The Student Room Group

I'm a gay Muslim AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Anonymous
So you think anyone who is a Muslim and has gay thoughts should leave Islam? Not ask God for help? Please xD a person's sexuality and their faith is between them and Allah, certainly not some self-righteous douche like you :')

You either are gay or you are not. We all know its not compatible with Islam.

I'm not for homosexuality as I'm a Muslim too, however who are we to judge? We have our own flaws too, and so does he. Perhaps, to Allah this guy might be more dear than us cos of one good act of his. Please don't forget that the God of Islam is very loving and forgiving. The only advice we as Muslims should give the OP is to pray, pray and pray! This is a blessed month and this person should also pray from the bottom his heart, so that Allah change his heart.

Remember, surely it is Allah to judge, then who are we to say that this guy is not a Muslim?

Allah has asked us to judge such issues in this life, its easy running away and screaming only god can judge, yes god will judge on the plains of Arafat but that does not mean we do not judge in this lifetime.
Most likely yeah

what gender are you? male? why not marry a man then if you're gay? why let your parents push you around? live your life for yourself and nobody else - don't cower like that kind of thing.
Original post by layahudi

Allah has asked us to judge such issues in this life, its easy running away and screaming only god can judge, yes god will judge on the plains of Arafat but that does not mean we do not judge in this lifetime.

There is judging, and then there is not knowing what you're talking about. OP is right, the Quran does not state that being homosexual is a sin. Don't spread such information without verifying beforehand (17:36).

OP, I have a question: do you plan on telling your partner that you're homosexual? I think it's likely they will find out one way or another to be honest.

I'd like to help you out as well. PM me if you need some advice.
Well hopefully I'll marry someone open minded and caring and loving enough not to judge me for something I can't help, and support me instead. Surely my partner won't be perfect either?

I really don't think that's how marriages work.

Maybe you'll find a girl who is willing to work with you, 99% chance you won't. If you only decide to tell the girl you're gay after you're married, then that's you making this loving/caring support idea completely your decision and not hers at all. She might not want to compromise - and why should she?

If you remain Gay as an adult, either marry a man or don't marry at all. Please do not lie, and say that you romantically love someone when it's all false, that makes you a douche bag.
have you had a boyfriend/done anything with a guy?
Reply 65
Original post by Zantetsuken
There is judging, and then there is not knowing what you're talking about. OP is right, the Quran does not state that being homosexual is a sin. Don't spread such information without verifying beforehand (17:36).

OP, I have a question: do you plan on telling your partner that you're homosexual? I think it's likely they will find out one way or another to be honest.

The scriptures explicitly condemn it as s din and i will get you the specific references later today
Original post by Harvey Dent
How good are you at dodging high-velocity rocks?

:lol:
Original post by DiamondsForever
No you may not correct me because that's untrue soz :/

Indeed it is true, not preaching just making you aware. But it is against Islam to be a homosexual, it is clearly stated in the holy Quran.

First of all as a straight muslim, I am also against what your saying and i find it deeply disrespectful the way you are talking to OP.

HE is a HOMOSEXUAL but has not commited HOMOSEXUAL Acts and he is going to Marry a woman! WHat is wrong with you. Allah almighty is the Ultimate judge not you, i commend my brother for trying to fix the problem if i may call it which he has. You should try to fix your own problems, starting with your arrogance!
How old are you?
Original post by layahudi

Well clearly it's not that simple, I'm struggling and confused about my sexuality and I'm a Muslim. That's the truth. I haven't committed homosexual acts so in the eyes of Islam I have done NOTHING wrong. It is NOT your place to judge a fellow Muslim on something you have no idea about and tell me I'm not a Muslim :laugh::laugh:.

"An Arab is not superior to a non-Arab , and a non-Arab is not superior to an Arab. A white has no superiority over a black , nor does a black have superiority over a white. You are all equal, nobody has superiority over others except through piety and good action.”

You don't know me, so don't tell me I'm not a Muslim. Disgusting.

Original post by zippity.doodah
what gender are you? male? why not marry a man then if you're gay? why let your parents push you around? live your life for yourself and nobody else - don't cower like that kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm male. Because I have no other choice. Who said anything about my parents? O.o It's my choice to be a Muslim and the reason I can't live life as a gay man is because I feel that it is against my religion and is a sin. In reality living my life for myself is exactly what I'm doing from my point of view.

Original post by Zantetsuken

Thanks again, very well said :smile: and tbh I don't know... I have no idea yet. I guess I might be more sure of what to do when the time comes closer.

Original post by Another
I really don't think that's how marriages work.

Maybe you'll find a girl who is willing to work with you, 99% chance you won't. If you only decide to tell the girl you're gay after you're married, then that's you making this loving/caring support idea completely your decision and not hers at all. She might not want to compromise - and why should she?

If you remain Gay as an adult, either marry a man or don't marry at all. Please do not lie, and say that you romantically love someone when it's all false, that makes you a douche bag.

Well marrying a man is out of the question as we've already established, and I guess I'll just have to see what happens in the future with regards to my sexuality and if I find a woman who would be understanding etc, obviously I'm not going to lie to someone like that.

Original post by Kabulkid
have you had a boyfriend/done anything with a guy?

Never had a bf, I've kissed a guy and a girl but only playing Truth or Dare :')

Original post by Famokhan
Indeed it is true, not preaching just making you aware. But it is against Islam to be a homosexual, it is clearly stated in the holy Quran.

First of all as a straight muslim, I am also against what your saying and i find it deeply disrespectful the way you are talking to OP.

HE is a HOMOSEXUAL but has not commited HOMOSEXUAL Acts and he is going to Marry a woman! WHat is wrong with you. Allah almighty is the Ultimate judge not you, i commend my brother for trying to fix the problem if i may call it which he has. You should try to fix your own problems, starting with your arrogance!

