The Student Room Group

Can IQs go up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kasa
The results were quite worrying, for punctuating the average results were scores that showed significant aspects mental retardation.

You have an undergraduate degree and you're about to start a Masters in a few weeks' time.

Whatever your limitations might (highly theoretically, according to free online IQ tests) be, you're working around them effectively.
Reply 21
Original post by hellodave5
I wouldn't dwell on it. I'm not sure what these sub-categories mean without descriptors really.
Can sort of see visuo-spatial and phonology maybe; problems with handwriting?

He did mention that I had a dysgraphic script
Reply 22
Original post by Klix88
You have an undergraduate degree and you're about to start a Masters in a few weeks' time.

Whatever your limitations might (highly theoretically, according to free online IQ tests) be, you're working around them effectively.

Thanks
Original post by Kasa
He did mention that I had a dysgraphic script

Sorry; didn't see that! Not consciously at least :P
Makes sense with the scores, then.
Reply 24
Sorry; didn't see that! Not consciously at least :P
Makes sense with the scores, then.

I know lingering unduly on this, but this is probably the reason why I am failing on both a career and academic root..
Original post by Kasa
I know lingering unduly on this, but this is probably the reason why I am failing on both a career and academic root..

What are your career plans?
Hows the academics going?
Reply 26
What are your career plans?
Hows the academics going?

Well I barely scraped a 2:2 on a Biomedical degree.. Decent A-levels -- BBBB.

My career aspiration to make documentaries.
Original post by Kasa
Well I barely scraped a 2:2 on a Biomedical degree.. Decent A-levels -- BBBB.

Well done on your degree. It's a tough 3 years!!
Your A levels are good.

Making documentaries depends on other factors and qualities which you may excel at, I'm sure it will go well for ya! They tend to be a team effort too?

Everyone has their weaknesses I guess. Just play to your strengths. I'm sure you have many. Besides, neuroplasticity is your friend; you can always improve your weaknesses :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Kasa

I really wonder whether you need to take a step back.

A few weeks ago (according to your TSR posts), your life's dream was to pursue creative writing. Now you want to make documentaries, but you're about to spend a lot of money on a Business Masters - which you don't seem very confident about and which doesn't seem to lead to either of your stated career interests.

Are you sure that the Masters you've applied for, is the right thing for you at this stage of your life? Your IQ is clearly not a problem, but disorganised thinking and a lack of consistency might be a bigger issue in the longer term.
Reply 29
Original post by Klix88
I really wonder whether you need to take a step back.

A few weeks ago (according to your TSR posts), your life's dream was to pursue creative writing. Now you want to make documentaries, but you're about to spend a lot of money on a Business Masters - which you don't seem very confident about and which doesn't seem to lead to either of your stated career interests.

Are you sure that the Masters you've applied for, is the right thing for you at this stage of your life? Your IQ is clearly not a problem, but disorganised thinking and a lack of consistency might be a bigger issue in the longer term.

Documentaries utilise an aspect of creative writing...

I am using this master's a step up to what my degree didn't provide me to bigger and better experiences. Like you said I am doubting whether this master's is tailored towards my skill-set and hence my IQ, which is why I am asking this particular question.
Reply 30
Original post by Kasa
Like you said I am doubting whether this master's is tailored towards my skill-set and hence my IQ, which is why I am asking this particular question.

Your choice of Masters course and your IQ are unrelated.

You're academically capable of achieving the Masters, otherwise you wouldn't have been offered a place.

Whether you've chosen the wrong course or not, is nothing to do with your IQ. They're two totally different things.
Reply 31
Original post by Klix88
Your choice of Masters course and your IQ are unrelated.

You're academically capable of achieving the Masters, otherwise you wouldn't have been offered a place.

Whether you've chosen the wrong course or not, is nothing to do with your IQ. They're two totally different things.

You're right as usual..

Thanks..
Original post by Kasa
They say that people with my IQ should seek jobs for those have no degrees...

IQ (especially as determined by online tests) is functionally meaningless. Don't worry about it in any way, and certainly don't take it into account when making decisions about your future.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by BlueSam3
IQ (especially as determined by online tests) is functionally meaningless. Don't worry about it in any way, and certainly don't take it into account when making decisions about your future.

But it would be fitting explanation to why I have been failure, hitherto.
Original post by Kasa

You haven't been a failure. You have been distinctly average, then managed to get into a masters course, which lifts you well up into the top few percent.
Reply 35
Original post by BlueSam3
You haven't been a failure. You have been distinctly average.

Which is related to my IQ that is "distinctly" albeit slightly below average.
Reply 36
Original post by Kasa

Your undergrad degree result was a 2:2 - that was NOT a failure. It wasn't what you wanted or expected, but it's by no means a failure. And the fact that you now have a Masters offer is another success.
Reply 37
Original post by Klix88
Your undergrad degree result was a 2:2 - that was NOT a failure. It wasn't what you wanted or expected, but it's by no means a failure. And the fact that you now have a Masters offer is another success.

I know.. Thanks; means a lot to me..
Original post by Kasa
Which is related to my IQ that is "distinctly" albeit slightly below average.

You haven't been below average in any way (the average is still "never went to university"), and the two are not significantly correlated: there's a reason that no university asks for an IQ score to get in: it simply isn't related to success in a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending