The Student Room Group

Financial Advise

Hi, (I Hope im posting this question in the right place)

I need some advise and Im really very unsure were to turn. Im 19 and did very little education, I didn't finish school. I was facing issues with severe depression and at a very young age turned to Addiction. I have spent the last 3 years in a Rehab center and with support and counseling Im now ready to move on. I naturally want to turn back to education and I have this year privately completed one IGCSE and a certification called CompTIA A+, I would like to go to Anglia Ruskin University and study BSC Hons in Computer Science, and Im aware of their entry requirements, I have opted to take 3 more IGCSEs in June next year to then move onto college and do maybe a BTEC or Diploma / Access course. My question is, is there any financial support available to students, (Housing, maintenance) I plan on working as much as possible but obviously the transition is going to take time between leaving the center and getting a job (especially with no qualifications) Because of my history I dont have any family it would be suitable to stay with and it would be detrimental to my recovery to stay in a Hostel / Shared house. can anyone offer advise?

Many Thanks
James
Reply 1
Original post by JamesDavidKnight
Hi, (I Hope im posting this question in the right place)

I need some advise and Im really very unsure were to turn. Im 19 and did very little education, I didn't finish school. I was facing issues with severe depression and at a very young age turned to Addiction. I have spent the last 3 years in a Rehab center and with support and counseling Im now ready to move on. I naturally want to turn back to education and I have this year privately completed one IGCSE and a certification called CompTIA A+, I would like to go to Anglia Ruskin University and study BSC Hons in Computer Science, and Im aware of their entry requirements, I have opted to take 3 more IGCSEs in June next year to then move onto college and do maybe a BTEC or Diploma / Access course. My question is, is there any financial support available to students, (Housing, maintenance) I plan on working as much as possible but obviously the transition is going to take time between leaving the center and getting a job (especially with no qualifications) Because of my history I dont have any family it would be suitable to stay with and it would be detrimental to my recovery to stay in a Hostel / Shared house. can anyone offer advise?

Many Thanks
James

- You will get funding/maintenance if you go to University yes.

- EMA doesn't exist anymore for College Education but if you're over 21 I think you're entitled to some kind of adult learning grant.

- In between doing these you should sign onto Jobseekers Allowance so you're keeping an income for yourself.
Reply 2
Why have you decided which Uni you want to go to at this stage ?
I like to have a formed plan in my head, And work toward the goal. Plus taking the right kind of entry requirements. what about college? is there any chance of financial support while at college?

Thanks
James

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending