The Student Room Group

Help me overcome my summer boredom

Having raked up 100+ hours on football manager, and an exponentially longer time watching Netflix, I feel I should do something useful with my time between now and uni.

Normally whenever I get bored I impulsively come up with loads of ideas and never carry them through- like one time i tried to teach myself italian and gave up within a few weeks.

I have no holidays to look forward to, very little money, but i do have a 6 day paper round - but that's only in the mornings so i still have the rest of the day to contend with.

And before anyone suggests it, no, compulsive masturbation is not a viable solution.
Why do you feel you have to be productive?

This is basically your last summer holiday where you don't have to worry about anything at all. After that, you'll always have looming exams or no summer holiday at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Genocidal
Why do you feel you have to be productive?

This is basically your last summer holiday where you don't have to worry about anything at all. After that, you'll always have looming exams or no summer holiday at all.

I dunno, a bit of sitting round doing nothing is nice after a year's hard work, but over a few months it quickly becomes very tiresome.

Plus if it's like you say and I won't have any free time in summers once i go to uni, then surely I SHOULD use this free time to do stuff I wouldn't normally be able to fit in to a busy schedule?
what are you studying at uni? Maybe start looking at some of the things you'll learn
Reply 4
I suggest learning about something that interests you, such as a language (besides Italian), a subject, a skill, exercise, etc. Learn to juggle, pen spin, play a new sport, do 100 push ups, read up on quantum loop gravity using books from the library/online, and explore your city by foot.

You could also volunteer. Other than all that, I've got nothing. :dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
what are you studying at uni? Maybe start looking at some of the things you'll learn

History. Yeah good idea, but I don't really want to get excited or do any prep work for it until I get my results and everything is certain. I guess I could do some general reading around it.
Monster Hunter.
You're welcome.
Original post by lukeface
compulsive masturbation is not a viable solution.

:getmecoat:
Reply 8
Having raked up 100+ hours on football manager, and an exponentially longer time watching Netflix, I feel I should do something useful with my time between now and uni.

Normally whenever I get bored I impulsively come up with loads of ideas and never carry them through- like one time i tried to teach myself italian and gave up within a few weeks.

I have no holidays to look forward to, very little money, but i do have a 6 day paper round - but that's only in the mornings so i still have the rest of the day to contend with.

And before anyone suggests it, no, compulsive masturbation is not a viable solution.

What and you consider that a WASTE OF TIME?!

Getting Aberdeen to win the Scottish Premier League > Straight A*s at GCSE
Reply 9
Original post by Vian
I suggest learning about something that interests you, such as a language (besides Italian), a subject, a skill, exercise, etc. Learn to juggle, pen spin, play a new sport, do 100 push ups, read up on quantum loop gravity using books from the library/online, and explore your city by foot.

You could also volunteer. Other than all that, I've got nothing. :dontknow:

Just out of interest (I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and assume at the suggestion you may have done it), do you know the best way of doing such a thing? I would like to improve my German vocab over the summer however I cannot find a proper way of doing it, other than learning from lists which gets so mindnumblingly boring I give up after 5 minutes lol. Not sure if I'm missing something or what?
get a girlfriend?
Reply 11
Original post by AdamCee
Just out of interest (I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and assume at the suggestion you may have done it), do you know the best way of doing such a thing? I would like to improve my German vocab over the summer however I cannot find a proper way of doing it, other than learning from lists which gets so mindnumblingly boring I give up after 5 minutes lol. Not sure if I'm missing something or what?

Unfortunately I've never learnt an additional language! I plan to, but have yet to get around to it.
Reply 12
Original post by AdamCee
What and you consider that a WASTE OF TIME?!

Getting Aberdeen to win the Scottish Premier League > Straight A*s at GCSE

absolutely not a waste of time, but I was recently turned down from 4 international positions despite a fantastic domestic record and have rage quit.
absolutely not a waste of time, but I was recently turned down from 4 international positions despite a fantastic domestic record and have rage quit.

Ouch that really does suck. Ok I understand your frustration. Remember though, when all else fails, no matter who leaves you, FM will always be there <3
Reply 14
Original post by AdamCee
Ouch that really does suck. Ok I understand your frustration. Remember though, when all else fails, no matter who leaves you, FM will always be there <3

Absolutely right. FM understands me. We may fight sometimes, but FM remains the only true constant in my life.
Original post by Kabulkid
get a girlfriend?

Don't do this.

Not now.

Personally I was part of a hardcore World of Warcraft raiding guild to clear all of the current content before I swore to myself I'd quit when I started university.

I cleared it. I quit.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest