The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chindits
Because despite the bigoted opinion of some about Israel, around 20 times more people have died in neighbouring Syria in 3 years, as have died on both sides of Israel/Pal combined in 47 years.
And? What does that prove? That Israelis are *slightly* less terrorist-y? Give me a break.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Much of what Israel has done when is not breaking international law? If killing children playing football on a beach isn't a war crime in breach of international law then frankly I don't know what is.

How many countries would then be guilty?

How many wedding parties and villagers has NATO (British and American forces) bombed in Pakistan and Afghanistan?

When NATO went into Serbia, they bombed hospitals, a column of fleeing refugees (killing 70), they bombed civilian homes and even managed to bomb a bordering country.

If mistakes in conflict are to be war crimes, then put every nation in the dock - not just Israel.

But it seems with some bigots, Israel is treated with different standards.
Much of what Israel has done when is not breaking international law? If killing children playing football on a beach isn't a war crime in breach of international law then frankly I don't know what is.

I don't know about specific cases, but if those children were collateral from an attack on a military target then that is not illegal. It would only be illegal if Israel deliberately targeted those children, and not a military target nearby.
It's amazing how many people are willing to take the word of an internationally proscribed terrorist group, over the Arab league, Egyptians, Ban Ki Moon and even the PA.
Please provide some sources that show the people you mentioned claiming that Hamas were consulted and part of the drafting of the ceasefire.

The fact that the terrorist leader sitting in his hotel in Qatar has said today that "the time for talks is no ripe yet" would further indicate who is culpable.

And what of the deputy speaker of the Israel Knesset who supported the ethnic cleansing of Gaza?

It puts the conflict and casualties in context.

More Kurdish civilians have been killed by Turkey than 'palestinians' by Israel

More Israelis die from peanut allergies than are killed by rockets from Gaza.

Is that sufficient context for you?
Original post by Ahsim
The actions of a state can lead them to be labelled as a terrorist state. - - Israel killing children playing football in the beach in Gaza is an act of terrorism, as is the constant oppression against innocent Palestinians. Checkpoints, home evictions etc etc. Because of this, it is justified for Israel to be labelled a Terrorist state.

If it were true, every single state in the world would be a terrorist state since every state uses intimidation of some sort to achieve political ends, be it forcing it's citizens to pay taxes as in the UK, or intimidation of political opponents as per Putin's Russia, at which point the very phrase "terrorist state" becomes meaningless.

The deaths of innocent children playing football was a terrible thing, but certainly not intentional.

Checkpoints are totally justified given the frequency of suicide bombings in Israel prior to both the building of the wall and the creation of these points. Also bear in mind that many of these suicide bombers are very young and naive and when Israel does catch them, remove the explosive vest, they are still alive and can hopefully be reformed

also hi
Original post by james22
I don't know about specific cases, but if those children were collateral from an attack on a military target then that is not illegal. It would only be illegal if Israel deliberately targeted those children, and not a military target nearby.

You can decide for yourself.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israelgaza-conflict-leaflets-dropped-on-northern-gaza-ordering-100000-to-evacuate-amid-fears-of-imminent-ground-incursion-9609788.html
How many countries would then be guilty?

How many wedding parties and villagers has NATO (British and American forces) bombed in Pakistan and Afghanistan?

When NATO went into Serbia, they bombed hospitals, a column of fleeing refugees (killing 70), they bombed civilian homes and even managed to bomb a bordering country.

If mistakes in conflict are to be war crimes, then put every nation in the dock - not just Israel.

But it seems with some bigots, Israel is treated with different standards.

Lord have mercy on this child's soul
Please provide some sources that show the people you mentioned claiming that Hamas were consulted and part of the drafting of the ceasefire.

And what of the deputy speaker of the Israel Knesset who supported the ethnic cleansing of Gaza?

More Israelis die from peanut allergies than are killed by rockets from Gaza.

Is that sufficient context for you?

Do I sense a lowkey fan here 👀
Israel is propped up and backed by the West. That is the reason.

I support this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PaulPaulPaul
Do I sense a lowkey fan here

Long Live Palestine :wink:

This basically just says what you said. What did Israel say about the matter? This does not rule out there being weapons or rockets nearby. No evidence that the boys were deliberately targets (mistakes happen) either.

