I have no A levels!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ByronicHero
Which universities?

I'm not going to guess how academic you are. :tongue:

Clever :P

Original post by an100
if you want to get a degree then do the a levels and apply for the universities, but if your main concern is to be able to get a good job, then you can go into job straightaway, many people have not done alevels but are very successful in their career.

Yeah im looking for ways outside a level

Original post by _jake_
A foundation year which takes place at an actual university (like a year 0) does require A-levels. These years are funded by student finance and you can stay in Halls, so it's basically just a degree that takes four years rather than three. Some of these courses do allow people with lots of relevant work experience in the subject area, but I'm not sure if this applies to you.

However, if you don't have A-levels, your local further education college should have 'Access' courses which normally take a year to complete and can be used as a replacement for A-levels and you can use it to apply to University to study whatever course you like - as long as you have completed relevant modules. Some colleges have 'Access to Humanities', 'Access to Science' and 'Access to Health Professions' courses, so you have to pick which is relevant to the degree subject you wish to study. Furthermore, these courses are NOT funded by student finance and will have to be paid for privately and the cost can vary, but they are not normally any more than £5000. Also most universities don't publish their access requirements as entry this way is in the minority, so you will have to contact them directly.

Thanks when can i start access? What do you mean by they dont publish their access requirements?

So Access = more costs and a levels is cheaper am I right? If i do a level its 2 years and access its 1 year? with access I can have access to full honours degree yes?
Reply 21
Original post by _jake_
I've just looked at The Manchester College - because I'm bored - and noticed that they have an amazing amount of access courses! Here's a few for you to take a look at:

Nursing and Allied health professions http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/options/110/Nursing-and-Allied-Health-Professions

Med, Dentistry, Pharmacy http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/options/193/Medicine-Dentistry-Pharmacy-and-Medical-Science

Law http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/adults/courses/professions-law-criminology-0

Business and Management http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/adults/courses/business-management

Humanities and Social Sciences http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/adults/courses/humanities-social-sciences

And there is loads more, just go to their website and in the search box type 'access'.

How old are you by the way?

Reply 22
bump
Access courses are the simplest, quickest and most efficient way.
Reply 24
Original post by carnationlilyrose

What if your 18? Also the lady said that access doesn't necessarily mean you will get accepted by the uni
Original post by SlaveEarth
What if your 18? Also the lady said that access doesn't necessarily mean you will get accepted by the uni

Sorry, if you are 18 then it'll have to be A levels. Access is widely accepted by universities, whatever 'the lady' says.
Reply 26
bump

This. :smile:
Though my only concern is that graduate employers don't like Access courses; prefering A level or BTEC qualifications (on UCAS point basis).
Access doesn't give UCAS points does it?

Thought you said you were 19 :P
Yeah; though if you do well you will most likely get a place, as long as all is well with application.
Reply 29
Original post by hellodave5
Thought you said you were 19 :P
Yeah; though if you do well you will most likely get a place, as long as all is well with application.

do well in what mr walter white?
Though my only concern is that graduate employers don't like Access courses; prefering A level or BTEC qualifications (on UCAS point basis).

Access offers are made on a different basis to Ucas points, but it's not my area of expertise.
Reply 31

hmm
Reply 32
Access offers are made on a different basis to Ucas points, but it's not my area of expertise.

dont u hav to be 21+
do well in what mr walter white?

An access course.

Aye.
Just when looking at career options; graduate employers often ask for such and such UCAS points (often around 280).
I'm assuming with Access, you will be omitted from their applications? (due to not fulfilling that requirement).
Reply 35
An access course.

possible to get access course at young age? im 19 n girlfriends 18
dont u hav to be 21+

Yes, sorry, I missed your age earlier on. Doing too many threads at once.
Reply 37
Yes, sorry, I missed your age earlier on. Doing too many threads at once.

do you?
possible to get access course at young age? im 19 n girlfriends 18

Some offer the course at 19 years of age, though many are 21... I think.

Is your first language English?
what are my options? I come from manchester lot of friends etc have got full a levels unfortunately I had a health problem which lead me to not studying. I do have GCSES. What are my future options? I was thinking to go back to USA and study there. What are foundation degrees? Do ALL foundation degrees lead to honours degree? Will foundation degree garentee me a honours?

Someone might have suggested this already, but what about open university?

Quick Reply

Latest