The Student Room Group

Study shows 50% of women would lie about the paternity of their child...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
Yes, but given that the source is That's Life! magazine, it's hardly the best representation of women overall...

They commissioned the research, doesn't mean that they used their own readers.
Original post by StevieA
They've already managed to do it in France, a man can only get one with the approval of his wife and a special court order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_testing#France

Feminists denying biology, tale as old as time . Sometimes I wonder who hates science more, christians or feminists?

that is shocking
Original post by lucaf
So you think it is ok for women to lie about paternity or contraception? I mean if you didn't you wouldn't have come in and insulted everyone for saying that is a bad thing right? :rolleyes:

No.

The results are clearly exaggerated. Surveys do not prove anything.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

Still only ranks for reliability just above 'people down the pub'.
Original post by PythianLegume
It's like getting your opinion of men from the readers of Nuts magazine. :tongue:

Or the users of TSR...
Original post by I'veGotAHadron
If you believe OP then you're delusional.

What part do you disbelieve?

A survey was carried out, which found certain results. Some of those results were reported in the linked news story.

(I can't remember if OP added much in the original post, but I don't think he did.)
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

"In the poll of 5,000 women for That’s Life! magazine" reads rather more like it was a poll of their readers than a poll carried out externally.
Reply 27
Original post by I'veGotAHadron
No.

The results are clearly exaggerated. Surveys do not prove anything.

oh yeah I agree, but you are calling people losers for being disgusted by the results (even if it was an unrepresentative sample).
It's like getting your opinion of men from the readers of Nuts magazine. :tongue:

Assuming they polled their readers as opposed to the general population, then I entirely agree with this. Their average reader is probably not a graduate from a decent university, for a start, so most of TSR should find such women don't cross their path in life too often.

What are your thoughts on the French paternity law though?
Reply 29
Original post by ClickItBack
Assuming they polled their readers as opposed to the general population, then I entirely agree with this. Their average reader is probably not a graduate from a decent university, for a start, so most of TSR should find such women don't cross their path in life too often.

The most worrying aspect of that law is how little coverage it got and how little outrage it caused. It's almost like society is being boiled alive like a frog.

I think it's a gross violation of men's rights to deny them paternity testing, given the impact this has on their life. While I agree that fatherhood is essentially social (in that you don't have to be a biological father to bring a child up properly), this ignores the fact that people in our society want to bring up their own children, not other men's.
Original post by StevieA
The most worrying aspect of that law is how little coverage it got and how little outrage it caused. It's almost like society is being boiled alive like a frog.

Are you an expert on the French media? :tongue:
Reply 32
Are you an expert on the French media? :tongue:

Nope, but any similar law in any country that would be half as discriminating against women would receive huge international cover and make the social media blow up.
Most women wouldn't shag someone else if they are in a committed relationship, I do think paternity tests should happen after birth, I don't get why women get so offended by it, it's making sure a guy isn't bringing up someone else's offspring for 18 years which imho is the worst betrayal.
I think it's a gross violation of men's rights to deny them paternity testing, given the impact this has on their life. While I agree that fatherhood is essentially social (in that you don't have to be a biological father to bring a child up properly), this ignores the fact that people in our society want to bring up their own children, not other men's.

Do you then not feel that, if we are going by actual real world impacts (rather than touted egalitarian ideology) of modern day feminist activist groups (and as distinct from feminist groups of the past), that it is difficult for any egalitarian minded person to associate themselves with them?

And yes, I understand that modern day feminist groups fall on a spectrum and are highly diverse - but actions speak louder than words.
Original post by scrotgrot
An important political goal for feminist pressure groups at the minute is to make paternity testing illegal. There is no rational argument for this beyond "empowering" women to use men as sperm donors and then wallets.

Financial manipulation surely has to be as a direct result of not being promoted or paid as much as men though? Surely if this was more equal then women wouldn't have the need to manipulate men for cash and could pay for childcare etc. Slightly off-point but it does annoy me when people moan about men paying childcare when it's harder for a woman to get properly promoted and compensated in a job often because they have a child or even might have one. Do you want these kids to have a completely **** life in poverty or something?

Anyone who lies about contraception, paternity of the child etc is obviously scum though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you then not feel that, if we are going by actual real world impacts (rather than touted egalitarian ideology) of modern day feminist activist groups (and as distinct from feminist groups of the past), that it is difficult for any egalitarian minded person to associate themselves with them?

And yes, I understand that modern day feminist groups fall on a spectrum and are highly diverse - but actions speak louder than words.

You've answered your own question. There are certain groups that an egalitarian would want to distance themselves from, and these ones tend to get the most media attention. The fact is that we basically have equality in law in the UK. Calls to bring in new laws always grab the media's attention, but the sexism we deal with today is not one of laws. It is one of society, and can only be overcome by societal change, rather than legal change. But it's not a newsworthy story 'feminists attempt to raise awareness of sexism' or 'feminists want men to stop being sexist, and here's their justification'.
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Financial manipulation surely has to be as a direct result of not being promoted or paid as much as men though? Surely if this was more equal then women wouldn't have the need to manipulate men for cash and could pay for childcare etc. Slightly off-point but it does annoy me when people moan about men paying childcare when it's harder for a woman to get properly promoted and compensated in a job.

Anyone who lies about contraception, paternity of the child etc is obviously scum though.

People cannot still seriously be making this point, can they?

Just because women don't get paid as much on average (although younger women have actually been shown to out-earn younger men in some studies) doesn't mean there's anything unfair going on.
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Financial manipulation surely has to be as a direct result of not being promoted or paid as much as men though? Surely if this was more equal then women wouldn't have the need to manipulate men for cash and could pay for childcare etc. Slightly off-point but it does annoy me when people moan about men paying childcare when it's harder for a woman to get properly promoted and compensated in a job often because they have a child or even might have one. Do you want these kids to have a completely **** life in poverty or something?

That's the most apologetic bull**** I've ever read.

I suggest that you spend some time looking inward and trying to find and root out any indoctrination that you discover.
You've answered your own question. There are certain groups that an egalitarian would want to distance themselves from, and these ones tend to get the most media attention. The fact is that we basically have equality in law in the UK. Calls to bring in new laws always grab the media's attention, but the sexism we deal with today is not one of laws. It is one of society, and can only be overcome by societal change, rather than legal change. But it's not a newsworthy story 'feminists attempt to raise awareness of sexism' or 'feminists want men to stop being sexist, and here's their justification'.

My point is that we can consolidate the diversity to see what the actual tangible effects of the modern day movements are as a whole. So far, it seems to be dominantly focused on getting more women into positions of power e.g. CEOs and MPs, and not even by the route of challenging the idea that women cannot attain these positions, but rather by brute affirmative action and quotas - as well as stuff like this paternity testing law. In fact, they have been singularly ineffective at getting women into so called 'areas of concern', such as STEM - since the 80s, the % of women in most STEM subjects has actually declined. Clearly when the movement(s) try to take the softer approach of encouragement and challenging gender role, they fail, and hence they move on to female-specific monetary awards, quotas, and all the other stuff any true egalitarian would quail at.

It is only the fact that the net impact of all those feminist groups has crossed over from egalitarianism into using any method whatsoever to get women 'represented' that has made me less and less inclined to describe myself as a feminist these days. The net impact of the movement is antithetical to my values and sense of fairness.

Quick Reply

Latest