The Student Room Group

Poll: What's the PROPER way to brew a cup of tea?

Scroll to see replies

I always do :-

Tea bag in mug.
Hot water.
Remove tea bag and throw it to the compost pile.
Lemon or milk.
Honey.

Don't want the compost pile to stink as it normally does when you throw dairy products onto the pile.
I went with English Breakfast/Earl Grey/Lady Grey tea bag in first > Add freshly boiled water (from Breville Stainless Steel Kettle as London water is disgusting) > Let tea bag brew for 2.5-3 minutes > Remove the tea bag > Add a dash of of semi-skimmed milk.

While I did go with the above, I actually brew my tea in a beautiful tea pot with loose tea which needs to be in the pot for around 5 minutes minimum to brew the perfect tea, this tea bag BS is just ugh :colonhash:
Motorbiker
QFA

Why wasn't there an option for loose tea? Loose tea is the only way to brew tea :fuhrer:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
I went with English Breakfast/Earl Grey/Lady Grey tea bag in first > Add freshly boiled water (from Breville Stainless Steel Kettle as London water is disgusting) > Let tea bag brew for 2.5-3 minutes > Remove the tea bag > Add a dash of of semi-skimmed milk.

While I did go with the above, I actually brew my tea in a beautiful tea pot with loose tea which needs to be in the pot for around 5 minutes minimum to brew the perfect tea, this tea bag BS is just ugh :colonhash:

Why wasn't there an option for loose tea? Loose tea is the only way to brew tea :fuhrer:

If i added loose tea and teapot options i'd end up with about 32 poll options...
Original post by Motorbiker
If i added loose tea and teapot options i'd end up with about 32 poll options...

Well then it's clear that you'll never find the proper way to brew a cup of tea or to be precise, a pot as who drinks just a cup?

I go all out, pot of tea, fine bone china, scones with jam and cream with lemon drizzle cake... That's just me, when I'm hosting there's lots more :tongue: :h:
Teabag
Sugar
Water
Stir
:colondollar:
-Teabag in
-Sweeteners in
-Water in
-Stir
-Teabag out
-Milk in
-Stir

:smile:
1. Tea bag in
2. Sugar in
3. Hot water in
4. Mix it and tea bag out
5. Milk in and give it a good final mix

The only proper way I think!

I don't get the point of adding milk first, surely you would end up with one hot ass tea, potentially burning a hole through your tongue! :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
Milk first according to the Royal Society of Chemists .http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jun/25/science.highereducation

That's what I do. Then again I rarely ever use teabags. Whenever I do I don't add milk.
Sweetener, tea bag, hot water, remove tea bag, add milk. It's the quickest way really because if you do milk, then tea bag and hot water it takes forever to brew and comes out too milky for my tastes :sadnod:

And I don't like tea bag, hot water, add milk and then remove tea bag because you can't mix it until you've taken the tea bag out (so you can't check that it is strong enough), plus you can't see how much you've added until the bag is removed (I like my cup filled to the brim with liquid :tongue:)
(edited 9 years ago)
I do:

- tebag in
- milk in
- water in
- teabag out
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I do:

- tebag in
- milk in
- water in
- teabag out

A milk before water person! :redface:

Why?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Clearly, nobody on this forum knows how to make a cup of tea.
First, get your finest porcelain teapot and cup while you bring the kettle to the boil, making sure to use fresh water.
Add one tea spoon of tea leaves to the teapot for each cup of tea you intend to brew.
Once the kettle comes to the boil, pour the necessary amount of water into the teapot, and also some into the cups to bring them to the appropriate temperature.
After letting the tea brew for the appropriate amount of time, which can be as few as two, but as many as seven minutes, pour the tea into the cup. If you are too uncivilised to know how long to brew the tea for, most teas require between three and four minutes.
Never add sugar, and only add milk for some teas.
After consuming the all the tea, swill out the teapot and place it back into the appropriate storage location.

Alternatively, if you are to truly do it properly, you will instruct your butler to bring you some tea.

P.s. What are these "teabags" you people keep talking about? They sound ghastly.

But I have tea leaves and an array of teapots at home. In the year or so you've been staying over at my house you've been unafraid to ask for a bacon sandwich and yet you have never once had tea. We can rectify this when we get back, provided you supply me with some cadbury's, they don't eat milk chocolate here.
Original post by Motorbiker
A milk before water person! :redface:

Why?

I know how much milk I need in the bottom of the cup to make the tea just right. :tongue:

I have tried doing water before milk, but I end up getting confused and the tea ends up way too milky.
Original post by nemothefish19
1. Tea bag in
2. Sugar in
3. Hot water in
4. Mix it and tea bag out
5. Milk in and give it a good final mix

The only proper way I think!

I don't get the point of adding milk first, surely you would end up with one hot ass tea, potentially burning a hole through your tongue! :dontknow:

The milk is still there whether you add it first or last, so it still cools the tea down by the same amount :tongue:
Teabag
Sugar
Hot water
Remove teabag
Hot milk
Stir

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teabag
Hot water - leave for a moment
Remove teabag
Add milk
Add sugar if wanted

I'm from the north - apparently we make the best cuppa's. However I tend to drink coffee...
Depends whether using a teapot or just brewing it in a cup.

Teapot:
Warm the pot with a little water
Put in tea bags
Pour on hot water
Leave to brew
Add milk to cups first, that way they won't need stirring
Pour tea from pot
Never add sugar

In a cup:
Tea bag first
Hot water second
Stir and remove tea bag
Add milk a stir
Never add sugar
I'm the second option but not a tea drinker.... when I left my job my team told me they wouldn't miss my tea run.... :s-smilie:
Original post by Ceryni
Nope! :tongue: I normally put between no sugar to 2 dessert spoons, or 4 teaspoons of sugar, depending what I'm having :blushing:

Haha knew it wasn't just me :biggrin: I dont see why it's so wrong to have slightly sweet tea
Putting milk in first is like punching the Mona Lisa in the face

Quick Reply

Latest