The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Durham, Newcastle, Oxford Brookes, St Andrews all get rah stereotypes. I'm sure there are more and some of the stereotypes are more warranted than others.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hahaha this guy p

yes it was a grammatical mistake

but I think my english and irish skills are more than adequate

thanks for a world class irish education system

as for the joke/grammatical error I hope your grammatical nazi outlook doesnt kick off in this country

I don't have an answer to that. You've clearly shown me the error of my ways. Thank you. :getmecoat:
Original post by izzyb96
Personally, I know a lot of people who would be intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge but don't want to (myself being included). Persoanlly I don't think I would fit in and it's not the kind of uni life I'm after!

What makes you think you wouldn't fit in, out of interest? :smile:
Original post by ellie.rew
I don't have an answer to that. You've clearly shown me the error of my ways. Thank you. :getmecoat:

no hard feelings I just dont get your angle p

so you an irishman whos emigrated to the uk then:?
Reply 124
Original post by Novascope
Hold up, but on your profile, you flaunt your predicted grade. You might not get it either. You also got a conditional at Cambridge (now I understand why you've bothered me). You may have firmed it, but you might not get in? So please, stop trying to put me down just because I'm not going to Cambridge. Bye.

-Only a show off actually puts their GCSE's and A-Levels up on their profile... Pretty big headed if you ask me.

I'll get in. I only needed a B in four out of six units so it's hardly a difficult offer, more of a "just to check you've bothered to glance at the textbook" offer. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just trying to show you that you're ignorant about how likely it is to get an offer, grades really don't mean much when just about every other applicant will be exactly the same (or better) on paper. Grades mean jack **** if you screw up in other parts of the application (pre-interview tests, TSA, etc.)

I put my grades on my profile as I was getting loads of PMs asking what my grades were from people seeing me post on the Cambridge offer holders/applicants threads. It's hardly showing off anyway, I would think I'm average to below average in terms of grades for NatScis (and certainly far below average for overall UMS).
Original post by alow
I'll get in. I only needed a B in four out of six units so it's hardly a difficult offer, more of a "just to check you've bothered to glance at the textbook" offer. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just trying to show you that you're ignorant about how likely it is to get an offer, grades really don't mean much when just about every other applicant will be exactly the same (or better) on paper. Grades mean jack **** if you screw up in other parts of the application (pre-interview tests, TSA, etc.)

I put my grades on my profile as I was getting loads of PMs asking what my grades were from people seeing me post on the Cambridge offer holders/applicants threads. It's hardly showing off anyway, I would think I'm average to below average in terms of grades for NatScis (and certainly far below average for overall UMS).

I only said that because it's a creative course. You should be able to understand that. Universites are more willing to consider people who don't meet grades onto a creative course because with a creative course, what matters more is talent and experience, not being able to recite the periodic table for example. So that's why I said what I said because even if I got a grade lower, I could still probably get in. Not trying to say I'm great or anything like that.
Original post by alow

As much as I do agree with you with some points, you seem to have a superiority complex regarding Cambridge. Going to Oxbridge isn't for everyone and neither should it be. I got an offer for English Lit at Cambridge, along with UCL and St Andrews but I chose to firm Newcastle and put Edinburgh as an insurance because I loved both universities and considered the student-life more akin to what I was looking for. Just saying.
Original post by Wattsy
Durham, Newcastle, Oxford Brookes, St Andrews all get rah stereotypes. I'm sure there are more and some of the stereotypes are more warranted than others.

I'd say Durham and St Andrews were a little posher than Newcastle from my open days (not considerably though) but I turned down both for Newcastle. :tongue: I think at every top university there'll be a lot of "rah" types but, ultimately, the difference between universities in similar positions regarding the posh student population isn't that significant, I don't think. Well I didn't actually applied to St Andrews (I went for Edinburgh), but I still would have turned it down from the open day there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bradford.
You'd be surprised, but a lot of connected, middle-class, 'posh' people go to Cass/City university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruthlessv
Bradford.

I second that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exeter!
Original post by Wisefire
You'd be surprised, but a lot of connected, middle-class, 'posh' people go to Cass/City university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If by posh you mean students from overseas.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
If by posh you mean students from overseas.

Firstly, I like the place, and I suppose these replies may or may not mean something to you, considering you're going there lol (which by the way well done mate; the impression I got from the place was genuinely extremely strong when I went there, especially with regards to career prospects, and I myself am now considering IFRM there).

Yeah, pretty much that, but I've been there twice now (on two of their taster courses), and I must say I did notice an air of confidence and general middle-class-ish-ness with the UK-based students, if you know what I mean... Hard to describe, but with Cass at least (cos I went on a taster course for Economics at City as well as IFRM at Cass), the students there were more career-focused than I thought. Certainly, there was a clear leaning for career paths, and I know I'd appreciate being in such an environment to be honest.

Genuinely considering Cass now. Good luck there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know why Oxford Brookes has so many posh, rich students?
Original post by Wisefire
Firstly, I like the place, and I suppose these replies may or may not mean something to you, considering you're going there lol (which by the way well done mate; the impression I got from the place was genuinely extremely strong when I went there, especially with regards to career prospects, and I myself am now considering IFRM there).

Yeah, pretty much that, but I've been there twice now (on two of their taster courses), and I must say I did notice an air of confidence and general middle-class-ish-ness with the UK-based students, if you know what I mean... Hard to describe, but with Cass at least (cos I went on a taster course for Economics at City as well as IFRM at Cass), the students there were more career-focused than I thought. Certainly, there was a clear leaning for career paths, and I know I'd appreciate being in such an environment to be honest.

Genuinely considering Cass now. Good luck there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Appreciated... all the best in whatever decision you do decide to make.
Durham, St Andrews, Imperial etc.
Original post by MancBoy
Jack Wills, beach blonde hair, white iphone, Uggs, fake tan, hair tied up in a bun, leggings, uni hoody, raspy posh accent, Starbucks, double/triple barrel name - This is nearly every girl I see at university.

Where is that, if I may ask? :smile:
How is Manchester guys?
Original post by Junglee
Anyone know why Oxford Brookes has so many posh, rich students?

Dumb rich people thought they were applying to Oxford, innit.

Latest