The Student Room Group

Benefits Britain:life on the dole ? Opinions

Scroll to see replies

The people who do worst out of permanent welfare are those on permanent welfare. They're sucked into dependency. The canard that welfare creates equality is far from the truth; a much more sincere form of equality is when people are equally productive and held to account equally before the law. If people are not equally productive then society can never be truly equal.
And yet the British public do nothing
Ukip will not fix the blatent problems
Reply 42
Original post by IMBCFC
What do you think ?

A romanian family in Rotherham live with 11 children and get £24,000 in benefits a year, only worked a month in the 7 years they have been here. Some other Romanians plan on living in the UK to get money to send back home to make ends meet. Wtf come into our country no work, no tax and send money to make ends meet in your home country, is it charity ?

Absolutely boils my blood, I work part time and study full time and both my parents work and we barely scrape £24,000, and thats all hard work no benefits.

So the Government just lets them get away with this all they do is go sit at home drink, smoke and go to the job centre, not to mention the increase in crime they can bring such as pick pocketing, mugging, aggressive begging.

Is this what the UK is now a charity for poorer countries, while the tax payers pay for all this just great isnt it ! :mad:

It also irritates me as well when people come into the country, take benefits and don't pay tax , but they're British people that do the same thing. So what do you expect Romanians and others to do when British people are doing the exact same thing?
Original post by femi1
It also irritates me as well when people come into the country, take benefits and don't pay tax , but they're British people that do the same thing. So what do you expect Romanians and others to do when British people are doing the exact same thing?

I suppose so, but there citizens of this country it is bad and something should be done, but its worse when immigrants come in and literally rip the welfare system apart, and its not just a bit of cash it is a lot of money !
Reply 44
Original post by felamaslen
The people who do worst out of permanent welfare are those on permanent welfare. They're sucked into dependency. The canard that welfare creates equality is far from the truth; a much more sincere form of equality is when people are equally productive and held to account equally before the law. If people are not equally productive then society can never be truly equal.

If people are equally productive, then they should get an equal reward.
Reply 45
Probably the best option really if your job pays you less than a grand a month and you have kids. Your rent gets paid for and you get an extra 400 or 600 for expenses. But really it creates a cycle of dependence in the family, so that even though the tax payer is willing to pay for the mother, the tax payer hopes the mother now with enough clothes and food for her children, is able to educate them better and encourage them to be model contributing adults of the future. But alas noo...
Reply 46
Original post by Blue_Mason
And yet the British public do nothing
Ukip will not fix the blatent problems

Obviously UKIP will not, they don't have a single seat. While they probably will get one or two in 2015, they don't actually represent any power, they represent a protest vote. If they ever got into power, they'd be just as s*** as everyone else.
I think that the government should give out food stamps etc so people on the dole can't use it on things that aren't necessities e.g cigarettes. I also think there should be a limit as to how long you can claim job seekers allowance without having went back to school to increase their chances of getting work and that they should have to learn english. I also think that the people pictured on that show stealing and abusing the system etc should lose their benefits.

I think the people who really need benefits can't get them (e.g. my granny who is a cancer survivor and can't work because chemo has weakened her bones, zapped her energy etc) and it's a disgrace. It's also not just immigrants who are draining the hard working tax payers money but nationals as well; I know one couple (a morbidly obese woman and a 'man' who everyone in my community thinks/knows he is a peadophile) who put stones in their shoes before going to a meeting to be assessed as to whether they were entitled to disability allowance, and the mixture of not being able to walk and obesity lead to them getting it, oh and a new car:angry: Ridiculous!
Original post by tara_mc_
I think that the government should give out food stamps etc so people on the dole can't use it on things that aren't necessities e.g cigarettes. I also think there should be a limit as to how long you can claim job seekers allowance without having went back to school to increase their chances of getting work and that they should have to learn english. I also think that the people pictured on that show stealing and abusing the system etc should lose their benefits.

I think the people who really need benefits can't get them (e.g. my granny who is a cancer survivor and can't work because chemo has weakened her bones, zapped her energy etc) and it's a disgrace. It's also not just immigrants who are draining the hard working tax payers money but nationals as well; I know one couple (a morbidly obese woman and a 'man' who everyone in my community thinks/knows he is a peadophile) who put stones in their shoes before going to a meeting to be assessed as to whether they were entitled to disability allowance, and the mixture of not being able to walk and obesity lead to them getting it, oh and a new car:angry: Ridiculous!

Which political party actually stops any of this or do the government make money out benefits to ??
Original post by nohomo
If people are equally productive, then they should get an equal reward.

The trouble is, people are not equally productive and some people wish to bridge this gap by force, which generally-speaking is a bad idea.
Reply 50
It's all well and good calling anyone "lazy scrounges" when the reality is that there simply aren't enough jobs for everyone in the country. Immigration is lax in this country because we have an ageing population and a low birth rate, and immigrants help keep up the number of young people and births in the country. It might shock some people to learn that the is no one answer that will solve everyone's problems.
Reply 51
Original post by Per
It's all well and good calling anyone "lazy scrounges" when the reality is that there simply aren't enough jobs for everyone in the country. Immigration is lax in this country because we have an ageing population and a low birth rate, and immigrants help keep up the number of young people and births in the country. It might shock some people to learn that the is no one answer that will solve everyone's problems.

You mention there not being enough jobs.. then go on to imply there arn't enough workers to support the ageing population and low birth rate. Surely the two are contradictory?
Original post by IMBCFC
Which political party actually stops any of this or do the government make money out benefits to ??

Politicians are afraid of losing votes from people on the dole so they are really careful about even mentioning stopping or changing the system really. Benefits are just money got from tax paid by working people, so the government don't really gain/lose but if there were less people scamming the benefits they would have more money to put on education etc:mad:
Reply 53
Original post by tara_mc_
Politicians are afraid of losing votes from people on the dole so they are really careful about even mentioning stopping or changing the system really. Benefits are just money got from tax paid by working people, so the government don't really gain/lose but if there were less people scamming the benefits they would have more money to put on education etc:mad:

If there were fewer people scamming the benefits system, we could have a nohomo allowance paid to me of 5% of the annual budget :biggrin:
Original post by lerjj
Obviously UKIP will not, they don't have a single seat. While they probably will get one or two in 2015, they don't actually represent any power, they represent a protest vote. If they ever got into power, they'd be just as s*** as everyone else.

And see that is the hypocrisy of the British people who complain about scroungers,immigration,housing etc but yet no group is willing to stand up and come out with any realistic ideas that could benefit us in the long run
You ****ing joker, it's 11 children with their parents. They're obviously going to need that much, if not more.
Original post by nohomo
If there were fewer people scamming the benefits system, we could have a nohomo allowance paid to me of 5% of the annual budget :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
welfare shouldn't exist
Original post by zippity.doodah
welfare shouldn't exist

The fair kind of welfare should exist.
Original post by TheCynicalChild
The fair kind of welfare should exist.

my preference would be to abolish the welfare state, but, admittedly, I see good ways of repairing/restyling our current welfare system;
1) banning benefits for people who immigrate here (e.g. they should come here taking a risk, not having more money as a certainty, e.g. getting benefits here will most definitely be more lucrative than working in their home countries). this includes immigrants paying insurance for healthcare. this isn't racism, nor is it xenophobia. it is discouraging people coming here to contribute to the unemployment/welfare demand situation. this will encourage good immigration, as opposed to low-skilled immigration. this would obviously be parallel to a points-based system, of course, after we leave the EU, and also getting rid of the translators industry that is funded by the state
2) food stamps to replace monetary payments of benefits unless it is not possible to do so
3) having loans as opposed to welfare/benefits payments for job seekers so that it should be given only to those that will have a good chance of being able to pay it back slowly over time, like the current tuition system
4) when young adults can't find a house, they should be told to live with their parents, as opposed to getting a council house/rent help
5) having self-induced injuries/diseases etc not being covered by the NHS, including cigarette/alcohol addictions, sports-related injuries, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply