The Student Room Group

I feel I made a big mistake

Hi, my gap year is nearly over and I applied for a course and I no longer think I want to do it. Instead, I would like to apply for economics.
I got A*A*A in my a levels (Maths,bio,chem) and 6A*s5As at GCSE. In maths I got 100/100 in C3 and C4 if that makes a difference.
I was just wondering if the fact that I applied to a different course last year will make a difference?
Also, bearing my strange application, where do you think I could apply and realistically get a place?

I'd want to apply to LSE/UCL etc and was wondering what my chances are?
Original post by alevelzzz
Hi, my gap year is nearly over and I applied for a course and I no longer think I want to do it. Instead, I would like to apply for economics.
I got A*A*A in my a levels (Maths,bio,chem) and 6A*s5As at GCSE. In maths I got 100/100 in C3 and C4 if that makes a difference.
I was just wondering if the fact that I applied to a different course last year will make a difference?
Also, bearing my strange application, where do you think I could apply and realistically get a place?

If you have already been accepted for September then contact the university and ask about changing courses

If you are looking to apply for 2015 then 2 gap years would need some serious work experience
Original post by TenOfThem
If you have already been accepted for September then contact the university and ask about changing courses

If you are looking to apply for 2015 then 2 gap years would need some serious work experience

My course is a vocational degree and so the degree's worth isnt dependent on the university unlike economics. I wouldn't study any other course at my university

Considering I've changed my decision on my degree recently then how could I have more work experience in my gap year??
(edited 9 years ago)
My course is a vocational degree and so the degree's worth isnt dependent on the university unlike economics. I wouldn't study any other course at my university

Ok

Well I would say there is almost zero chance of an application to LSE or UCL being accepted at the point even with your grades

So- looks like you would need to apply for September 2015 and find suitable work during the second gap year

You could ring the admissions at LSE/UCL and talk about it - they can accept as many high grade people as they want so it is worth the phone call just to see
Original post by TenOfThem
Ok

Well I would say there is almost zero chance of an application to LSE or UCL being accepted at the point even with your grades

So- looks like you would need to apply for September 2015 and find suitable work during the second gap year

You could ring the admissions at LSE/UCL and talk about it - they can accept as many high grade people as they want so it is worth the phone call just to see

Hey may I ask why. I have similar grades and I am in a similar situation to OP..

Why do you feel he/I wouldn't be accepted into those unis.

Do they not take people on who take 2 gap years?
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Hey may I ask why. I have similar grades and I am in a similar situation to OP..

Why do you feel he/I wouldn't be accepted into those unis.

Do they not take people on who take 2 gap years?

He means at this point. LSE & UCL do not take on any home students who applied after January 15th. They might have a rule in place saying they can let in students with good grades but those two are too proud to look at later applications generally.

You'd certainly have a good shot at UCL and LSE, though as with both entry is far from guaranteed even with top grades. LSE put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement whilst UCL interview which normally includes a short test. I doubt 2 gap years will matter too much but you can always email and ask.
Original post by jelly1000
He means at this point. LSE & UCL do not take on any home students who applied after January 15th. They might have a rule in place saying they can let in students with good grades but those two are too proud to look at later applications generally.

Hey, they wouldn't accept anyone int too after the deadline right?

What grades realistically do you think are needed in GCSE and A Levels to be confident of getting accepted.

Would 8A* 6A 1B and 4 A stars be enough or not in your opinion, thanks.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Hey, they wouldn't accept anyone int too after the deadline right?

What grades realistically do you think are needed in GCSE and A Levels to be confident of getting accepted.

Would 8A* 6A 1B and 4 A stars be enough or not in your opinion, thanks.

I can't be 100% sure on that, but play it safe and assume not especially for the most popular courses. Your grades are fine but as I said for LSE you need to ace the personal statement and UCL the interview if you get that far (if they make international students do one)

So basically you've screwed yourself over. No decent uni is going to accept you for economics at this stage of the admissions process so your only option is to find somewhere in clearing or take a second gap year, which in itself is going to be difficult to justify. Also, the likes of LSE/UCL would be out of the question cos you haven't taken Further Maths. LSE is also known to look for 9A* at GCSE.
Original post by frozen_fire
So basically you've screwed yourself over. No decent uni is going to accept you for economics at this stage of the admissions process so your only option is to find somewhere in clearing or take a second gap year, which in itself is going to be difficult to justify. Also, the likes of LSE/UCL would be out of the question cos you haven't taken Further Maths. LSE is also known to look for 9A* at GCSE.

I agree with your first point; the OP will have to take a second gap year and apply to UCAS to have a shot. Also, your second point, both Universities place great emphasis on Further Maths. However, I know several individuals at both who haven't pursued Further Maths and still got in. Also, you will find kids who do not have 9A*'s who have still got in at LSE; they place greater emphasis on A-Levels. And the OP has a decent shot with 2A*s & 1A.

This is coming from a current UCL Student!
Original post by $$$stackemup$$$
I agree with your first point; the OP will have to take a second gap year and apply to UCAS to have a shot. Also, your second point, both Universities place great emphasis on Further Maths. However, I know several individuals at both who haven't pursued Further Maths and still got in. Also, you will find kids who do not have 9A*'s who have still got in at LSE; they place greater emphasis on A-Levels. And the OP has a decent shot with 2A*s & 1A.

This is coming from a current UCL Student!

Fair enough- but from what I've read on TAELT which is an economics based thread, it would be incredibly difficult to get in without Further Maths. The OP could take FM in his second gap year to compensate but productively filling 2 years away from study is a challenge in itself. I think overall LSE would be a bit of a long shot given how ridiculously competitive it is and how most applicants would have better GCSE results and similar A-levels including FM taken at the same time.

It's a tricky situation to be in cos the OP would struggle to find anywhere in clearing that matches up to his academic stats. At the same if he took another gap year, offers-wise I don't think he'd fair as well as if he'd applied first time round. What would your advice be?

To access Clearing 2014 you must be in the current application cycle. So as a 2013 applicant you will not "eligible" to use Clearing this year. But this doesn't mean it's the end of the road for you.

If your "firm" choice doesn't have another option that works for you, you will have to request that they completely withdraw your application and release you from their offer.

On confirmation of being released you would then have the opportunity to submit a new application for 2014 Clearing if the university(s) you are now interested is offering places through this route.

Definately use this time now to do your research , call up LSE and UCL and ask the question. Good luck!!

This article might help too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending