The Student Room Group

Switching courses on results day ?

Is it possible to switch courses from chemistry to physics ? Currently have a conditional offer. I've already had an extra year out so don't want to re-apply next year. Is my best hope adjustment ?

I Applied to uni near to me thinking i wasn't going to move out and they don't have a physics department. And as i completed my courses for A2 it now seems obvious i'd prefer a physics course.
Original post by John Dogg
Is it possible to switch courses from chemistry to physics ? Currently have a conditional offer. I've already had an extra year out so don't want to re-apply next year. Is my best hope adjustment ?

I Applied to uni near to me thinking i wasn't going to move out and they don't have a physics department. And as i completed my courses for A2 it now seems obvious i'd prefer a physics course.

Attempting to do this on results day when they are up to their eyeballs in clearing is the worst thing you could do. If this is what you want to do, call them now and talk about it ahead of the day. You can only enter adjustment if you meet and exceed your firm offer, so that's a very high risk strategy for your situation now.
Reply 2
Their physics course is a grade higher for requirements. So would it not be easier to switch when I have my results. And if I asked them now would I risk losing my current offer ?

My biggest question though is whether the course change is too drastic for them to consider? Would I have better luck if I went into clearing for physics, and would I need a new personal statement if I went down that route ?
Their physics course is a grade higher for requirements. So would it not be easier to switch when I have my results. And if I asked them now would I risk losing my current offer ?

My biggest question though is whether the course change is too drastic for them to consider? Would I have better luck if I went into clearing for physics, and would I need a new personal statement if I went down that route ?

Ask them in principle if you are in with a shout. If you have made your interest plain to them beforehand, it will smooth the way. No, they can't take your current offer away. I wouldn't have thought the change from chem to physics was massively drastic compared with what other people have done. If they say no now, then you can ask them to let you go in advance of results day so that you enter clearing straight away, without having to go through the process on the busiest day of the year. As to a new ps, some may ask for one, so get one written in advance. In any case, it is a good idea to crystallise in your mind why you want to do this course and it gives you something to refer to whilst on the phone. Be very sure that any course of action you take is not without risk, and be very sure of what you want and what the consequences will be before doing anything.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Ask them in principle if you are in with a shout. If you have made your interest plain to them beforehand, it will smooth the way. No, they can't take your current offer away. I wouldn't have thought the change from chem to physics was massively drastic compared with what other people have done. If they say no now, then you can ask them to let you go in advance of results day so that you enter clearing straight away, without having to go through the process on the busiest day of the year. As to a new ps, some may ask for one, so get one written in advance. In any case, it is a good idea to crystallise in your mind why you want to do this course and it gives you something to refer to whilst on the phone. Be very sure that any course of action you take is not without risk, and be very sure of what you want and what the consequences will be before doing anything.

Thank you, last question is physics often in clearing ? Or would I risk the chance of not finding a course ?
Thank you, last question is physics often in clearing ? Or would I risk the chance of not finding a course ?

There's always something. Whether or not it's where you want to go is another matter. I wouldn't hold my breath for Imperial if I were you, for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending