The Student Room Group

Most underrated food??

Food for me is a great pleasure, nothing beats experiencing new tastes. There are many popular foods, even to the point of being overrated for instance Nandos or bacon.
There are also many foods that go almost unnoticed, but are nethertheless a taste sensation. i love to help broaden peoples palates. So please add to this list of underrated food.
Ill start with:
Olives
Chorizo
Mussles! (marinare, a,la creme, tomato etc etc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heavenlyphoto
Food for me is a great pleasure, nothing beats experiencing new tastes. There are many popular foods, even to the point of being overrated for instance Nandos or bacon.
There are also many foods that go almost unnoticed, but are nethertheless a taste sensation. i love to help broaden peoples palates. So please add to this list of underrated food.
Ill start with:
Olives
Chorizo

Mussels! :woo:
A definite favourite of mine but under appreciated by most people i know!

And Chorizo is LOVELY. Had some at lunchtime today actually with some Camenbert.
Canadian Bacon.
Original post by heavenlyphoto
Ill start with:
Olives
Chorizo

Olives are definitely underrated - I really don't understand why they garner such dislike! Love chorizo and mussels as well, and on a similar note most seafood/shellfish doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Perhaps largely as if things like squid aren't cooked properly, it can be too rubbery or whatever. Goose and mutton are also underrated I think, and there should be more love in the world for grapefruit!

Edit - Maltese dishes like pastizzi, quassat and figoli are all delicious, but basically unheard of here. :frown: (Although to be fair, often local dishes are best stayed local to that place!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Sounds gross, tastes heavenly:

Porridge made with milk, with Nutella and peanut butter (with bits) mixed in completely. :sexface:
Original post by River Shadow
Olives are definitely underrated - I really don't understand why they garner such dislike! Love chorizo and mussels as well, and on a similar note most seafood/shellfish doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Perhaps largely as if things like squid aren't cooked properly, it can be too rubbery or whatever. Goose and mutton are also underrated I think, and there should be more love in the world for grapefruit!

Edit - Maltese dishes like pastizzi, quassat and figoli are all delicious, but basically unheard of here. :frown: (Although to be fair, often local dishes are best stayed local to that place!)

Definitely true. Most people will eat prawns if they're already peeled and lobster/crab but give them a pile of seafood an they'll turn their nose up...

Original post by Mimir
Sounds gross, tastes heavenly:

Porridge made with milk, with Nutella and peanut butter (with bits) mixed in completely. :sexface:

That sounds amazing. Porridge + Pb is a personal favourite already! Never tried with choc spread as well. may try in morning and report back.
Bacon
Notsrs
Pad thai

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Motorbiker

That sounds amazing. Porridge + Pb is a personal favourite already! Never tried with choc spread as well. may try in morning and report back.

I use it to get as many calories as I can when bulking - usually put some banana or blueberries in there as well. Quick and easy first meal!

Tastes like a Snickers.
Definitely true. Most people will eat prawns if they're already peeled and lobster/crab but give them a pile of seafood an they'll turn their nose up...

Precisely. A friend of mine once ate squid and liked it til she found out what it was. :rolleyes: People often eat calamari when it's been deep fried, but give them stuffed squid or whatever, and they're not interested. So delicious though!
Mushrooms!

I absolutely love mushrooms esp in risottos, soups, pastas, on pizzas, in toasties.....basically in any savoury dish.

But there seems to quite a few people who are not a fan and I just don't get why?!
Original post by Mimir
I use it to get as many calories as I can when bulking - usually put some banana or blueberries in there as well. Quick and easy first meal!

Tastes like a Snickers.

I used oats when bulking from 60 to 80kg as well. :five:

I agreed with banana but blueberrie are crazy sharp. That would be weird!

Precisely. A friend of mine once ate squid and liked it til she found out what it was. :rolleyes: People often eat calamari when it's been deep fried, but give them stuffed squid or whatever, and they're not interested. So delicious though!

Standard seafood reaction tbh...

I personally think Pweanut butter is underrrated as well in this country. americans love it but i'm weird amongst my friends for loving it.
Flaming hot chilli Doritos :wink:
Bircher Museli. I swear no one's even heard of it. They eat it in Swizerland, it's sort of a cold version of porridge with oats, juice and grated apple. It's DELICIOUS, like porridge but when it's hot! It might sound disgusting but seriously try some!! You can make it too :biggrin:
Original post by nemothefish19
Mushrooms!

I absolutely love mushrooms esp in risottos, soups, pastas, on pizzas, in toasties.....basically in any savoury dish.

But there seems to quite a few people who are not a fan and I just don't get why?!

I think people find their texture weird/slimy?

I understand why these aren't rated highly by lots of people. I disagree but i understand that they're weird looking. :tongue:
I think people find their texture weird/slimy?

I understand why these aren't rated highly by lots of people. I disagree but i understand that they're weird looking. :tongue:

Yuck, mushrooms! :pee:

They are very slimy, and their texture is weird. Plus they don't taste nice!
Halloumi
I used oats when bulking from 60 to 80kg as well. :five:

I agreed with banana but blueberrie are crazy sharp. That would be weird!

Standard seafood reaction tbh...

I personally think Pweanut butter is underrrated as well in this country. americans love it but i'm weird amongst my friends for loving it.

Peanut butter is lovely!

Original post by nemothefish19
Mushrooms!

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I don't quite understand the slimy argument to be honest. So are lots of foods! Plus I don't think they're very slimy. :confused: I suppose it depends how you cook them...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Luketreherne
Halloumi

YES! This cheese is delicious, especially when grilled or on a kebab or soemthing.

Original post by spotify95
Yuck, mushrooms! :pee:

They are very slimy, and their texture is weird. Plus they don't taste nice!

:colonhash:

I do understand their unsual texture though which doesn't suit everyone.

What's your most underrrated food then spotify?

Peanut butter is lovely!

:five: I used to go through multiple jars a week.
:five: I used to go through multiple jars a week.

Only done that a couple of times myself, but it's easily done if like me you like just eating it off a spoon... :getmecoat:
I agree with olives. I never used to like them till a couple of years back but now think they're lovely :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest