The Student Room Group

Debenhams Restaraunt Assistant Telephone interview!

I recently applied for Debenhams as a restaraunt assitsant, and I have a telephone interview with them on monday. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? and what should I expect, anything would be grateful as I have no idea what to expect as I have read threads saying about group interviews and public speaking ahhh:eek: so any replies would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dwalk24
I recently applied for Debenhams as a restaraunt assitsant, and I have a telephone interview with them on monday. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? and what should I expect, anything would be grateful as I have no idea what to expect as I have read threads saying about group interviews and public speaking ahhh:eek: so any replies would be appreciated :smile:

Well I didn't reply for a job as a restaurant assistant but sales, but it will be something similar.

They always ask why Debenhams, What the job will offer. Always try to find the best answers here by incorporating some information from their website.

They may ask to describe yourself, and what do you think you will offer.
Finally, they can ask a possible situation question such as what would you do if a customer was complaining about a certain food or service (not too sure as said before i applied for sales) but possibly something similar?

Hope that helped :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Gorganite
Well I didn't reply for a job as a restaurant assistant but sales, but it will be something similar.

They always ask why Debenhams, What the job will offer. Always try to find the best answers here by incorporating some information from their website.

They may ask to describe yourself, and what do you think you will offer.
Finally, they can ask a possible situation question such as what would you do if a customer was complaining about a certain food or service (not too sure as said before i applied for sales) but possibly something similar?

Hope that helped :biggrin:

Hello! thank you for the reply, have you had your interview yet? I just want to know what happens, as I've read up online about after the telephone interviews about group interviews and I haven't had much luck with them in the past :frown:
Original post by Dwalk24
Hello! thank you for the reply, have you had your interview yet? I just want to know what happens, as I've read up online about after the telephone interviews about group interviews and I haven't had much luck with them in the past :frown:

No, I'm going to call tomorrow though and see what is up :frown:
She said that I would get an email if i failed and all and that there were loads of vacancies which could explain the 2 week delay?

But yeah it depends on the store and how much vacancies there are. It can be a group interview where you have to get involved with each other for a variety of activities. The key thing is to make yourself stand out and to speak up.

How did your interview go?
Reply 4
No, I'm going to call tomorrow though and see what is up :frown:
She said that I would get an email if i failed and all and that there were loads of vacancies which could explain the 2 week delay?

But yeah it depends on the store and how much vacancies there are. It can be a group interview where you have to get involved with each other for a variety of activities. The key thing is to make yourself stand out and to speak up.

How did your interview go?

Aww okay :frown: and bless you, I'd just ring to see how it goes :frown: and oh god I hate them, I had one previously with Frankie and Bennies and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced! and I have it at 1 today so not long, just sat here nervously waiting for the call. I have notes infront of me, so hopefully it won't be too bad :frown:
Original post by Dwalk24
Aww okay :frown: and bless you, I'd just ring to see how it goes :frown: and oh god I hate them, I had one previously with Frankie and Bennies and it was the worst thing I have ever experienced! and I have it at 1 today so not long, just sat here nervously waiting for the call. I have notes infront of me, so hopefully it won't be too bad :frown:

So I called, turns out I passed the telephone interview :biggrin:
So happy, but the store still needs to confirm when the interview will be so I have to wait :/

How did yours go by the way :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
So I called, turns out I passed the telephone interview :biggrin:
So happy, but the store still needs to confirm when the interview will be so I have to wait :/

How did yours go by the way :redface:

Awww wow well done! :biggrin: and same here, I passed too! I was so pleased, I have to wait too :smile: they should ring this morning, so happy for us both well done! Just hoping the interviews go okay for us both :smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
Awww wow well done! :biggrin: and same here, I passed too! I was so pleased, I have to wait too :smile: they should ring this morning, so happy for us both well done! Just hoping the interviews go okay for us both :smile:

Wohoo so we must have done something good haha. Now we just need to ensure that what we do amazing in the actual interview. Chances are you'll get the interview before me so maybe you could tell me how yours went and all?

Is there any links you know where they offer any advice for the actual interview?
Reply 8
I know, have you had a job before? :smile: and I know, fingers crossed we do! and yeah of course! and I looked online and found quite a lot just google! this is a good link i found http://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/debenhams-assessment which goes through everything, I'm sure it'll go well just be yourself :smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
I know, have you had a job before? :smile: and I know, fingers crossed we do! and yeah of course! and I looked online and found quite a lot just google! this is a good link i found http://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/debenhams-assessment which goes through everything, I'm sure it'll go well just be yourself :smile:

Yeah I've had a job. But to be honest it is really boring what I do. All that I do is stand there as there is virtually nothing to do. And yeah I saw that link just a second ago actually :smile:
But let's hope we both do well whenever it is. And keep informed of how it all went and all.
Reply 10
Yeah I've had a job. But to be honest it is really boring what I do. All that I do is stand there as there is virtually nothing to do. And yeah I saw that link just a second ago actually :smile:
But let's hope we both do well whenever it is. And keep informed of how it all went and all.

Aww what did you do? My last job was working as a waitress, but I left as they treated me really badly :frown: and yeah hopefully, and yes of course :smile: I'll be happy to hear how you got on and vice versa :smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
Aww what did you do? My last job was working as a waitress, but I left as they treated me really badly :frown: and yeah hopefully, and yes of course :smile: I'll be happy to hear how you got on and vice versa :smile:

Good :smile:
And yeah I would like a job before I go to university so that I can have some money to help and all.
My last job was a steward at a Football Stadium, and whilst it was good to see matches for free, we were treated like we were nothing and other than watching the match we didn't do much.

I remember in my telephone interview that question came up :colondollar:
Reply 12
Aww I'm doing the same, although I'm staying in the same city for University :smile: what are you going to study at uni? :smile: and yeah, I can see what you mean and what about your last job? same! they asked me why I left, but I didn't say that reason because apparently it's not good to say stuff like that :frown:
Original post by Dwalk24
Aww I'm doing the same, although I'm staying in the same city for University :smile: what are you going to study at uni? :smile: and yeah, I can see what you mean and what about your last job? same! they asked me why I left, but I didn't say that reason because apparently it's not good to say stuff like that :frown:

I'm staying in London. Planning on going to Brunel for History *fingers crossed*
I didn't say those words because it seems bad, so I said I wasn't challenged enough and at Debenhams I felt I would be she seemed to like that answer.
Reply 14
I'm staying in London. Planning on going to Brunel for History *fingers crossed*
I didn't say those words because it seems bad, so I said I wasn't challenged enough and at Debenhams I felt I would be she seemed to like that answer.

That's great :smile: and that'll be good, I'm going to study computing! and I'm going to use that in my interview too, I have mine on friday soo i'm uber nervous but looking online now about it and taking notes :smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
That's great :smile: and that'll be good, I'm going to study computing! and I'm going to use that in my interview too, I have mine on friday soo i'm uber nervous but looking online now about it and taking notes :smile:

Oooh that's so close. I hope you do well in that interview and all. Do you know if is a group interview or just a 1 to 1 interview?
Computing? In the interview are you going to say you are good with technology and all?
Reply 16
Oooh that's so close. I hope you do well in that interview and all. Do you know if is a group interview or just a 1 to 1 interview?
Computing? In the interview are you going to say you are good with technology and all?

Thank you, and it's just a 1 to 1 interview :smile: and yeah I most likely will as it will help me work the tills, so it only makes sense really mentioning it! might aswell :smile: I hope they let me know on the day if I have got it or not, I hate waiting :frown:
Original post by Dwalk24
Thank you, and it's just a 1 to 1 interview :smile: and yeah I most likely will as it will help me work the tills, so it only makes sense really mentioning it! might aswell :smile: I hope they let me know on the day if I have got it or not, I hate waiting :frown:

Yeah I hate waiting to find out whether you passed or not. It's like did I do good or did I mess up? :s-smilie: It's good that it's 1 to 1 though you just need to do what you did in the telephone interview but better I guess. Don't know if you used the debenhams website and included information in your telephone interview, but you should as apparently it helps :smile:

Keep me informed :biggrin:
Reply 18
Yeah I hate waiting to find out whether you passed or not. It's like did I do good or did I mess up? :s-smilie: It's good that it's 1 to 1 though you just need to do what you did in the telephone interview but better I guess. Don't know if you used the debenhams website and included information in your telephone interview, but you should as apparently it helps :smile:

Keep me informed :biggrin:

Same :frown: plus i'm such as impatient person anyway so that doesn't help :frown: and I guess so, the person who interviewed me said I did really well so hopefully I can just carry that on! I just get nervous for interviews, but hopefully this one will go well :smile: and I did I mentioned about the British heritage and the fact they are a multinational business etc which they do like, but thank you :smile: Have you heard about having an interview yet?:smile:
Original post by Dwalk24
Same :frown: plus i'm such as impatient person anyway so that doesn't help :frown: and I guess so, the person who interviewed me said I did really well so hopefully I can just carry that on! I just get nervous for interviews, but hopefully this one will go well :smile: and I did I mentioned about the British heritage and the fact they are a multinational business etc which they do like, but thank you :smile: Have you heard about having an interview yet?:smile:

Haha I said that about the British Heritage and all :smile:
Yeah my interviewer was impressed when I was saying that
And no, not yet heard nothing so far :frown: But it was two days ago when I called and she said that they hadn't even sorted out the interview dates and all so I guess I still wait which I hate :mad:

By the way, how much would you get paid and what branch location could you be working at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending