The Student Room Group

I am pro-Israel, ask me anything

I just want to set a couple of ground rules though first.
Please refrain from racism; mouthing off Zionists is very different to berating "Jewish scum", as I have seen Jews called.
Also please put forward reasonable lines of argument; I will not discuss with anyone who makes broad sweeping statements without any evidence, such as "Israel is racist, and kills civilians in a genocidal manner" or "Zionism is Naziism" or any other such nonsense.

Otherwise, let the questions begin.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood
Reply 2
Palestine > Israel
I support you 100% hope Israel can eradicate the terrorists and bring peace back to the region.

Glad Israel implemented the iron dome, could of been a lot more innocent civilians dying by now.
Why do you support Israel?

Do you support all of Israel's actions in Gaza?

What do you hope to see happen in the conflict? What do think of as the ideal solution to the conflict (one state, two-state, etc) and why?

(None of these questions are intended to be hostile/inflammatory)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dilsz
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Approximately 236 units. I think.
Original post by Roger1
Palestine > Israel

I fail to see how the words "Ask anything" in the title were so confusing to you.
Original post by Bill_Gates
I support you 100% hope Israel can eradicate the terrorists and bring peace back to the region.

Glad Israel implemented the iron dome, could of been a lot more innocent civilians dying by now.

Thanks, nice to see some support! Good to meet you as well buddy.
Original post by Bill_Gates

I'm not sure eradicating terrorists is the best way to do that - Vietnam war? Surely there are other ways to protect themselves sans violence?

OP - why do you support Israel? :smile:
What is your view on attempting to censure British news broadcasters from informing the British public on how to give money for humanitarian aid to the region?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by DouglasAdams
Please refrain from racism; mouthing off Zionists is very different to berating "Jewish scum", as I have seen Jews called.
Also please put forward reasonable lines of argument; I will not discuss with anyone who makes broad sweeping statements without any evidence, such as "Israel is racist, and kills civilians in a genocidal manner" or "Zionism is Naziism" or any other such nonsense.

Does pro-Israel mean you believe in the Jewish States right to exist or that you condone the current Israeli governments brutal campaign in Gaza?

Because they are two very different things?
Original post by mrandmr.crane
Why do you support Israel?

Do you support all of Israel's actions in Gaza?

What do you hope to see happen in the conflict? What do think of as the ideal solution to the conflict (one state, two-state, etc) and why?

(None of these questions are intended to be hostile/inflammatory)

Absolutely not inflammatory whatsoever and thanks indeed for asking in such a polite manner.

I support Israel for many reasons. I do confess that since I am Jewish and have family there, I naturally support Israel. However, I am not blind to arguments in any way whatsoever, and like many religious Jews, there are aspects of the State of Israel which I disagree with. If I felt Israel was committing any war crimes on purpose, or specifically targeting innocent civilians then I would simply add that to the list of things that I dislike about the State and would be more than pleased to argue against Israel in that respect. However, I am yet to see any reasonable evidence that convinces me otherwise.
Plus, I do support a UN-certified democracy over UN-certified terrorists, and choose Israel over Hamas in the same way that I preferred Britain and the US to the Taliban.

I think a two state solution would theoretically be the best deal but unfortunately terrorists like Hamas, and the brainwashing such groups inflict on young children, mean that Palestine could not exist where it wants to exist today without acts of terrorism continuing against Israel. And no, if settlements were stopped being built, I do not think it would stop terrorism, although it would improve Israel image obviously.
If terrorists like Hamas were to be wiped out completely, then yes I would support either a two-state solution or a one state solution in which Palestinians have rights as equal citizens. I do not have anything against Palestinians, although I do have huge issues with the ones that hate Israel and wish to kill its civilians.

Perhaps now it is best I come back to your second question. I do currently support all operations in Gaza because I believe that long term the lives of Palestinians can only be improved if terrorism in Gaza is stamped out once and for all. I do not feel civilians should be killed in the process, but I do not believe the IDF are committing such a crime. I know many members of the Israeli Defence Forces who have mentioned to me in casual and private conversation about the way certain civilians run to be part of a human shield, or the ways in which Hamas force them to be a member of a human shield, or the way Hamas is responsible for civilian deaths by hoarding weapons in civilian areas and neighbourhoods. I feel Hamas is responsible for the deaths of Gazan civilians, and would not support Israel's methods to kill civilians if that is what I felt they were doing.
What do you think about those kids killed on that beach?
Original post by Blues Clues
I'm not sure eradicating terrorists is the best way to do that - Vietnam war? Surely there are other ways to protect themselves sans violence?

OP - why do you support Israel? :smile:

Sorry not to answer your question for you personally but I will copy and paste the paragraph I wrote above for someone else in response to the same question:

I support Israel for many reasons. I do confess that since I am Jewish and have family there, I naturally support Israel. However, I am not blind to arguments in any way whatsoever, and like many religious Jews, there are aspects of the State of Israel which I disagree with. If I felt Israel was committing any war crimes on purpose, or specifically targeting innocent civilians then I would simply add that to the list of things that I dislike about the State and would be more than pleased to argue against Israel in that respect. However, I am yet to see any reasonable evidence that convinces me otherwise.
Plus, I do support a UN-certified democracy over UN-certified terrorists, and choose Israel over Hamas in the same way that I preferred Britain and the US to the Taliban.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What is your view on attempting to censure British news broadcasters from informing the British public on how to give money for humanitarian aid to the region?

I have not heard of any such plans. Nonetheless, I would say that if money is going to be given as aid, then very good.
Unfortunately, a lot of charity money is not always sent to the people who need it, and too often it is indeed hijacked by the wrong sorts of people. In this case, if Hamas were to be stealing aid money through various methods of deception then I would say people should indeed not donate directly, and instead go through a safe option like a registered large charity.
Reply 15
How much did the jews pay you?
Are you pro-Israel because you believe in a Jewish state, or because you believe in a democratic, secular state?
Original post by DK_Tipp
Does pro-Israel mean you believe in the Jewish States right to exist or that you condone the current Israeli governments brutal campaign in Gaza?

Because they are two very different things?

I obviously believe in the right of the Jewish State, Israel, to exist.
As for its campaign in Gaza, I do support it although not to the extreme of killing civilians because I do not feel that is what they have ever once been attempting to do. In fact, they have tried to avoid civilian casualties.

As for your question, I am disappointed that it was a leading question. I asked in the OP to be impartial and put forward reasonable arguments backed up by evidence and then you call the campaign in Gaza "brutal" with no evidence that it has been anything but action against terrorism.
Reply 18
Thanks, nice to see some support! Good to meet you as well buddy.

You just scolded someone for not asking a question but then praise another guy that did the same thing... Double standards much :K:

How does it feel to have a hell of a lot of people hating you for your views?

Are you with me Brother?

Quick Reply

Latest