Wow, thanks a lot! Couldn't have said it better myself, and it's really reassuring and humbling to see a Muslim who actually embodies the virtues a true Muslim should, being supportive and kind and not judging a fellow Muslim who is struggling and trying hard to work things out.

Original post by themorninglight
How old are you?

16, 17 in September.
Yeah, I'm male. Because I have no other choice. Who said anything about my parents? O.o It's my choice to be a Muslim and the reason I can't live life as a gay man is because I feel that it is against my religion and is a sin. In reality living my life for myself is exactly what I'm doing from my point of view.

why are you a muslim then
why are you a muslim then

Because that's what I believe is the truth and is the meaning of life.
Because that's what I believe is the truth and is the meaning of life.

were you raised muslim
were you raised muslim

Yeah
Yeah

so then you realise how utterly insignificant your belief is if it is dependent upon who you were born to? if you were born to a christian, you'd be telling me you're a christian; if you were born to a jewish family you'd be telling me you're a jew. what makes islam more true than any other religion out of the thousands that exist?
so then you realise how utterly insignificant your belief is if it is dependent upon who you were born to? if you were born to a christian, you'd be telling me you're a christian; if you were born to a jewish family you'd be telling me you're a jew. what makes islam more true than any other religion out of the thousands that exist?

My mother was born into a Catholic family and she's now a Muslim. My sister-in-law was born into an atheist family, she's now a Muslim. Technically, nothing makes Islam 'more true' than any other religion, but I guess unless you are religious and truly believe, you just won't get it. Allah guides those whom he chooses. Of course there's nothing I can say to make you believe any of it, but if the evidence was plain for everyone to see, it wouldn't be called a 'faith'.

Btw, Muslim believe that Christianity and Judaism are all sent from the same God but were updated versions of practically the same religion, and that Islam is the final one, but that's besides the point, you can research it yourself if you wanted to
is it hard?
is it hard?

Is what hard?

No I don't, I can still love someone unconditionally, and what else am I meant to do? Can't marry a man can I? xD

Assuming that you aren't a troll...
If you carry through and marry a girl, good on you bro. Takes major courage to do that.
{And Allah has given you spouses (azwāj) of your own kind, and has given you,
from your spouses, sons and grandsons, and has made provision of good things for you. Is it then in vanity that they believe and in the grace of Allah that they disbelieve?} [16:72]
The reference to procreation is significant, as one of the aims of marriage is indeed to bring forth new generations of humans who will worship Allah. Furthermore, much could be said about the word azwāj (sing. zawj) with its linguistic and Qur’anic meaning as “the opposite part of a pair”. One of the numerous evidences in the Qur’an of zawj meaning the opposite sex, and indeed a very relevant evidence in this context, is the following proclamation of Lut (peace be on him). Here it is evident that the spouses (azwāj) of the men addressed cannot be male, and that homosexual partners cannot be considered as azwāj:
{“What! Of all creatures do ye come unto the males, and leave the spouses (azwāj) your Lord created for you? Nay, you are a people exceeding limits.”} [26:165-6]
From such verses, we establish that marriage is only between a man and a woman. Therefore any sexual activity between two men or between two women is by necessity outside the realms of marriage and, by extension, outside the realms of permissibility. In other words, homosexual marriage is unsupportable within the Islamic legal system, and by definition any homosexual behaviour is fornication; indeed, it may be considered a level worse, by virtue of including the additional element of sexual perversion.
The prohibition of such acts extends not only to full sexual acts (e.g. where private parts touch and/or sexual climax is achieved), but indeed to any action characterised by homosexual desire. For example, for a man to hug another man or kiss his cheek is not prohibited in itself, and can in fact be a pleasant cultural custom and a manifestation of Islamic norms of brotherhood. However, where lustful desire exists, this action takes a different character altogether. Each of the men would be judged according to his intention. If one or both is intending to pursue his desire, then the action becomes forbidden and perhaps worthy of punishment by Allah.
Clearly, since Islam prohibits all same-sex relationships characterised by sexual desire, it is unacceptable for two men or two women to live together in a situation of “love”, replacing the heterosexual spousal relationship, even if they abstain from explicit sexual acts, and even if they shun all physical contact absolutely. Directing the love due to one’s spouse (i.e. of the opposite gender) to anybody else, of either gender, is condemnable according to the revelations of our Creator and Sustainer.
There are two hadiths that can be cited to cement this conclusion. The first teaches us that fornication is not confined to sexual intercourse, even though that is obviously the most serious form. “Written on the Son of Adam is the portion of zinā he will indulge in, from which there is no escape. The zinā of the eye is the look, the zinā of the ears is the listening, the zinā of the tongue is speech, the zinā of the hand is the grip, the zinā of the feet is the walking; the heart yearns and desires and the private parts approve all that or disapprove it.” [Bukhari/Muslim]
Scholars explain the detestable aspect of these actions as the motivation of illicit desire, i.e. looking lustfully at someone other than one’s spouse, and so on. Therefore, living in a homosexual relationship while avoiding full sexual acts cannot be excused. Furthermore, the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and give him peace) said, with a general meaning: “A man must not look at a man’s private parts nor must a woman look at a woman’s private parts; neither should two men lie naked under one cover, nor should two women lie naked under the same cover.” [Muslim]
We have concluded that ityān ar-rijāl or ityān adh-dhukrān (males’ approaching other men/males sexually) is a general concept, condemned by Allah Almighty on the tongue of His Messenger Lut (peace be on him) in general terms, not specified by a particular act. All same-sex relations characterised by desire are forbidden in Islam. However, homosexual sins are of different levels, and therefore would meet varying degrees of punishment in the Hereafter, as indeed in worldly life in such cases as punishments are applicable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending