The Student Room Group

Braces

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Stinkum
Hello. The mould doesn't hurt at all, neither does the X-ray, so fear not. :smile:

But I'm very surprised to hear that you still have baby teeth to be honest, I had no idea people could have braces fitted if they still had baby teeth.

Anyway, regarding the tooth extractions: I had braces for over 4 years, I needed 4 tooth extractions. The tooth extractions were surprisingly painless (I'm almost tempted to write 'pleasant' but at the end of the day, it's a tooth extraction after all, can't be pleasant!). Anyway...they inject anaesthetic into the gum around the teeth to be extracted, the procedure is 100% painless. I'm normally quite a squeamish coward, but I didn't flinch at all while he pulled out my teeth, the anaesthetic is 100% effective. You will definitely still fully experience the sensation of your tooth being extracted, but there's no pain...it's actually quite a weird sensation! But don't worry about it. Although...on one particular tooth, it was painful when he first tried to pull it out, so I asked him to inject more anaesthetic, and that did the job.

After you have teeth extracted, your mouth is completely numb for a while, it's funny, you won't be able to talk properly!

With regards to what you can eat: make sure you cut apples into small pieces using a knife. Same goes for carrots. It's important you don't bite down on hard foods like raw vegetables, it could cause a bracket to become loose from the enamel.

Thanks very much!

Yes, I still have a few baby teeth, simply because, although they have been wobbly for ages, they just don't come out! The dentist told me to try and get them to come out by the time I go for my next appointment in two weeks...I'm not sure there has been much improvement in wobbliness, but I have tried wobbling them a bit every day and biting an apple with those baby teeth.

Any tips regarding this, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by sophie !
Thanks very much!

Yes, I still have a few baby teeth, simply because, although they have been wobbly for ages, they just don't come out! The dentist told me to try and get them to come out by the time I go for my next appointment in two weeks...I'm not sure there has been much improvement in wobbliness, but I have tried wobbling them a bit every day and biting an apple with those baby teeth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember that stage, when the tooth is wobbly but not quite ready to come out yet. I used to play around with them to try and make them more wobbly. Once, I think I wrapped some floss around one tooth and gently tried to pull it or to loosen it. I think you have to just fight through the squeamish feeling and go for it! Keep playing around with them, nudging them around back and forth gently, with your tongue or fingers. If they're quite wobbly now, then they should come out very soon.
Reply 22
Original post by Stinkum
I remember that stage, when the tooth is wobbly but not quite ready to come out yet. I used to play around with them to try and make them more wobbly. Once, I think I wrapped some floss around one tooth and gently tried to pull it or to loosen it. I think you have to just fight through the squeamish feeling and go for it! Keep playing around with them, nudging them around back and forth gently, with your tongue or fingers. If they're quite wobbly now, then they should come out very soon.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Midgeymoo17;51988865"]
Original post by sophie !
Thanks very much!

Just get a letter from your ortho to you dentist instructing him to remove it. Far less painful and makes sure it's done. But more than anything get it out if you have been told to. If you do not you increase your chances of developing an impaction.

I have had two (canines) impactions I will tell you this is not pleasant. It will require surgery to either extract or expose the adult tooth. And depending on how deep it is depends how complex the treatment is. One of mine was really complicated. The surgery lasted nearly an hour and had to have parts of some bones in the roof of my mouth removed. Six months post surgery I am having to use weak acid to burn away part of my gum as in the surgery they could not get at the right surface of the tooth when placing the bracket. This meant that it could be pulled near to eruption point but eruption would happen over the arch wire. It will only take two weeks and does not hurt to get expose enough of the right tooth surface. But I really wish my dentist had identified the problem earlier, got my baby teeth out and possibly saved me this fag! Been in braces two years with this problem and it has basically stalled my treatment.

I am am sorry this is not meant to scare you. None of it is really that unpleasant and all is bearable but getting those teeth out will reduce (not eliminate) the chances of it happening to you. If fact I had my dentist push baby teeth out eventually but it made no difference as they were not the only reasons an impacion occurred and I had finished growing.
Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending