The Student Room Group

Digital Spy Forums - another bash!

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know what is up with the Digital Spy forums at the moment...

Recently, one of their members has been re-registering under multiple usernames. This is against the rules of DS. However, what DS did was absolutely ridiculous and outrageous, see here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73774803#post73774803

They absolutely ruined their CTAM thread, by deleting the posts of the user - despite none of the user's posts breaking any rules! Plus, it caused chaos!

So, a quick question:
1) do you think this was necessary?
2) To the mods of TSR - would you delete whole posts like that, that are vital to the flow of a thread?

I think I will stick to TSR now, and totally forget the DS Forums.

What do you think?
Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95

Just thought I'd let you know what is up with the Digital Spy forums at the moment...

Erm why?
Hi

There's a lot wrong with the Digital Spy forums from what I can see - the main one being that it is full of the most negative people who complain about absolutely everything. The odd user is ok, but most of them seem like the kind of people who you'd do everything in your power to avoid. I'm not a user, but having read many threads in that forum, it doesn't seem to be a nice atmosphere at all and your thread about the application of their rules isn't the first I've seen here or indeed elsewhere. That is what I would say is the problem with the Digital Spy forums.

/ Rant over. :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Erm why?

Because (a) they unfairly banned me about 9 months ago, and (b) they shouldn't be deleting posts which don't break the rules?

They were being total fascists there.
Reply 4
Lol, is this serious, since when was a CTAM thread that important, its just a bit of fun :lolwut:
1. Not really, but it's their site, they can do what they like, so I really don't care
2. No, but that's primarily because it would be a boring waste of time

One could argue however that since the rules prohibit a banned user from posting on the site, any post they make is therefore a rule-breaking post regardless of its content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps your anger should be directed to the person that continues to violate our community guidelines by re-registering hundreds of times to disrupt our forums.

Please tell me that's not you :facepalm2:

As PT has said, posts made on dupes by banned users are typically deemed rule breaking content and can be removed, especially when they're as, ahem, committed as the DS bunch supposedly are. They're very much within their right to remove them if they wish.
Reply 7
Original post by Potally_Tissed
1. Not really, but it's their site, they can do what they like, so I really don't care
2. No, but that's primarily because it would be a boring waste of time

One could argue however that since the rules prohibit a banned user from posting on the site, any post they make is therefore a rule-breaking post regardless of its content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK that's great :smile: I won't be [re]joining their site anytime soon if that's how they want to moderate

I thought though, that if you wasn't a member of a site anymore, then you would no longer be subject to the T&C's of the site though?

Though your point is very much valid and that is probably what DS did.

Nope it's not me :smile: Although I have had a few accounts with them, I certainly haven't re-joined that many times.

I can say though, that I do know the member that they were talking about. However, they were being unfair as this time, it was actually the member's friends account, and not the [PBU] member himself!

DS are very strict, I've found that out before. But - they only just started doing this, when PBU's used to post the posts were left in?

I suppose DS now just take an extremely dim view of PBUs...
Reply 8
Original post by Olie
Lol, is this serious, since when was a CTAM thread that important, its just a bit of fun :lolwut:

Well yeah I suppose so, but isn't it supposed to be a continuous count to the million? Isn't doing what the [fascist] DS Moderators did, breaking that continuous count?

The posters over there got very angry at the mods - and I don't blame them :yep:
Hi

Recently, one of their members has been re-registering under multiple usernames. This is against the rules of DS. However, what DS did was absolutely ridiculous and outrageous, see here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73774803#post73774803

They absolutely ruined their CTAM thread, by deleting the posts of the user - despite none of the user's posts breaking any rules! Plus, it caused chaos!

So, a quick question:
1) do you think this was necessary?
2) To the mods of TSR - would you delete whole posts like that, that are vital to the flow of a thread?

I think I will stick to TSR now, and totally forget the DS Forums.

What do you think?
Thanks! :smile:

oh dear

As before

1) Don't really care, but I hear that DS can be quite draconian(?)
2) PRobably not, but again because I cba. Also on a CTAM thread, it seems a little harsh to remove posts with one number, because it disrupts the entire thread

Original post by toronto353
There's a lot wrong with the Digital Spy forums from what I can see - the main one being that it is full of the most negative people who complain about absolutely everything. The odd user is ok, but most of them seem like the kind of people who you'd do everything in your power to avoid. I'm not a user, but having read many threads in that forum, it doesn't seem to be a nice atmosphere at all and your thread about the application of their rules isn't the first I've seen here or indeed elsewhere. That is what I would say is the problem with the Digital Spy forums.

/ Rant over. :tongue:

Tbh, if you came to TSR, you'd think it's just somewhere people complain about Muslims and women
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies

Tbh, if you came to TSR, you'd think it's just somewhere people complain about Muslims and women

You're right of course, but it's much worse on digital spy. Look in the comment section of any article of that website or any thread within that forum and all you'll see is negativity. It's not like here where even if you see threads complaining about Muslims and women, you'll see people defending them as well as complaining about them.

Digital Spy is nothing like that - it's pure negativity and complaining and that's being kind!
(edited 9 years ago)
I used to mod on Digital Spy and it was a nightmare. Then the whole thing changed in terms of layout and after a short while that was it for me. It was a great forum back in the day but nothing special anymore. I had plenty of good friends on there as well that I'd met in person etc and even they packed it in.
You're right of course, but it's much worse on digital spy. Look in the comment section of any article of that website or any thread within that forum and all you'll see is negativity. It's not like here where even if you see threads complaining about Muslims and women, you'll see people defending them as well as complaining about them.

Digital Spy is nothing like that - it's pure negativity and complaining and that's being kind!

Soo like mumsnet? But not as bad?
Because (a) they unfairly banned me about 9 months ago, and (b) they shouldn't be deleting posts which don't break the rules?

They were being total fascists there.

It's happened on TSR too so

Mumsnet's somewhere between TSR and Digital Spy, I'd say.
Reply 15
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's happened on TSR too so

Quite possibly but I doubt TSR mods would totally ruin the flow of a whole thread, just for one PBU.

In any sense it is best to keep the numbers, despite the content of the rest of the posts and/or the user's status (and previous statuses if a PBU)
omg Spotty! :rofl:

and the CTAM thing, thats dumb :colonhash:
Reply 17

I haven't been on Mumsnet before, and don't plan on doing so - but I have heard it can be pretty bad.

Though based on recent activity, I think DS is worse. Though tbh I can't really comment as I haven't experienced Mumsnet before.
Quite possibly but I doubt TSR mods would totally ruin the flow of a whole thread, just for one PBU.

In any sense it is best to keep the numbers, despite the content of the rest of the posts and/or the user's status (and previous statuses if a PBU)

Nah. Seems a little "harsh" It also requires more effort, so it's a lose/lose
I haven't been on Mumsnet before, and don't plan on doing so - but I have heard it can be pretty bad.

Though based on recent activity, I think DS is worse. Though tbh I can't really comment as I haven't experienced Mumsnet before.

Mumsnet's somewhere between TSR and Digital Spy, I'd say.

Ah fair enough. I heard that was REALLY bad. Now if DS is worse than that..

Ah fair enough. I heard that was REALLY bad. Now if DS is worse than that..

Occasionally there is some useful advice on there. DS is far worse than mumsnet.

Latest

Trending

Trending