The Student Room Group

I am pro-Israel, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy Secretan
What do you think about those kids killed on that beach?

I am glad you asked because I was deeply saddened and outraged to hear about that news.
I understand that the IDF are investigating the matter, and if indeed it was found out to be a rogue pilot or the like, then he should indeed be punished to the full extent of the law, in accordance with his crimes.
Original post by felamaslen
Are you pro-Israel because you believe in a Jewish state, or because you believe in a democratic, secular state?

I believe in a Jewish State but I am not actively against the current state. I prefer it far greater to no state at all, unlike some religious fanatics.
I do however believe in some of the aspects of democracy, such as freedom of press etc. I do also believe in democratic equal rights for (ethnic) minorities in Israel, including Palestinians and Arabs.
Reply 22
Nice to meet you, JIDF
Original post by Hijr
You just scolded someone for not asking a question but then praise another guy that did the same thing... Double standards much :K:

How does it feel to have a hell of a lot of people hating you for your views?

I scolded that person because not only did he not ask a question, but was antagonistic, making the exact kind of stupid generalisation I did not want. I praised the other guy because his comment was not a direct challenge to my thread, rather just a casual comment and praise. I could choose to reply to that one or not whereas the other undermined the point of the thread.

And it can be difficult having people hate me for my views, but ultimately I am proud to stand up for what I believe in.
Why do you think Israel is not sanctioned for refusing to allow IAEA access to its nuclear plants or ratifying the NPT?

Do you think it is thus hypocritical of Israel to be so virulently pursuing sanctions (and attacks) on Iran's nuclear power plants which are open to 24/7 IAEA inspection seeing as Iran has ratified the NPT and declared a fatwa against pursuing nuclear weapons?

Do you think the middle east would be a safer and more stable area if:
a) Israel eradicated its stockpile of nuclear weapons (so the middle east was a nuclear weapon free zone)
b) Iran developed nuclear weapons (so both Iran and Israel had nuclear weapons)
Original post by Wilsoncw1997

Are you with me Brother?

Haha, yes, hence the thread title.
Reply 26

thoughts?
Reply 27

Are you with me Brother?

13000 hamas soldiers still remain, Israel will face a brutal end, with Hezbollah from the other side
Original post by DouglasAdams
I believe in a Jewish State but I am not actively against the current state. I prefer it far greater to no state at all, unlike some religious fanatics.
I do however believe in some of the aspects of democracy, such as freedom of press etc. I do also believe in democratic equal rights for (ethnic) minorities in Israel, including Palestinians and Arabs.

See, my support for the country comes only from the fact that it is a liberal democracy fighting tyrannies. If it were fighting liberal democracies then I would not support it.
Original post by aka r

13000 hamas soldiers still remain, Israel will face a brutal end, with Hezbollah from the other side

At least we would go down in style.

אלוהים יברך את
ישראל
(edited 9 years ago)
Israel=land thieves
Reply 31

At least we would go down in style.

אלוהים יברך את
ישראל

No we go down in style
[video="youtube;p6iHPwQP2YY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6iHPwQP2YY[/video]

walking to their deaths, no fear, Martyrdom, not like the coward Israeli
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by DouglasAdams
I obviously believe in the right of the Jewish State, Israel, to exist.
As for its campaign in Gaza, I do support it although not to the extreme of killing civilians because I do not feel that is what they have ever once been attempting to do. In fact, they have tried to avoid civilian casualties.

As for your question, I am disappointed that it was a leading question. I asked in the OP to be impartial and put forward reasonable arguments backed up by evidence and then you call the campaign in Gaza "brutal" with no evidence that it has been anything but action against terrorism.

I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous statement full of contradiction. If this is trying to avoid killing civilians I'd hate to see what Netanyahu and his cronies would do if they threw caution to the wind.

I cannot for a moment believe that a nation that spends $15 billion on it's defence forces cannot defend it's borders without killing hundreds of civilians. Whether it's an act of aggression or an act against terrorists it's still brutal, the evidence being the mass of civilian fatalities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Why do you think Israel is not sanctioned for refusing to allow IAEA access to its nuclear plants or ratifying the NPT?

Do you think it is thus hypocritical of Israel to be so virulently pursuing sanctions (and attacks) on Iran's nuclear power plants which are open to 24/7 IAEA inspection seeing as Iran has ratified the NPT and declared a fatwa against pursuing nuclear weapons?

Do you think the middle east would be a safer and more stable area if:
a) Israel eradicated its stockpile of nuclear weapons (so the middle east was a nuclear weapon free zone)
b) Iran developed nuclear weapons (so both Iran and Israel had nuclear weapons)

The answer to all of those questions ultimately comes down to the differences between Israel and Iran.
There are many problems with Iran which include the fact that although they may elect a more moderate president, it is ultimately the Ayatollah who is in charge. This is the same Ayatollah who sit back and let, or more like sided with, Ahmadinejad when he made statements such as pledging to wipe Israel off the face of the map, or effectively declaring possible war on the West and the USA. This makes it incredibly difficult to trust Iran.
Even without that, there are still doubts about whether one can trust the new president Rouhani and significant doubts surround him despite being called a moderate, the suicide statement of his son included amongst them. And whichever way you look at it, Iran have lied to the West for years about the purposes of their nuclear research and it is extremely difficult to trust them now.
Iran are also doing this less out of their free will, and more buckling in the face of extreme sanctions.

Not to mention the fact that the West can trust another democracy in Israel, but less the sort of dictatorship that goes on Iran.
And another key point is this:
Israel has most likely had its nukes for years, and has never even threatened, let alone contemplated using them. Iran by contrast are a liability and could do anything when they get theirs. No-one is declaring war on Iran so they do NOT need them.

I do not see that Israel would ever eradicate its stock seeing as it has so many foreign enemies, and I, like the democracies, do not trust Iran either for the reasons above.
Plus the Western countries that effectively control all of these international regulatory bodies have no motivation for Israel to eradicate its stock so once again it will never occur.

I hope I answered your questions in that ramble.
Original post by Guy Secretan
Israel=land thieves

We are not thieves!!!
We got back what was suppose to be us.
Original post by felamaslen
See, my support for the country comes only from the fact that it is a liberal democracy fighting tyrannies. If it were fighting liberal democracies then I would not support it.

Would you support every action a liberal democracy carried out just because it is a liberal democracy?

What about when a liberal democracy carries out actions on people not from within said liberal democracy? The people facing the consequence of these actions had no part to play in the democratic process you are so fond of. It is entirety possible for a "freedom loving" country to behave horrendously to people outside of it's borders.

I also have problems with describing Israel as a liberal democracy for the same reasons I would america, but that is for another thread and I can't be arsed going down that road again. (when using the dictionary definition of 'liberal' and 'democracy')
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aka r
No we go down in style
[video="youtube;eNTPncxvmbQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6iHPwQP2YY[/video]

walking to their deaths, no fear, Martyrdom, not like the coward Israeli

What type of god do you worship?
Not afraid of death?
Life is the greatest gift of god, and you aint cherishing it one bit.
Original post by iamu

thoughts?

And stretch it back a bit futher and Israel start losing land. The decision to give Israel their own land was a UN-decision long ago decided and Israel gained a lot of land since then through wars it did not start.
Plus, the only ones who no longer support Israel's right to exist are terrorists although you are welcome to side with them if you so wish.
-In 2008, Israel sent soldiers into Gaza. An estimated 1,300 people, many of them civilians, were killed in Gaza before a ceasefire was declared; 13 Israeli soldiers also died.
-In 2012, at least 167 Palestinians and six Israelis were killed during an Israeli operation. After eight days a ceasefire was declared with both sides promising to stop attacks.
-Most recently in July 2014, Palestinian authorities said over 200 people were killed by Israeli air strikes and many more injured. Israel says more than 1,100 rockets were fired from Gaza, seriously injuring at least four Israelis, with one Israeli man killed. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/20436092)

-Around 7000 Palestinians have been killed since 2001 compared to 1000 Israelis. (http://www.ifamericansknew.org/stat/deaths.html )

-Almost 90,000 Palestinians have been killed compared to 24,000 Israelis since 1920.(http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/casualtiestotal.html)

Maybe these figures may not be accurate but they all show a significantly higher number of deaths in Palestine.
What do you think of Palestinians irredentist claims?
Do you know any Zionists?
Do you agree with the way Israel was formed?
Original post by DK_Tipp
I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous statement full of contradiction. If this is trying to avoid killing civilians I'd hate to see what Netanyahu and his cronies would do if they threw caution to the wind.

I cannot for a moment believe that a nation that spends $15 billion on it's defence forces cannot defend it's borders without killing hundreds of civilians. Whether it's an act of aggression or an act against terrorists it's still brutal, the evidence being the mass of civilian fatalities.

This is exactly the type of ignorance that is impossible to argue with.
The might of the USA spent more on its defence forces in Vietnam, and still manged to kill 587,000 civilians. You cannot fight against guerrilla tactics without civilian lives being lost. The fact that so few Palestinian civilian lives have been lost is wonderful.

Quick Reply

Latest