The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
I have to agree with colourtheory, the "Oxford looks lots at GCSE results" is a myth. There are a few cases where GCSEs are important, for very popular courses (particularly for Medicine). But Oriental Studies interviews 86% of candidates, in other words they interview practically everyone who makes a serious application. (I suspect many of the 14% they don't interview are people who have done badly on the aptitude test, for the courses that have an aptitude test, which Japanese currently doesn't.)

The key thing for you is to work out which universities have the courses best suited to you. The college thing is a bit sad, but it's not the end of the world - remember that 25% of Oxbridge students are at a college they didn't initially apply to (and near enough all love their college).

Thanks. I go to a good school so I don't think I'll do that great in comparison to other people, but who knows. I'm sure I'll be happy wherever I end up, Oxbridge or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pars12
GCSEs are accurate evidence of academic achievement. The problem is that everybody's situation is slightly different - school attended, home environment, illnesses, etc - so they are not necessarily a foolproof measure of academic ability. In most cases the results need to be "interpreted".

Both Oxford and Cambridge run interviews. There is a reason for that. Both Oxford and Cambridge also run extra (but different) tests.

Astro has pointed out that it it is a myth that Cambridge does not look at GCSEs. Nulli tertius has pointed out that it is a competition and the sheer numbers of bright people will make it a lottery.

They look at as many as they have time for - about 3 interviewees per place. That's the first hurdle. If you don't make that one there is a problem with your application - they didn't notice you.

It has also been said many times that the colleges are more similar than they are different. It would be far better for you to investigate the tutors, because they are the ones who will really make a difference in a tutorial system. Not sure if they have a league table ...

I also wonder, Edminzodo, if it's a bit early to have set your heart on Oxbridge before your GCSE results are in. My son has results due in August and anything related to GCSEs is off-limits for discussion.

I don't have my heart set on Oxbridge. I'd love to go there, but I don't think I'm intelligent enough, and I would be happy just to go to university, as I'd be the first in my family. So wherever I go, I'm setting the bar.

Without being rude, that sounds a bit harsh on your son. It's natural to want to talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Edminzodo
I don't have my heart set on Oxbridge. I'd love to go there, but I don't think I'm intelligent enough, and I would be happy just to go to university, as I'd be the first in my family. So wherever I go, I'm setting the bar.

Without being rude, that sounds a bit harsh on your son. It's natural to want to talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where you rank in your year is often a pretty good indication of "Oxbridge material", if you don't compete with the top students in your year, then it's unlikely you'd do well at either Oxford or Cambridge, where your competition will generally be of at least the same ability level as the top students in your school year, without a ridiculous amount of hard work.
Original post by Noble.
Where you rank in your year is often a pretty good indication of "Oxbridge material", if you don't compete with the top students in your year, then it's unlikely you'd do well at either Oxford or Cambridge, where your competition will generally be of at least the same ability level as the top students in your school year, without a ridiculous amount of hard work.

Will they take into account the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome and that I struggle with subjects I am not interested in? So in the subjects I am interested in, I excel in them, but struggle with the rest? I know Oxbridge, and Cambridge especially, have great help for AS students, which is partly why I would like to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Will they take into account the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome and that I struggle with subjects I am not interested in? So in the subjects I am interested in, I excel in them, but struggle with the rest? I know Oxbridge, and Cambridge especially, have great help for AS students, which is partly why I would like to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably will take into account the fact you have Asperger's, however you seem to be under the impression that you will find every module at university interesting, you won't. I was pretty much under the same impression leaving GCSE, I thought that as I progressed from GCSE to A-Level and then onto University the number of modules I disliked, and weren't interested in, would get fewer and fewer. It certainly does at A-Level, but it returns at the undergraduate level (for mathematics at least) and it's exacerbated by the fact that the modules are a hell of a lot more challenging.
Original post by Noble.
They probably will take into account the fact you have Asperger's, however you seem to be under the impression that you will find every module at university interesting, you won't. I was pretty much under the same impression leaving GCSE, I thought that as I progressed from GCSE to A-Level and then onto University the number of modules I disliked, and weren't interested in, would get fewer and fewer. It certainly does at A-Level, but it returns at the undergraduate level (for mathematics at least) and it's exacerbated by the fact that the modules are a hell of a lot more challenging.

I understand that, but I thought that you can pick some of your modules, so then I would pick one I was interested in? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
I understand that, but I thought that you can pick some of your modules, so then I would pick one I was interested in? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, but I don't know anyone who, even after picking their modules, thoroughly enjoyed every one of them :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Of course, but I don't know anyone who, even after picking their modules, thoroughly enjoyed every one of them :lol:

Ah, that sucks. Oh well - I can dream!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I don't have my heart set on Oxbridge.

Can't think where I got that one from.

I'd love to go there, but I don't think I'm intelligent enough
That's a worse problem than not actually being intelligent enough

I would be happy just to go to university, as I'd be the first in my family.
Me too, but I think there is an awful lot of people that can claim this.

That's a bad way to start a sentence. It means "I am about to be rude now". You could have left the phrase out and I would not have been offended. However, I'm flattered you think that I make up the rules. I spend large amounts of time thinking about it but a promise is a promise.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted GCSE grades: A*AAAAABBBC (no chance with those gcse's, but I will be retaking & i probably wont apply, but its nice to be on the thread anyway as there is a very little chance)
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Economics
Course: Medicine
College: Not really looked into any yettt
Reply 30
After visiting Oxford uni and town a few times on school trips I've absolutely fallen in live with the place, in my opinion cambridge offers no competition

Predicted GCSE grades: 8A*s 3As and an A in as maths

A-Levels: biology, chemistry, maths, psychology and critical thinking or general studies (I'm also thinking of further maths but I'm not sure)

Course: Medicine (predictable)

College: Worcester <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Oh, and another thought, can I ask what you guys are doing in the way of work experience, and does anyone know how important it is to the uni? I mean I assume it varies depending on the course but a guideline would be nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I was wondering if anyone is going to be sitting the elat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicted GCSEs: 5 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs
A Levels: English Literature, French, Geography, Government & Politics
Course: Law
College: No idea :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Noble.

With all due respect to Oriental Studies, I don't think this is necessarily true for that or other niche subjects.
Reply 35
Original post by ClickItBack
With all due respect to Oriental Studies, I don't think this is necessarily true for that or other niche subjects.

Yeah, I agree.
Original post by ClickItBack

Original post by Noble.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm starting to agree with this. Anyway, that's better for me! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I was wondering if anyone is going to be sitting the elat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that for English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that for English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh its for anyone doing english lit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
Yh its for anyone doing english lit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought so. I used to want to do English. Then I changed my mind to History. Then Linguistics. Then Psychology. Then PPE. Then English and History. Then History and Economics. Then Economics and Japanese. I've finally settled on Japanese!

Edit: I've changed my mind again . . . I went from Japanese to History to Archaeology to Engineering with a Foundation Year to Egyptology. To be honest, I wanted to do Archaeology and Egyptology when I was four, so I'm back to square one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending