The Student Room Group

I have no A levels!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Someone might have suggested this already, but what about open university?

is that physical or all ONLINE? That is looked down upon i just want a degree from good uni
Reply 41
Original post by hellodave5
Some offer the course at 19 years of age, though many are 21... I think.

Is your first language English?

Am I speaking english to you? lol. of course it is. I was born here.
Original post by SlaveEarth
is that physical or all ONLINE? That is looked down upon i just want a degree from good uni

It depends on the course I think - some have a few physical lessons you attend alongside the online learning.

It's not looked down upon. OU degrees are actually very well respected. They show you have commitment and motivation to do the work by yourself, and someone I know did one of these courses, and they said it was actually quite difficult, and of the same quality as a regular brick uni degree.
Reply 43
It depends on the course I think - some have a few physical lessons you attend alongside the online learning.

It's not looked down upon. OU degrees are actually very well respected. They show you have commitment and motivation to do the work by yourself, and someone I know did one of these courses, and they said it was actually quite difficult, and of the same quality as a regular brick uni degree.

Do i need any entry requirements to do them?
Do i need any entry requirements to do them?

What course are you looking to do? - I'll check their website :smile:
Reply 45
What course are you looking to do? - I'll check their website :smile:

anything really. computer business maths, science i dont miind
anything really. computer business maths, science i dont miind

Of all the courses you said none have formal entry requirements. :smile:

Computing and IT: None

Business studies: None

Maths: None

Natural Science: None
Reply 47

Thanks when can i start access? What do you mean by they dont publish their access requirements?

So Access = more costs and a levels is cheaper am I right? If i do a level its 2 years and access its 1 year? with access I can have access to full honours degree yes?

If you're 19 you may be entitled to financial help, possibly the course being free, if this is your first level 3 qualification (A-levels, Access). So I wouldn't worry about the financial commitments right now. First you need to decide whether you want to study for an access or a-levels qualification. The fastest route would be to take an access course, which will also help you by giving you skills required at uni and you'll be around more mature students in a similar position to yourself. Whereas A-levels are probably more academic and will take 2 years, so you'd be 21 by the time you go to uni. However, you mentioned that you'd like to go to the best university you can? The top uni's most likely would prefer you to have studied for A-levels - but, it is not unheard of for people to be given an offer having studied for an access course. The best person to speak to about the financial side of both courses would be the college you intend to study at as the fees are not universal.

What I meant by not publishing their access requirements is that often on their websites they'll only list their A-level reqs, so you'd need to email or call them.

Also only a foundation year at a university guarantees you entry on to a degree upon completion at their own institution. If you complete an access course, you'd need to apply via UCAS to the universities you want to attend and hope you get in. It does NOT guarantee you a place on a degree programme, but provides you with the entry requirements to be admitted. Completing A-levels or an access course puts you in this position.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by _jake_
If you're 19 you may be entitled to financial help, possibly the course being free, if this is your first level 3 qualification (A-levels, Access). So I wouldn't worry about the financial commitments right now. First you need to decide whether you want to study for an access or a-levels qualification. The fastest route would be to take an access course, which will also help you by giving you skills required at uni and you'll be around more mature students in a similar position to yourself. Whereas A-levels are probably more academic and will take 2 years, so you'd be 21 by the time you go to uni. However, you mentioned that you'd like to go to the best university you can? The top uni's most likely would prefer you to have studied for A-levels - but, it is not unheard of for people to be given an offer having studied for an access course. The best person to speak to about the financial side of both courses would be the college you intend to study at as the fees are not universal.

What I meant by not publishing their access requirements is that often on their websites they'll only list their A-level reqs, so you'd need to email or call them.

Also only a foundation year at a university guarantees you entry on to a degree upon completion at their own institution. If you complete an access course, you'd need to apply via UCAS to the universities you want to attend and hope you get in. It does NOT guarantee you a place on a degree programme, but provides you with the entry requirements to be admitted. Completing A-levels or an access course puts you in this position.

Thanks. What is the best access course to take that will give me broad aspect on what to choose in uni? Can A friend of mine take access at age 18?
Reply 49
You're best deciding on whether you want to study a science or humanities based degree subject. A science access course won't provide you with the necessary knowledge to study History, and vice versa. You should pick the one that most interests you, so have a look at various degree subjects offered at universities you'd like to go to. Perhaps you should look at what your favourite subject was at GCSE level and whether you preferred writing long essays for English or were better at Science, that should show were your strengths lie academically. Then once you've decided, but may not be sure on the degree subject, pick an access course that is very generalised, so 'Access to Science' or 'Access to Humanities and Social studies' rather than a particular one like 'Access to Law' or 'Access to Medical Science', for example. Or if you know that you'd like to study Law or business, pick an access course specifically for that subject (if they offer it).

Probably not, no. Most colleges make their access courses 19+ or 21+ to keep them for mature students and for funding reasons. At 18 they'd probably push towards A-levels or BTECs which would be mostly younger people in class.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
DO you apply before or after access course? does that mean 2 years
Reply 51
DO you apply before or after access course? does that mean 2 years

You apply during your 1 year Access course and any offer of a uni place will be conditional on your final Access results. As long as you meet that condition, you will start your degree the September after you finish your Access course. So the process still takes 1 year.

Beware that in order to get a conditional offer in the first place, you need to submit a credible Personal Statement as part of your UCAS application. You'll have to say why you want to study the subject for which you're applying, so if you don't have a preferred degree subject, now is a good time to decide. There are different types of Access course, so you need to do the right one for your target degree.
Reply 52
what are my options? I come from manchester lot of friends etc have got full a levels unfortunately I had a health problem which lead me to not studying. I do have GCSES. What are my future options? I was thinking to go back to USA and study there. What are foundation degrees? Do ALL foundation degrees lead to honours degree? Will foundation degree garentee me a honours?

Do a BTEC which is a valid substitute; But to be honest, I would rather have a-levels. I am working as a headhunter currently and the best qualified for jobs usually have very strong academic backgrounds including A-levels.
Reply 53
Original post by Kasa
Do a BTEC which is a valid substitute; But to be honest, I would rather have a-levels. I am working as a headhunter currently and the best qualified for jobs usually have very strong academic backgrounds including A-levels.

so access course means u get no good jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest