The Student Room Group

Should women, married to men, take their husbands last name?

(I think it should be a choice for either partner not a necessity. )

Dicuss.

Edit: removed "heterosexual" from title and rejigged it, caused discussion away from question.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is a choice?

Plus I'm not sure why sexuality should come in to it?
Nah, doesn't matter either way. We're going with what sounds best.
Original post by Brit_Miller
Nah, doesn't matter either way. We're going with what sounds best.

Yep. Exactly that.
A choice :yep:
It's her choice. However if the guy does not want to marry her because she wont then that is also his choice.
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
It is a choice?

Plus I'm not sure why sexuality should come in to it?

Because gay marriage hasn't always been legal.
In the heterosexual marriages i think i read 90% of women change their last names.
The question is to provoke discussion. And see where people stand.
Plus I had to put heterosexual women, not all women who get married, marry a man. That would be assuming. And i wanted to ask specifically about male female relationships.
Which, I can do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anonymouspie227
Because gay marriage hasn't always been legal.
In the heterosexual marriages i think i read 90% of women change their last names.
The question is to provoke discussion. And see where people stand.
Plus I had to put heterosexual women, not all women who get married, marry a man. That would be assuming. And i wanted to ask specifically about male female relationships.
Which, I can do.

Not all women who marry a man are heterosexual. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Not necessarily unless they wish it. But the children should have a combined surname made of names of the parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Point remains I'm talking about male female marriages. The heterosexual bit was just to highlight that not only heteros marry. K.
Original post by Mubariz
Not all women who marry a man are heterosexual. Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Women again trying to make it seem like they are being oppressed by men. Nothing new to see here.
100% choice of the couple in question

Personally, I'm definitely going to take on my husband's name if I marry.
It should be a choice.

My mum actually kept her maiden name and I was given my dad's surname.
(edited 9 years ago)
So does the children having mixed surnames depend on if the women takes the surname or on the marriage itself?

Original post by LakAnne
Not necessarily unless they wish it. But the children should have a combined surname made of names of the parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatswhy
Women again trying to make it seem like they are being oppressed by men. Nothing new to see here.

So ironic.
Original post by anonymouspie227
(I think it should be a choice for either partner not a necessity. )

I basically agree with this. I think it's sad that so many women readily give up their identities (to adopt someone else's) though. In an ideal world I would keep my name or hybridise/remix it with my partner's. I don't like the idea of all of my future offspring having only my husband's name, either. Anything that sits in my womb for 9 months is coming out with my [hybridised] name on it!
Nop, this isn't allowed in Islam.

EDIT: women are not belongings of the man.
Original post by Another
100% choice of the couple in question

Personally, I'm definitely going to take on my husband's name if I marry.

What if he has a name that really wouldn't go well you know, really stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree!
Original post by tnetennba
I basically agree with this. I think it's sad that so many women readily give up their identities (to adopt someone else's) though. In an ideal world I would keep my name or hybridise/remix it with my partner's. I don't like the idea of all of my future offspring having only my husband's name, either. Anything that sits in my womb for 9 months is coming out with my [hybridised] name on it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending