The Student Room Group

Should I change instructors??

So, got my test in just under a month, very confident overall when it comes to driving had around 16 lessons but plan to fit another 15 or so in before my test taking them every couple of days.

My question is all this time my instructor hasnt been teaching me to apply the handbrake when I stop At traffic lights? Only when I park up or come to a stop sign?

Will this cause me to fail on the test, he's been teaching me to use the footbrake and bringing the clutch to go.

Could I fail if I don't use the handbrake when stationary at the traffic lights for example?
Reply 1
Anyone?? Just need to know asap bc my test is soon and don't want to book another lesson if I should change instructors

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put the handbrake on when I am stopped at traffic lights for safety reasons. The handbrake is there to stop you from accidentally rolling forward or backwards and injuring someone or damaging another car.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cathyhelen
I put the handbrake on when I am stopped at traffic lights for safety reasons. The handbrake is there to stop you from accidentally rolling forward or backwards and injuring someone or damaging another car.

But do you think I'll fail if I don't apply the handbrake? My instructor never told me about putting the handbrake on at traffic lights or in traffic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itsthatguy
But do you think I'll fail if I don't apply the handbrake? My instructor never told me about putting the handbrake on at traffic lights or in traffic

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

[h="2"]114[/h]
I hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you won't. My instructor (who used to be an examiner) said that the '5 second rule' applies, that is if you have to stop for more than 5 secs then put the handbrake on. In the test, the examiner probably won't care too much though, although might be a minor fault at the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Asklepios
No you won't. My instructor (who used to be an examiner) said that the '5 second rule' applies, that is if you have to stop for more than 5 secs then put the handbrake on. In the test, the examiner probably won't care too much though, although might be a minor fault at the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I NEVER use the handbrake that's why I'm asking. Even after 5-10 seconds in traffic I don't put it uo because from lesson 1 he's said it's not necessary?

I did ask him as I switched from another instructor and he used to tell me to put it up but this one said some people do others don't? I'm going to ask him next lesson, a couple of my friends have passed with him I need to ask them if he taught them to use the handbrake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

wow that's put me in a bit of a dilemma now as I've got my test in 3 weeks and my instructor never taught me to use it unless parking!! I may mention it next time although I have before and he dismissed it saying some people do some people don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow that's put me in a bit of a dilemma now as I've got my test in 3 weeks and my instructor never taught me to use it unless parking!! I may mention it next time although I have before and he dismissed it saying some people do some people don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been taught Hill starts? You also need to use the handbrake for those too otherwise if you roll backwards that could be even more serious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Have you been taught Hill starts? You also need to use the handbrake for those too otherwise if you roll backwards that could be even more serious.

Yes hill starts and stop signs I use handbrake, just not when stationary at traffic lights?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes hill starts and stop signs I use handbrake, just not when stationary at traffic lights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, sorry I have heard about some bad instructors. I have also had personal experience of being rushed along too quickly before I learnt how to use the clutch confidently.

I changed driving instructors and that made a huge difference. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Ok, sorry I have heard about some bad instructors. I have also had personal experience of being rushed along too quickly before I learnt how to use the clutch confidently.

I changed driving instructors and that made a huge difference. :smile:

Hmmm I'm considering doing the same but I've gone pretty far with this one, and my test in 3 weeks! :sigh:

Don't get me wrong I'm confident using the clutch, I can go quickly and totally fine with just using footbrake and clutch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm I'm considering doing the same but I've gone pretty far with this one, and my test in 3 weeks! :sigh:

Don't get me wrong I'm confident using the clutch, I can go quickly and totally fine with just using footbrake and clutch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do not have any other worries and if you are confident with everything else I would stay as you are. :smile:

I had a niggle with my instructor about not running over a pheasant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
I didn't use the hand break at all when I took my test (apart from when i did my pulling to the side of the road bits) mainly because I've got a back problem and its easier for me to leave my foot on the break than keep lifting it up and down
handbrake thing depends on your clutch control, i stopped using it unless it was ridiculously steep.
Reply 15
But do you think I'll fail if I don't apply the handbrake?
Possibly.. if there's a cock up and you end up losing control.
My instructor never told me about putting the handbrake on at traffic lights or in traffic
I think we've found the flaw in your instructor. Cathyhelen is correct about rule 114 of the Highway Code, and remember you should always be putting the highway code into practice in your driving (and on your test).

Personally, as long as your instructor has taught you to use the handbrake on hills and at stop signs, then it's hardly worth changing instructors, but I'd hit him over the head with the Highway Code rhythmically while saying "1-1-4 !".

On a side note, you seem rather worried about this whole "on my test" scenario. Ask yourself if you would normally and instinctively use the handbrake when stopped at lights on your own after a few seconds. You shouldn't be driving any differently on test than you would in reality on your own. If your gut feeling tells you to put the handbrake on at lights normally, then do so on your test.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope, don't worry. If you use it, it's safer. If you don't, doesn't matter as long as you don't roll back or go accidentally forward.

During my test I never ever used the handbrake beside when I was doing the manoeuvre. I passed with 0 minors.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a bit puzzled as to why a minor issue such as using the handbrake should cause you to consider changing instructor. What if you did and the next instructor taught you to use the handbrake but contradicted something that your current instructor has taught you? What would you do then? Change again?

The handbrake is a tool which is provided to you as a driver. If it makes sense to use it, then use it; if it doesn't, then don't.

As for the test, very few of my pupils have cause to use the handbrake on test other than the situations previously mentioned. None of them has ever received a minor...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending