The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joannywhite
Yes there is. I think if you search it up, it will come up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks!
Hey, I applied to UEA, Barts, Nottingham and BSMS. I got 3 rejections and an interview offer at BSMS. I felt that I was quite unprepared for the interview at BSMS and got a rejection from there. My UKCAT score was 610 (verbal reasoning let me down real bad). I wanted to apply to a uni in London and applied to Barts only because on there website it says that they expect a score of above 2400 and I had 2440. But i think this year there cut-off was 700. I am planning on taking a gap year and giving it my all this time round and definitely apply more strategically. I got 4A*s and 11As in GCSEs and was thinking of applying to Imperial. Has anyone got into Imperial with similar grades at GCSEs and how did they do at the BMAT?
Original post by jollygood
Can successful re-applicants tell me what kind of jobs did they do during the gap year? I am really struggling to find a suitable job as almost all of them require previous nursing experience. Can you please tell me which jobs are the easiest to get because all I want is a paid job in hospital environment. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spent the first 5 months with no paid job, just voluntary work (though was applying for many jobs). Managed to land a Christmas temp job at Schuh and they kept me on. Then around May I got a job working as a Ward Assistant in oncology. Though I obviously would've preferred a HCA role it's been great to be in the right environment to see how it all works.
Original post by FutureSurgeon
Hey guys! May I just ask, when you were all applying for your HCA jobs, did you tell them/say on your application form that you're on a gap year and will be leaving them after a year?

A friend of mine reckons this will make them more likely to employ me as they will want to employ a prospective doctor but I just think it'll make them reluctant to employ me as it means they'll have to go through the whole recruitment process all over again in merely a year's time to replace me!

What do you guys think? Shall I include that detail on the application forms or not?

I did- I'm a HCA in theatres- and they've been really supportive with time off for interviews and seeing the good stuff :smile: I included that detail on the application and that was all the spoke about at interview! They thought it was a really good idea to have a prospective med student work as a HCA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Strikesthirteen
I did- I'm a HCA in theatres- and they've been really supportive with time off for interviews and seeing the good stuff :smile: I included that detail on the application and that was all the spoke about at interview! They thought it was a really good idea to have a prospective med student work as a HCA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you just go onto the NHS website and type in your postcode and see which local trust needed an HCA/had jobs going? I want to get to the stage where I can work in theatres/HCA but kind of stuck on the application part
Hey guys, regarding your UKCAT my teacher recommended I should take some sort of course to improve my score. I just looked at kaplan courses as that is what she recommended but woah they're not as cheap as I first anticipated.
What sort of courses if any did you guys do to improve your UKCAT? (685 last year)
Original post by blissfully
Did you just go onto the NHS website and type in your postcode and see which local trust needed an HCA/had jobs going? I want to get to the stage where I can work in theatres/HCA but kind of stuck on the application part

Yep, I went on NHS jobs all the time. I started with a temp job in records then applied for the ortho theatres HCA job, first HCA job I applies for. Didn't get it in ortho and they gave me a job in general theatres instead. Was good to have the previous job in records because it meant I only had to transfer posts and took a lot less time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, regarding your UKCAT my teacher recommended I should take some sort of course to improve my score. I just looked at kaplan courses as that is what she recommended but woah they're not as cheap as I first anticipated.
What sort of courses if any did you guys do to improve your UKCAT? (685 last year)

I went on Medify and it improved my UKCAT by 50 points. Saying that, your UKCAT was still better than my second take!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys theres stuff I'm really not understanding about the medic bursary stuff... someone take a look?

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/FAQ_4_Am_I_eligible_for_an_NHS_bursary_(Medical_and_Dental_students)_v2.0_05.2013.pdf

I also keep reading things about a £1000 bursary we're all entitled too...anyone have any idea what this is about?

Medify was a great addition in my opinion, it improved my UKCAT from 670 last year to 780 after only using it for a couple of weeks.
Original post by ameelia22
Guys theres stuff I'm really not understanding about the medic bursary stuff... someone take a look?

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/FAQ_4_Am_I_eligible_for_an_NHS_bursary_(Medical_and_Dental_students)_v2.0_05.2013.pdf

I also keep reading things about a £1000 bursary we're all entitled too...anyone have any idea what this is about?

Yep all entitled to that in your 5th and subsequent years when fees also paid by the NHS however the 100% means testing means many people still end up struggling.

Key point you don't need to worry about it for a few years if you are a school leaver (rather than a graduate entry medic).

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only in your fifth year of study. I'm not particularly sure on the nitty gritty stuff of it as I'm Scottish but from the document you linked it that's what it seems like.
Original post by Scottasaurus
It's only in your fifth year of study. I'm not particularly sure on the nitty gritty stuff of it as I'm Scottish but from the document you linked it that's what it seems like.

Original post by manupalace
Yep all entitled to that in your 5th and subsequent years when fees also paid by the NHS however the 100% means testing means many people still end up struggling.

Key point you don't need to worry about it for a few years if you are a school leaver (rather than a graduate entry medic).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys, had a mild panic / rush of excitement when I thought I might be eligible for some extra dolla...

just out of curiosity you guys, how much is reasonable to live on? Comfortably say?
Thanks guys, had a mild panic / rush of excitement when I thought I might be eligible for some extra dolla...

just out of curiosity you guys, how much is reasonable to live on? Comfortably say?

Was wondering that myself actually seeing as I'm going to uni this year too haha. I've just taken out the full living cost loan (£4750) and will adjust it if I feel it's too much. Also have a transfer with my current job already set in place too though (working for a big retail company is great!)
If there's already a thread set up for 2015 entry re-applicants, can someone please post the link on here? I can't find it :/ Thanks!
Original post by Strikesthirteen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much! Adding that to my application as we speak! Also, as you didn't have this job yet at the time of application and interviews, what did you say when asked what you were planning to spend your gap year doing?
Was wondering that myself actually seeing as I'm going to uni this year too haha. I've just taken out the full living cost loan (£4750) and will adjust it if I feel it's too much. Also have a transfer with my current job already set in place too though (working for a big retail company is great!)

Ah, my maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation, and my mom is having to pay for the gap in between. I'm determined to never work as a HCA on another ward again because it can be truly awful, so will consider joining the agency for my hospital but... we'll see.
Ah, my maintenance loan doesn't even cover my accommodation, and my mom is having to pay for the gap in between. I'm determined to never work as a HCA on another ward again because it can be truly awful, so will consider joining the agency for my hospital but... we'll see.

I don't know if I want the stress of working in a hospital whilst studying, might be a bit much! Wouldn't mind maybe a phlebotomist job or such like but screw being an HCA whilst studying full time.
I don't know if I want the stress of working in a hospital whilst studying, might be a bit much! Wouldn't mind maybe a phlebotomist job or such like but screw being an HCA whilst studying full time.

Its worth considering joining an agency or NHS professionals (runs staff bank for many hospitals so gives large range of options of places to work) or a normal staff bank at a nearby hospital. You don't need to do many shifts and its a good way to get money quickly especially if you can get weekend shifts. Its also less awful when you're only doing one day and not at the mercy of a rota and 3/4 long days in a row.

Its also a good option for holiday work.

Occasional shifts are defo doable in the first year of an undergraduate medicine course (I worked during Christmas and Easter holidays and am working now. Though admittedly its as a pharmacist not a HCA. I did HCA work in hols as an undergraduate pharmacy student and it was great. Much better than full time work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean, I definitely feel like i've ticked that box off, i'd be glad to never see another bed pan again. But I loved my ward at my hospital and made many good friends - so thinking i'll join the agency for it, and whenever i'm back home do a couple of shifts.

Original post by manupalace
Its worth considering joining an agency or NHS professionals (runs staff bank for many hospitals so gives large range of options of places to work) or a normal staff bank at a nearby hospital. You don't need to do many shifts and its a good way to get money quickly especially if you can get weekend shifts. Its also less awful when you're only doing one day and not at the mercy of a rota and 3/4 long days in a row.

Its also a good option for holiday work.

Occasional shifts are defo doable in the first year of an undergraduate medicine course (I worked during Christmas and Easter holidays and am working now. Though admittedly its as a pharmacist not a HCA. I did HCA work in hols as an undergraduate pharmacy student and it was great. Much better than full time work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure pharmacy work is a lot more glam than HCA work now though! We'll have to see / depends on how desperate I get. It's easy to say i'll definitely like to work more etc etc while i'm still at home but once I start studying I won't want to stop!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending