The Student Room Group

Does HE access guarantee UNIVERSITY PLACES?

Some lady I spoke to said it doesnt gaurentee uni places so why do this 1 year course?
It is possible to get an offer from most of the universities by taking the Access course. However, it is not 100% guaranteed that you will get a place even if you get Distinctions. This is because some of the universities are more competitive than others and they will look at how you have set out your personal statement and if you have any relevant experience to the Degree. This could be voluntary work or a paid job.

I have also heard that not all of the Universities accept the Access course. It is best to check on the university website before you apply.

I had a conditional offer from Bournemouth University with mainly Merits.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
No-one is GUARANTEED a place at University.

Universities need to read your Personal Statement (why you want to do this subject, and why you want to study for a degree), read the academic reference from a current teacher, see you predicted exam scores and look at your overall profile.

And if you apply in the same year as you are completing an Access course, then any University that does make you an offer will make it Conditional on a specific graded result from that course.
Reply 3
Original post by SlaveEarth
Some lady I spoke to said it doesnt gaurentee uni places so why do this 1 year course?

Of course there's no guarantee! Usually people do the course because they don't have the relevant GCSEs or A'levels asked for and it is easier for a mature student who may have other commitments to do a one year intensive course to get a recognised qualification than trying to do GCSEs and/or A'levels.
Reply 4
thanks
Nothing guarantees a place at Uni, not A Levels nor Access Courses, you need a good reference and personal statement too.
You aren't going to get a different answer to this question.

From other posts on TSR its clear you think you can get into a Foundation course at Uni with just GCSEs and don't want to hear otherwise. You have asked a question here and apparently dont like this answer either. The answer won't change however many times you ask it - an Access course does not 'guarantee' you a University place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Most SWAP access courses guarantee you a place in higher education but that could be a HNC, HND or Degree it depends on your own ability and if you pass every unit of the access course.
I just finished an access course and am starting university in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I have just completed my access course and I would say about half the people on my course won't be going to uni this year.

Each uni will make an offer with grades you're expected to get. Your offer depends on the uni and the course... some uni's and courses may just want you to pass the access course, another uni may want distinctions throughout.
Original post by returnmigrant
No-one is GUARANTEED a place at University.

Universities need to read your Personal Statement (why you want to do this subject, and why you want to study for a degree), read the academic reference from a current teacher, see you predicted exam scores and look at your overall profile.

And if you apply in the same year as you are completing an Access course, then any University that does make you an offer will make it Conditional on a specific graded result from that course.

I understand what you're saying, but I think his real question is: Will unis even consider his application? HE Access courses may not be considered as 'acceptable qualifications' at some unis, so even if he graduates at the top of his cohort, he may still not be considered for a place(i.e. his application will not even be looked at). In this case, the appropriate course of action to take would be to check with the individual unis OP is interested in to see if they accept HE access courses as Pre-U qualifications.
Reply 10
Original post by 1drowssap
I understand what you're saying, but I think his real question is: Will unis even consider his application? HE Access courses may not be considered as 'acceptable qualifications' at some unis, so even if he graduates at the top of his cohort, he may still not be considered for a place(i.e. his application will not even be looked at). In this case, the appropriate course of action to take would be to check with the individual unis OP is interested in to see if they accept HE access courses as Pre-U qualifications.

Access courses are specifically designed to provide university entry qualification/preparation for those who have either been out of education for some time, or who missed A levels. Whilst they're not necessarily accepted for all courses at all unis, the majority of them are hapoy to give conditional offers on future Access results. Worth checking for sure, but it's by no means a bleak prospect. We have one TSR member who currently holds an offer from Cambridge based on their Access results.

And the original question is very specifically about a place - not an offer - being guaranteed. No qualification will give you that on its own. In addition to Access results for those who go that route, you need to have a good Personal Statement and reference. Sometimes practical or professional experience of the degree field is helpful as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi I have an entrance exam with KCC this Tuesday for HE Access Humanties.
I've been out of education for 6 years.
Please could anyone suggest any tests or study to prepare for the assessment or what I should expect?
Any web addresses that have helped you would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to get rejected. I need to be on the course to get into Sussex Uni by Sept 2015.

All the best, DD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending