The Student Room Group

Advice on getting a Software Development work placement in Canada?

Hi,

I'm going into my second year of my Software Engineering course and in the second year we start to look for paid work placements, which we go on in between the second and third years of study.

I really want to do my work placement in Canada but my University don't advertise or offer any placements (through them) outside of the UK so if I do it, I have to do it off my own back. So if anyone has any advice regarding this I'd be grateful to hear it.

I've been working on my CV a lot recently and am just about to start working on a template covering letter and my plan is to send off prospective emails / letters to lots of Canadian technology companies, does anyone think they know of a better approach?

Thanks.
Do you prefer west coast or east coast?

There aren't too many technology companies on the west coast, but the east coast is very cold most of the time.

I don't really know about any more efficient way than just sending cover letters and CV to many companies.
Reply 2
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Do you prefer west coast or east coast?

There aren't too many technology companies on the west coast, but the east coast is very cold most of the time.

I don't really know about any more efficient way than just sending cover letters and CV to many companies.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply; I don't mind.. but preferably east, I've visited both sides of Canada and traveled through. But obviously the time difference compared to home (UK) is a lot more manageable in the east, I really like Toronto. And the cold doesn't phase me.
Original post by StatusRed
Hey,

Thanks for your reply; I don't mind.. but preferably east, I've visited both sides of Canada and traveled through. But obviously the time difference compared to home (UK) is a lot more manageable in the east, I really like Toronto. And the cold doesn't phase me.

Ah! That's good!

East coast has a lot more tech companies. Many of them seem to be in the Waterloo/Kitchener area because of the University of Waterloo.

I have never worked there, though, unfortunately.
Reply 4
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Ah! That's good!

East coast has a lot more tech companies. Many of them seem to be in the Waterloo/Kitchener area because of the University of Waterloo.

I have never worked there, though, unfortunately.

Alrighty thanks. :smile: I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending