The Student Room Group

Advice for upcoming Year 10's and 11's

Scroll to see replies

When should I start revising in year 11?
Reply 41
Original post by Nadine_08
When should I start revising in year 11?

Well. That depends on the courses you're studying and numerous other things.

Easter is the last chance period to start I'd say so any time before that, probably just a couple/few weeks!
Original post by JayJay-C19
I agree with you.

We all had and need a social life. Just work hard at school and do what you're supposed to do and you'll be fine.

I sailed through GCSE's simply by listening in class and doing homework and revising a day or two before the exam.
For GCSE's you really don't need to be obsessively revising, you need to be out having fun and doing what you need to do before A-Level's hit you in the face like a ton of bricks
did you seriously just delete my post full of advice, even though your thread is for advice?
Reply 44
Original post by Sarao
I sailed through GCSE's simply by listening in class and doing homework and revising a day or two before the exam.
For GCSE's you really don't need to be obsessively revising, you need to be out having fun and doing what you need to do before A-Level's hit you in the face like a ton of bricks

See, I do believe that that works for some as it did for my friend but it also doesn't for many. I'm giving my experience and I thought mocks were a good time to test that and I came out with D's in my strongest subjects then I prepared for tests and practise exams and got A's and A*'s so I really do have to disagree but I'm sure you're right for some.
Reply 45
Original post by Sarao
did you seriously just delete my post full of advice, even though your thread is for advice?

No? I didn't do that! I agree with you :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by Sarao

I think it was an accident. All the posts were deleted after a certain point! But thanks for the advice said before :smile:

Also, thanks mods! :hugs:

x

Thank you again, I've left this on watch and I'll put it on the Year 10 thread! :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Sarao

Not to mention that I actually can't delete posts even though it's my thread... If you can I most certainly don't have a clue how.
Reply 48
Original post by karmacrunch
I think it was an accident. All the posts were deleted after a certain point! But thanks for the advice said before :smile:

Thank you again, I've left this on watch and I'll put it on the Year 10 thread! :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got a report update and so they must have just deleted what they deemed to be irrelevant!

Thanks, I'm sure they'll find it very helpful! <3
Well. That depends on the courses you're studying and numerous other things.

Easter is the last chance period to start I'd say so any time before that, probably just a couple/few weeks!

I'm doing a lot of courses so I don't want to spend too much time revising for a subject and end up failing others, so do you have any tips on how to be organised?
See, I do believe that that works for some as it did for my friend but it also doesn't for many. I'm giving my experience and I thought mocks were a good time to test that and I came out with D's in my strongest subjects then I prepared for tests and practise exams and got A's and A*'s so I really do have to disagree but I'm sure you're right for some.

Yes it works for most, not all, some people need to work for specific subjects and what not but that doesn't mean they have to obsessively revise. There's options for extra support offered in schools etc, which means there's no need to be spending loads of time revising and not spending time doing anything else.

I have been through GCSE's and A-Levels

I was one of those people who took GCSE's too seriously, but now reflecting on it, I shouldn't have, because honestly, it's not worth it in the bigger picture.

You'll understand this once you start A-Level's.
Not to mention that I actually can't delete posts even though it's my thread... If you can I most certainly don't have a clue how.

Hmmm, my first post seems to have disappeared
Reply 52
Original post by Nadine_08
I'm doing a lot of courses so I don't want to spend too much time revising for a subject and end up failing others, so do you have any tips on how to be organised?

Organise your notes. I found flash cards to be the best thing, you're going over things and learning the information again and then writing it down. It's very good active revision. You're also condensing down the notes to what's relevant. I never found timetable's helpful at all but you might. I must also add that the Get Revising site is very useful for revision guidance and notes and to make a timetable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only seeing this now after I replied to the last one, ohhright I see
Reply 54
Original post by Sarao
Yes it works for most, not all, some people need to work for specific subjects and what not but that doesn't mean they have to obsessively revise. There's options for extra support offered in schools etc, which means there's no need to be spending loads of time revising and not spending time doing anything else.

I have been through GCSE's and A-Levels

I was one of those people who took GCSE's too seriously, but now reflecting on it, I shouldn't have, because honestly, it's not worth it in the bigger picture.

You'll understand this once you start A-Level's.

I don't believe in obsessively revising, I believe in spreading it out in chunks. I believe in a balance. I was not disagreeing with what you said but I was disagreeing with doing it a day before or whatever, that was all.
Original post by Sarao
Hmmm, my first post seems to have disappeared

Did you see what I said above? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe in obsessively revising, I believe in spreading it out in chunks. I believe in a balance. I was not disagreeing with what you said but I was disagreeing with doing it a day before or whatever, that was all.

Well I had something like 26 exams mainly in one big chunk so I really had no choice but to do that, but because I had actually listened in class throughout the year and done homeworks etc, I still done well

Did you see what I said above? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I replied to it explaining that I hadn't seen it before I replied to the other one
Reply 57
Original post by Sarao
Well I had something like 26 exams mainly in one big chunk so I really had no choice but to do that, but because I had actually listened in class throughout the year and done homeworks etc, I still done well

Yes, that's what I was getting it - for some people it has to work. For some it just doesn't. I always done homework on time and well and listened in class but still had to revise a lot! Oh well, I guess it's just what we said first off, it depends on the person!
To the person who was asking about organisation (I can't find your original post).

Use folders instead of books. Folders allow you to organise everything into different sections and things dont get muddled up.

Folders are your friend
Exercise books are your enemies
Reply 59
Original post by Sarao
To the person who was asking about organisation (I can't find your original post).

Use folders instead of books. Folders allow you to organise everything into different sections and things dont get muddled up.

Folders are your friend
Exercise books are your enemies

Yes! I used these and they're brilliant because you know where everything is.

Quick Reply

Latest