (where it was set and in what period and why that period is significant. For example: OF MICE AND MEN is set in 1930's America, a very prejudiced place and the Great Depression was carried through that decade).

Mathematics - I hated it. In my mind, if you don't get it you just don't so try your best.

Science - very interesting but difficult in areas, revise well and in advance to do well and make sure your ISA (coursework practical) is at a high grade.

Geography - I didn't do but I guess just make sure you prepare well for your papers in year 11.

History - this is my passion. I loved it. Make sure you prepare well in advance for this and know your facts and details inside out. It's not an easy exam and you MUST get hold of the correct exam technique, that is essential. For English as well, make sure you time correctly.

French - I did German but it's the same; learn your vocal and flick through your notes regularly. Put all of your effort into your coursework and prepare well in advance.

ICT - I've heard this is quite a difficult GCSE primarily because it's so boring. Just work hard and revise content well.

Drama - HAVE FUN! But take it seriously. A*'s and A's are still difficult to achieve in this.

As for books, I bought the CGP guides and to be honest with you, found them useless. Didn't use them at all and just sold them on. For Edexcel Mathematics, EDEXCEL's own is VERY good. Try getting the exam boards own book for the courses like look-up, "GCSE Edexcel Maths Revision Guide Edexcel Pearson" and it should come up like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revise-Edexcel-Mathematics-Higher-Revision/dp/1446900185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405874851&sr=8-1&keywords=gcse+edexcel+revision+guide

Good luck!
Reply 30
Original post by Mr...
Are
Lord of the Flies &
Of Mice and Men
Good novels and did they bore you when studying it.

I didn't study Lord of the Flies but my parents did at school and a friend did, it's apparently very interesting and a little like The Hunger Games actually.

Of Mice and Men is a nice text to study. It can be boring in areas but on the whole, I enjoyed it... most do!
Reply 31
Erm not that I can think of at the moment except for German. How is that? I'm mostly worried about speaking and listening; I like writing and reading though. It's weird because I like speaking in the other languages and German is more difficult (fluency).

I also hear you have to answer a surprise question? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, what board are you on again? I'll see if I can give you board-specific feedback/experience!
Sorry, what board are you on again? I'll see if I can give you board-specific feedback/experience!

AQA. I'm on that board for almost everything except for Maths I think. :smile:

Original post by Mr...
Are
Lord of the Flies &
Of Mice and Men
Good novels and did they bore you when studying it.

LoTF is soooo good!!! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
AQA. I'm on that board for almost everything except for Maths I think. :smile:

LoTF is soooo good!!! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right okay so I can't offer you any course-specific advice as I was on OCR. However, for us, there were NO surprise questions. You devise a list of questions relevant to the course chosen topic and write answers to them and learn it. Then, in the exam, the teachers will ask you either the same questions or remodel the question and you will have to change the answer slightly to suit it.

As for listening, that just takes practise. It's very hard. I don't mean to put you off but it is! I got 37/40 on most of my practise papers and in the real thing... well, let's just say it was awful! I don't know my grade obviously but it was extremely hard. The top German student in my year is best friends with me and she found it atrocious and she gets A* in every piece of work, real GCSE and not.
Reply 34
Original post by Mr...
Thanks! :yep:

Do you know how Additional Math is structured. Also how do the Literature and Language exams differ?

I hated maths so I have no clue, that also wasn't offered to us.

Literature differs from Language, on the topic of texts and the exam, in very few manners. You use language to support your points in both. Except a Literature paper asks for extended essays on a particular question and extract. Whilst language, wants you to apply language devices and skills and pick out language that helps to present a character or scene in a certain way. Literature is more about the themes and you use language to support your ideas as to how a theme has been followed with xyz characters and how the writer incorporated it into their work. You would also use your social historical context knowledge for this.

Example:

Great Expectations focuses on relationships and quite a lot and Pip's relationship with Mrs Joe is a mirroring image of Charles Dickens' relationship with his own mother - he resented her for making him work instead of be educated, after his father was imprisoned for debt.

I hope this helps.
Reply 35
Original post by Mr...
Thanks, you cleared a lot up,
Oh no I don't want to do Great Expectations(AQA). I hate that book.

You're welcome & aha, I know your concern. I hated it yet it was actually the best part of the Literature Prose exam.
Right okay so I can't offer you any course-specific advice as I was on OCR. However, for us, there were NO surprise questions. You devise a list of questions relevant to the course chosen topic and write answers to them and learn it. Then, in the exam, the teachers will ask you either the same questions or remodel the question and you will have to change the answer slightly to suit it.

As for listening, that just takes practise. It's very hard. I don't mean to put you off but it is! I got 37/40 on most of my practise papers and in the real thing... well, let's just say it was awful! I don't know my grade obviously but it was extremely hard. The top German student in my year is best friends with me and she found it atrocious and she gets A* in every piece of work, real GCSE and not.

Literally don't worry, you have given me way too much help anyway!

Ah really? That's not too bad then. I think that when we get the task I'll write it asap then practise slowly to remember it more. I should have done that more this year but oh well. I can't change anything now.

Listening is horrific. I can't really tell what I'll get. 37/40 wow! You've done really well in your exams :redface:
Yeesh, that means I'll have to practise and listen more to German things like music & films etc.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
Thanks, you cleared a lot up,
Oh no I don't want to do Great Expectations(AQA). I hate that book.

How ironic... You guys hate the book yet it's called 'Great Expectations' :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Mr...
Seriously?

Seriously!
This is honest advice and the truth really.
Don't give up your social life etc to do nothing but work for GCSE's because in truth they are not that hard (for most people) and they are merely a stepping stone to A-Level, and once you get into doing A-Levels they barely even matter any more.
Have fun during your GCSE years, because once you get to A-Level, for people who take things seriously, all fun and most of your social life goes out the window.
Yes GCSEs matter now in terms of getting into A-levels or other courses, but don't revolve your life around them. Go out with your friends and have fun. Do your homeworks when you need to and revise when you need to, not obsessively, and you will be perfectly fine.
Don't go out buying every revision guide out there either, because the truth is, you probably wont need them as for the most part everything you need is taught or given to you in class.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest