The Student Room Group

Ex-Muslim, now Atheist - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tabmax22
See what I mean? Why the sexism? Why are the men superior? Why is it that you would understand if I was a girl?

As for your latter question, I think of all religions the same. I'm against Islam just as much as I am against any religion.

There is never an age to stop learning. Of course you wouldn't realise that given your intellect.

ooh getting abit touchy eh? answer the question when did you start seeking the truth? when did you start reading the meaning of the Qur'an and from which authors? and asking questions to find out it wasn't right for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tania<3
I agree, it is forced upon a lot of South Asian people, but even on here as you can clearly see, apostasy is not favoured upon in Islam, despite there being "no compulsion in religion". Regardless of culture, if someone does not believe in Islam anymore they would be shunned by the Muslim society...

This is only natural. In fact it is Islamic to be close to you and maybe help you to understand Islam better; as many ex-muslim's leave Islam for mis-guided reasons. Sometjong called Dawah :biggrin:.

There are also some ex-muslim's who like a western based life i.e. drinking and thus leave Islam for these reason's...
Original post by tania<3
Or when bad things happen to good people, then "God is testing them". Testing them for what, exactly? What was God testing the people for on Flight MH17? Lol just a few things that get me annoyed :tongue:

I cannot agree with this more.

Good things happen to bad people = Mercy of God.
Bad things happen to good people = God is testing them.

:s-smilie:
Can you both watch this 6min video and tell me what your opinions are on it?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Original post by Harvey Dent
So your point is that he's too young to decide for himself what he should believe? By that logic almost no religious people at all have a clue (who'd have thought?) since they're not even given the choice, they just have scripture shoved down their throats from birth.

See what I mean? Why the sexism? Why are the men superior? Why is it that you would understand if I was a girl?

As for your latter question, I think of all religions the same. I'm against Islam just as much as I am against any religion.

There is never an age to stop learning. Of course you wouldn't realise that given your intellect.
Why did you leave Islam?
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
ooh getting abit touchy eh? answer the question when did you start seeking the truth? when did you start reading the meaning of the Qur'an and asking questions to find out it wasn't right for you. what made you 'leave' Islam?

By the looks of the thread OP is perfectly calm, it seems to be the Muslims that are up in arms about it.

Is it sexism????????

Women in Islam are expected to wear a hijab. Some see this as medival and disagree with it. Men do not have too wear a hijab.

" Why are the men superior?"

Did I say this... I think not.

What is so medival about Islam.

:biggrin:
Reply 87
ooh getting abit touchy eh? answer the question when did you start seeking the truth? when did you start reading the meaning of the Qur'an and asking questions to find out it wasn't right for you.

Well I began to think critically about religion during the start of my teenage years. I began watching debates involving great thinkers like Higgs, Dawkins, Krauss at around the age of 13. May I ask you when you began to think about your religion critically? Oh wait, I doubt you would have as you were indoctrinated by your parents into it since a young age. As the other poster said, going by your logic, theists would never have even thought about their religion as they were not given the choice.
Original post by TSA
By the looks of the thread OP is perfectly calm, it seems to be the Muslims that are up in arms about it.

you were saying?

OP resorted to personal insults already, the poor guy. I must have touched a nerve when asking a simple question.

Original post by ridwan12
I think you misunderstand what religion is......

Alll religions think this life is a test, and thus religion helps you live a way of life in which you would pass this test.

Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism all dictate one's life.

Not really sure what the distinction between religion "helping you to live a way of life" and religion "being a way of life" really is... You're essentially saying what I'm saying lol.

no compulsion in religion is when accepting Islam not when 'leaving' it

Erm, surely the whole point of there being no compulsion in it is to allow people to believe what they want to? So if they wish to leave the religion then they shouldn't be shunned by people? Unless you're saying there's no compulsion in religion, so long as you follow the religion :rolleyes:
Reply 90
Is it sexism????????

Women in Islam are expected to wear a hijab. Some see this as medival and disagree with it. Men do not have too wear a hijab.

" Why are the men superior?"

Did I say this... I think not.

What is so medival about Islam.

:biggrin:

Yes, it is indeed in its sexism in its sheerest form. The women being required to wear a hijab is oppression. It strips (oops!) them off their identity. Why is it that the women have to cover so that the men avoid falling into the trap of lust? Shouldn't we then be teaching men how to control themselves?
you were saying?

OP resorted to personal insults already, the poor guy. I must have touched a nerve when asking a simple question.

After your comment of

yh you 'coverted' to atheism at 15, that says it all about you.

Like for like my friend. If you can't stand to be insulted maybe you shouldn't insult others.
you were saying?

Pretty sure your intention when asked the question was to be provocative/insulting.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Can you both watch this 6min video and tell me what your opinions are on it?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Is there even a link? Or is Chrome lying to me?
Original post by TSA
After your comment of

Like for like my friend. If you can't stand to be insulted maybe you shouldn't insult others.

lol that was before i asked, still thought you said he was calm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tania<3
Not really sure what the distinction between religion "helping you to live a way of life" and religion "being a way of life" really is... You're essentially saying what I'm saying lol.

Erm, surely the whole point of there being no compulsion in it is to allow people to believe what they want to? So if they wish to leave the religion then they shouldn't be shunned by people? Unless you're saying there's no compulsion in religion, so long as you follow the religion :rolleyes:

Ohhh

I thought you said it was only for Islam...... Awks.

Was your name always Tania or did you change it when you left Islam.
thought you said he was calm

Should a good Muslim be going around provoking and insulting people? Is that what Islam teaches. Not really setting a good example.
Reply 97
you were saying?

I was merely retaliating to the snubby comment you made about me making a decision at 15 saying 'all about me' as a character. You haven't touched me at all. I'm just having a discussion trying to rationally dispute things. It is you, if anyone, who is on the front foot with everything.
Original post by TSA
I cannot agree with this more.

Good things happen to bad people = Mercy of God.
Bad things happen to good people = God is testing them.

:s-smilie:

They're both meaningless terms, and when I actually ask people what they mean by "test" they don't seem to be able to give a coherent answer lol. It's just a phrase that people use out of habit, but it really annoys me.

This is only natural. In fact it is Islamic to be close to you and maybe help you to understand Islam better; as many ex-muslim's leave Islam for mis-guided reasons. Sometjong called Dawah :biggrin:.

There are also some ex-muslim's who like a western based life i.e. drinking and thus leave Islam for these reason's...

There are good and bad things about Western lifestyles, as there are about Middle-Eastern and Asian lifestyles. I for one don't drink or eat pork, but I see it as personal preferences and lifestyle choices, rather than "my religion tells me not to".
Original post by h3isenberg
Is there even a link? Or is Chrome lying to me?

Quick Reply

Latest