The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
Why are 95% of ex muslims south asian?
I honestly think you guys became atheist due to your cultural/personal issues and not Islam itself.

Islam is very much forced onto South Asian's. They think issues such as arranged marriage for example are Islamic.
I hope you realise Islam can also be linked to science. There are soo many things in the Qur'an which were revealed way before scientists even acknowledged it.

If I send you a quick vid (which is honestly interesting both to nonmuslims and muslims) concerning this will you watch it?

Btw , just in case you think i'm trying to 'lure you in' back to Islam, I can assure you i'm not :smile:

Oh please the Qu'ran is so ambiguous it's pointless. It says the Earth is 'spread out' and some people interpret that as meaning spherical.
Original post by tabmax22
Science does not claim to have all the answers. Science is open to falsification and is willing to accept evidence which contradicts it, unlike religion. Yes, science does not have all the answers but it seeks to find out the answers in a sensible manner. Religion, however, seeks to answer questions by just filling in the blanks with its dogmatic ideologies: 'Well if there isn't any possible explanation to it, it must have been God!'.

Or when bad things happen to good people, then "God is testing them". Testing them for what, exactly? What was God testing the people for on Flight MH17? Lol just a few things that get me annoyed :tongue:
Science does not claim to have all the answers. Science is open to falsification and is willing to accept evidence which contradicts it, unlike religion. Yes, science does not have all the answers but it seeks to find out the answers in a sensible manner. Religion, however, seeks to answer questions by just filling in the blanks with its dogmatic ideologies: 'Well if there isn't any possible explanation to it, it must have been God!'.

Well said.

Also, it's almost funny how 'aka r' believes that atheists have a 'way of life' and that this is best represented by 'slags on a friday evening'... :facepalm:
Reply 64
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
yh you 'coverted' to atheism at 15, that says it all about you.

Says it all?

Excuse me for being the curious child who sought to understand the truth. Should I apologise for not conforming to what I was presented with and thinking for myself?
It's great to not be bounded by medieval nonsense rules which are incompatible with the modern 21st century. It is liberating and a form of empowerment.

Such as........

If you were a Girl I would understand = but your a guy. Only rules that apply to you are to five pillars which I'd hardly think is medieval nonsense.

Do you think this of all religions or Islam more than others.
Original post by Harvey Dent

Hmm.

Original post by Harvey Dent

Hmm.

If I prove the OP wrong, it doesn't automatically mean I'm luring him to Islam. I just want him to educate him further and he can choose whether or not to accept the evidence

I've watched more than enough of them during my conversion phase. I'm sorry but the Quran and science do not go hand in hand. The problem with religious texts is that they are far too ambiguous. They can be easily manipulated to fit in with our current interpretation of science. For example, I'm sure most muslims would agree that Islam rejects evolution. Right? At least many years ago that's what most scholars would confidently say in public speeches. However, now that there is overwhelmingly convincing evidence for evolution, it would look utterly naive for anyone to reject it. And what happens? Scholars reinterpret the text to make it fit in with science. Well that's religion for you!

Islam doesn't fully reject evolution mate :smile:
Why are 95% of ex muslims south asian?
I honestly think you guys became atheist due to your cultural/personal issues and not Islam itself.

Strong stat.

Source?
If I prove the OP wrong, it doesn't automatically mean I'm luring him to Islam. I just want him to educate him further and he can choose whether or not to accept the evidence

Islam doesn't fully reject evolution mate :smile:

The fact it rejects human evolution shows it's utterly wrong.
Says it all?

Excuse me for being the curious child who sought to understand the truth. Should I apologise for not conforming to what I was presented with and thinking for myself?

so when did you starting seeking the truth? 11?
Original post by ridwan12
Islam is very much forced onto South Asian's. They think issues such as arranged marriage for example are Islamic.

I agree, it is forced upon a lot of South Asian people, but even on here as you can clearly see, apostasy is not favoured upon in Islam, despite there being "no compulsion in religion". Regardless of culture, if someone does not believe in Islam anymore they would be shunned by the Muslim society...

Honestly, I love asians (90% of my friends are asian) but i'm not going to lie, they put SO much more emphasis on culture than Islam and then the kids grow up thinking Islam made up these rules when in most cases, islam actually forbids it!
Honestly, I love asians (90% of my friends are asian) but i'm not going to lie, they put SO much more emphasis on culture than Islam and then the kids grow up thinking Islam made up these rules when in most cases, islam actually forbids it!

Could you give examples.
Original post by tania<3

Along with that, I don't like the way that the religion is intended to be a way of life. I would prefer religious beliefs to be a tiny part of one's life, and it shouldn't dictate the way you do anything.

I think you misunderstand what religion is......

Alll religions think this life is a test, and thus religion helps you live a way of life in which you would pass this test.

Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism all dictate one's life.
Original post by tania<3
I agree, it is forced upon a lot of South Asian people, but even on here as you can clearly see, apostasy is not favoured upon in Islam, despite there being "no compulsion in religion". Regardless of culture, if someone does not believe in Islam anymore they would be shunned by the Muslim society...

no compulsion in religion is when accepting Islam not when 'leaving' it

I think it's pretty clear that he's rejected the dark-age rhetoric you call "evidence".
But please, do go on. I too am interested in what tribal savages from two millennia ago can teach us about existence.
Reply 76
I honestly feel so sorry for OP. Disbelievers (and especially those who were given the privelege to be born into the religion then turned away) get the worst punishment on the day of judgement.

This kind of bigotry makes it impossible for me to respect Islam. That is, the form of Islam which includes such bigoted dogmas as the idea that all disbelievers in Islam (and certainly all atheists) face conscious eternal torture, no matter how good a person they were, which they somehow totally deserve and such a sentence is somehow totally right and just. Even if this is just a really ugly superstition, the bigoted attitude that all nonbelievers deserve such an enormously disproportionate punishment for a thought crime, and somehow this is justice, crosses a line. It also makes their God look like some kind of psychopathic demon.

The same for fundamentalist Christians who also have this belief regarding everyone who rejects their own dogma.

It's your Hell, you burn in it.
(edited 9 years ago)

That is the issue mixing Religion and Culture. This is why Islam is attacked by the media and non-muslim's in general.

For example Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving is against what is historically known in Islam where women rode camels; it is a cultural ban not Islamic.
Reply 78
Such as........

If you were a Girl I would understand = but your a guy. Only rules that apply to you are to five pillars which I'd hardly think is medieval nonsense.

Do you think this of all religions or Islam more than others.

See what I mean? Why the sexism? Why are the men superior? Why is it that you would understand if I was a girl?

As for your latter question, I think of all religions the same. I'm against Islam just as much as I am against any religion.

There is never an age to stop learning. Of course you wouldn't realise that given your intellect.

So your point is that he's too young to decide for himself what he should believe? By that logic almost no religious people at all have a clue (who'd have thought?) since they're not even given the choice, they just have scripture shoved down their throats from birth.

Quick Reply

Latest