The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Appearance is the first thing you see , if she's not attractive your not going to find out about her "confidence, assertiveness, originality, charisma, humor"
Because historically men had to protect women so female psychology evolved to sexually select for more dominant males who would be more likely to be able to care for and raise ospring.

Also when it comes to things such as social status and money (men tend to select for these traits less than women - you see lots of rich men/male celebrities 'dating down' in those respective categories) for the reasons above, also a women would have to be MORE wealthy or have more social status than a man for a male to be attracted to it and it cannot work both ways (one has to either be wealthier or have a higher social status for their to be attraction based on those categories)
Because guys care so much about how they [women] look.
Reply 4
I think most males and females care about the way they look.. Why wouldnt you want to look good?
Reply 5
Looking decent makes me happy.

But i don't spend like 3 hours trying to get 'the look'
I wear hardly wear makeup. Probably mascara only to make my eyes stand out a bit :P
And srsly i do everything for my self because it makes me happy.

OP you're obsessed :lol:
Because you can't change your personality like you can change your looks. You can't say "today I'm going to be confident and outgoing" like you can say "okay, I'm going to put on some fake eyelashes".
Because the media and society pressures women into conforming to the perceived ideal of beauty in that particular culture.
Women are routinely sexually objectified using their bodies to "sell everything from burgers to jeans". It's the norm to see women sexually objectified and when you see a person as an object to fulfill a specific use (women are provided for men to be sexually satisfying) then as a woman you want to fulfill your apparent duty or you're not being a very good woman are you?
I know I'm succumbing to this when I wear make-up, wax, pluck my brows but it's what's expected and found attractive in this culture. I want to be socially accepted and I've been brought up in a culture that's led me to believe this is what a girl should do and look like to be beautiful so baaah just another sheep in the herd.
Wouldn't make such a sweeping statement that all girls are only focusing on what they look like though.
Reply 8
I'd say that most of it comes from hearing immature teenage boys talk about a girl's looks like being good looking is the most important thing in the world. To be honest though a lot of girls do this too. I've seen people assume that someone is "weird" (not the good weird) because they aren't society's idea of good looking. The word ugly is so overused these days. Just because someone isn't my idea of attractive it doesn't mean that they're ugly and it certainly doesn't mean that I shouldn't want to get to know them or be seen with them. People judge on looks so much that it's ridiculous and witnessing this or doing this just makes a lot of people do anything to avoid being seen as "ugly".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I'd rather not look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards and how someome looks is the first thing people notice before they even get to my humour, personality etc which I think are fine
theres no shame in having pride in your appearance even if it makes men feel uncomfortable
Not all girls do it for male attention. :rolleyes:
Because a girl's social worth is determined by how good looking she is. It's not rocket science.
Original post by pinejuice
theres no shame in having pride in your appearance even if it makes men feel uncomfortable

If you really were proud of your appearance, you wouldn't use "make up" and other cosmetics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StevieA
...instead on focusing on their personality, confidence, assertiveness, originality, charisma, humor and all the other similar traits women look for in men?

You clearly don't focus on those things much.
Why do boys spend so much time idolising/fapping to "unrealistic expectations"?
Because guys don't do this?

II'll be honest I rarely pick up Men's Health and think '****, need to up my game in the gym so I can have a personality like that guy'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
Because guys don't do this?

II'll be honest I rarely pick up Men's Health and think '**** need to up my game in the gym so I can have a personality like that guy'.

Holy crap, that cracked me up. :lol:
This thread will end well.
Reply 19
Looks are the most important thing. More important than everything you've listed...combined.

Latest

Trending

Trending