Israel has committed war crimes in the past, and probably does now, but to claim (as a lot of people do) that any civilian deaths are a war crime is just stupid.
Original post by Bill_Gates
lol they buy most their weapons from the international community. Causalities are very common for any war zone (im totally against them too) but if they didnt want a war maybe the cowards should stop hiding behind women and children?

Just because Israel is successful and hard working and can afford the military expenditure to protect its citizens (iron dome) does not mean it should tolerate their barbaric behaviour.

More blatant Zionist spin.

That is exactly why the International community ought to ask questions...

This hiding behind women and children fallacy really irks me. Where are these women and children supposed to go in one of the most densely populated areas in the world which has it's borders closed and a naval blockade sitting off it's coast. MSF have described it as an open prison!

In any event even if Hamas hide behind women and children does that make it morally acceptable to kill said women and children? You believe they should respond to barbaric behaviour with even more barbarism.

Of course Israel has an economic advantage over Gaza. They've closed Gaza's borders! The Palestinians can't trade with anyone. This is one of their key demands, that the borders are opened so they can grow their economy and invest in public services. And you're consistent referral to the Jews as being harder working lends your argument a rather sinister racial undertone.

And please for the love of God stop starting your replies on this thread with "lol". Regardless of your opinion the idea that you see this deadly conflict as a laughing matter suggests you're completely desensitised to violence which is a bit chilling.
Original post by yo radical one
If it were true, every single state in the world would be a terrorist state since every state uses intimidation of some sort to achieve political ends, be it forcing it's citizens to pay taxes as in the UK, or intimidation of political opponents as per Putin's Russia, at which point the very phrase "terrorist state" becomes meaningless.

The deaths of innocent children playing football was a terrible thing, but certainly not intentional.

Checkpoints are totally justified given the frequency of suicide bombings in Israel prior to both the building of the wall and the creation of these points. Also bear in mind that many of these suicide bombers are very young and naive and when Israel does catch them, remove the explosive vest, they are still alive and can hopefully be reformed

also hi

'Not intentional' are you really that stupid?
Reply 1093

Israeli soldiers crying at the losses of 13 soldiers, but think it's okay killing innocent women and children and not expect a retaliation
Original post by james22
This basically just says what you said. What did Israel say about the matter? This does not rule out there being weapons or rockets nearby. No evidence that the boys were deliberately targets (mistakes happen) either.

They admitted full culpability and apologised for the slaughter of the innocent children and paid reparations to their families.

Back in reality...

[video="youtube;M_-76H-YRjs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-76H-YRjs[/video]

Israel has committed war crimes in the past, and probably does now, but to claim (as a lot of people do) that any civilian deaths are a war crime is just stupid.

I agree.

Look at how much good Israel has done. Israel is avoiding civilians, while Gaza aims at civilians.
Original post by PaulPaulPaul
'Not intentional' are you really that stupid?

Why would Israel kill these people?

The only people who have anything to gain from innocent children dying are Hamas who use it in their propaganda war
They admitted full culpability and apologised for the slaughter of the innocent children and paid reparations to their families.

Back in reality...

[video="youtube;M_-76H-YRjs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-76H-YRjs[/video]

Did they ever say what the reason for the attack was? Given how they acted afterwards it doesn't sound like a war crime, sounds much more like an error of some sorts. I wouldn't expect people to apologise for something like this if it was deliberate (and ordered from higher up, not just a nutty soldier being a bit psycho).

I agree.

Good, this was basically the original point I was trying to make.
Original post by tsr1269
Given the fact that the news agency you quoted did not state which party broke it first, your statement is debunked and you owe now owe me £20.

I accept cheques and IOU's if you are really desperate for cash...

I want a credible source other than CNN proving that the Israeli tanks fired first

and I have the £20 - I had taken a picture with your username written on a piece of paper next to the note, but it won't let me upload
Original post by james22
Did they ever say what the reason for the attack was? Given how they acted afterwards it doesn't sound like a war crime, sounds much more like an error of some sorts. I wouldn't expect people to apologise for something like this if it was deliberate (and ordered from higher up, not just a nutty soldier being a bit psycho).

Watch the first minute of the video I quoted above with Jon Snow. Regev pleads ignorance, basically. No apology, no reparations, nothing.

I have seen no report that has stated that militants were near the children, so this sounds a lot like a war crime to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending