The Student Room Group

Poll: What's the PROPER way to brew a cup of tea?

Scroll to see replies

I personally think there should be another option on this poll about duration of leaving the teabag in: I have stared in horror as people dip their teabags into a mug of hot water for about 15 seconds, then add milk and remove, resulting in a disastrous cup of milky water.

Here is the correct way to make a cup of tea (if you are using a teabag and not loose tea):

Insert tea bag into mug
Pour freshly boiled water into mug
Leave to brew for exactly 3 minutes, pressing the tea bag every so often with a spoon to release even more tea
Remove tea bag
Add milk to taste, I prefer a larger amount of milk if you are brewing for a longer time like 3 minutes - i.e.

longer brew + more milk = nicer than shorter brew + less milk

Sugar in my opinion is unnecessary - I have accustomed myself to drinking tea without sugar and now if ever I have tea with sugar it tastes super weird
I wonder if people are responding to this with what they think is the correct way vs what is actually the correct way.

I mean, we all know you're supposed to put in water with the tea bag, take the bag out and add milk. But I'm not convinced this is actually the best way. This way you risk not making the tea strong enough.
Original post by She-Ra
I'm the second option but not a tea drinker.... when I left my job my team told me they wouldn't miss my tea run.... :s-smilie:

Pretty sure i've had a She-Ra made cup of tea recently and it tastes fine. :yep:

May start rating the various members of the team on their tea making skills.

Current tea i'm drinking was made by Armadillo, he confirmed the correct tea order of teabag, then water, then brew, then remove bag then milk before i let him near my mug. I'd pretty good but he didn't rinse my mug so it still has small amount of bits at the bottom whcih just increases on every mug i have. 9/10 could try harder.
add teabag and sugar
add water
add milk
remove teabag
??
I make teas for my parents every day (I don't like it though) and always go for the 2nd option.

Teabag, water, milk, remove teabag, voila!
The amusing thing about this poll is that it doesn't mention loose tea.. which our house uses.. because apparently we still live in war-time Britain.
Original post by Emememily733
The amusing thing about this poll is that it doesn't mention loose tea.. which our house uses.. because apparently we still live in war-time Britain.

Pah-lease loose tea is the only way to have a brew, so much more flavour plus you can mix teas to make gorgeous options :h:
Teabag in first, then pour the milk in to just cover the bag, then the boiling water, still for 5-10 seconds and then drink
Original post by Motorbiker
Good choice. People that add milk before removing the bag makes the bag weird and milky. It's weird.

And suger? :colonhash:

Who cares, it's going in the bin! The issue is once you've removed the bag you're then done. If you over milk, it's ruined. Leaving the brewed bag in allows wiggle room to get the colour right which is basically the whole point of tea.
Original post by Neostigmine
Who cares, it's going in the bin! The issue is once you've removed the bag you're then done. If you over milk, it's ruined. Leaving the brewed bag in allows wiggle room to get the colour right which is basically the whole point of tea.

But a lot of people use a teabag holder/composter for their teabags and it gets very grimey when covered in milk.
The only right answer;

However the person drinking it wants it.
But a lot of people use a teabag holder/composter for their teabags and it gets very grimey when covered in milk.

:yep: This is a serious problem. :eek:
Reply 152
no,no,no

its add sugar, add teabag, pour water, stir, remove teabag, add milk

I'd rather clean a grimey teabag holder daily than have overly milky tea :yes:.
Does anybody use tea leaves anymore? I don't mean those silly flavoured ones like Ginseng and Boot polish.
- Add BROWN sugar
- Add tea bag
- Pour in hot water
- Stir and squeeze the tea bag with a spoon before removing
- Add milk
- Stir

Job done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will never quite understand why some people add milk before taking out the teabag?! Always makes me cringe when someone makes a cup of tea for me like that :tongue:
Who in their right mind puts milk before water/teabag? I feel ill at the thought of it :puke:

With regards to the teabag/milk thing, if I'm in a rush I add the milk before taking out the teabag because chances are I haven't let the tea brew for long enough and removing the teabag before adding the milk will result in gross milky water. If I'm not rushed for time then I'll let the tea brew for a while and then remove the teabag, then add milk + sugar to taste :yep:
1. Get mug out
2. Put in a teabag
3. Add one sugar
4. Pour water in
5. Leave to brew
6. Remove teabag
7. Add milk and stir
Milk before teabag removal? You fiend. You don't mind the weird milky teabag?

I don't care if the teabag gets milky, it goes straight in the bin anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest