The Student Room Group

Got bad grades at AS level, wanted to apply to medicine, help?

I just gave my AS exams and i think i did really bad. i know results aren't out yet but i really feel like i did bad cuz my papers were awful, can I still get into uni for medicine if I get good A2 results? like A*'s and all?
You do not know how well you've done as of yet, I was sure I had done awfully in my AS's and couldn't apply to dentistry that year but I got AAB which was good enough to apply with. You can try to apply this year, even if the worst came to the worst with poor grades (depends, reckon you could get away with ABB but I doubt you'd get an offer with any less) provided you had a top notch PS and UKCAT. However, if you don't get in this following academic year, you can make sure you get your AAA and take a gap year?
dw im in the same situation
carry on with application and wait until resulys day from therr it basically depends on what your teachers are willing to put as preficyed grades...if they dnt predict the grades u need u should take a gap year and then apply once u have dome the alevels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Carry on with your app. Don't sit the UKCAT, if you haven't done so already.

Come results day you may be in for a nice surprise. Otherwise, just work your boots off next year and then reapply during a gap year.
Original post by ari1449
I just gave my AS exams and i think i did really bad. i know results aren't out yet but i really feel like i did bad cuz my papers were awful, can I still get into uni for medicine if I get good A2 results? like A*'s and all?

A lot of unis don't look at AS results so as long as your predictions are okay and you get the grades at 2 you'll be fine. Otherwise have you looked into courses with lower entry requirements (widening participation) in case you meet those criteria?

Worst case is you don't get a good prediction and you apply with your A's next year.

Original post by Tabris
Carry on with your app. Don't sit the UKCAT, if you haven't done so already.

Come results day you may be in for a nice surprise. Otherwise, just work your boots off next year and then reapply during a gap year.

Why?
Reply 5
Original post by Neostigmine
Why?

Oops, I meant don't sit the UKCAT yet. I'd reworded the sentence and forgot to retype that.

Anyway, it'd be a waste of OP's money to sit the UKCAT now and then to find out, come September that they aren't going to get the predicted grades he/she wants/needs.

There's always plenty of time to make a booking in September, way before the October 15th deadline.
Original post by ari1449

It doesn't really matter what your AS grades are as long as you're predicted AAA (or above) for A2.
Unless of course you want to apply to places like Oxford, Cambridge, Liverpool, Birmingham etc. All of which require high AS grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by hkofficial
It doesn't really matter what your AS grades are as long as you're predicted AAA (or above) for A2.
Unless of course you want to apply to places like Oxford, Cambridge, Liverpool, Birmingham etc. All of which require high AS grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay well, i know these grades may sound a bit hopeless but say if I got like D's and E's, would I still be considered provided my A2 predictions are good?
Reply 8
Original post by AmyAintDead
You do not know how well you've done as of yet, I was sure I had done awfully in my AS's and couldn't apply to dentistry that year but I got AAB which was good enough to apply with. You can try to apply this year, even if the worst came to the worst with poor grades (depends, reckon you could get away with ABB but I doubt you'd get an offer with any less) provided you had a top notch PS and UKCAT. However, if you don't get in this following academic year, you can make sure you get your AAA and take a gap year?

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I think my teachers mentioned something like that but I just wanted to get some insight from tsr. might go with it if all else fails
Original post by ari1449
okay well, i know these grades may sound a bit hopeless but say if I got like D's and E's, would I still be considered provided my A2 predictions are good?

hahah this is how i feel too :/ my teachers are mean aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ari1449

If you come out of AS with D's and Es your teachers are highly unlikely to predict you A's and B's, it's totally unrealistic to bump grades that high. They usually tend to predict either the same as AS results or one higher depending on the situation. They could bump two under extenuating circumstances but they need to be realistic:/
Reply 11
I am definitely going to drop a grade on the AAA front for AS.
I was it wondering wether it would be a good idea to defer or apply for other courses other than medicine this year and wait to see my final A2 results and if they meet the requirement, take a gap year and then re-apply...is this a good idea?
Original post by LewisAsh
I am definitely going to drop a grade on the AAA front for AS.
I was it wondering wether it would be a good idea to defer or apply for other courses other than medicine this year and wait to see my final A2 results and if they meet the requirement, take a gap year and then re-apply...is this a good idea?

Just apply to unis that don't look at AS results, worst case you just reapply next year will results in hand :smile:
Original post by ari1449

Like other's have already said, it would seem highly unlikely for your teachers to predict you AAA for A2 then. They tend to predict one grade higher than you have achieved at AS.

Your best bet would be to take a gap year, in which you can work hard on getting all the work experience and voluntary work you need. For now concentrate on getting the grades.

If by some chance you're A2 predictions are good, then I think you should call up the unis you're thinking of applying to. Tell them your situation, and ask them how likely your application is to get considered. That should give you a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending