The Student Room Group

Going from Quant to International Private Equity (PE)?

Hey I am currently in University studying Mathematics.

How would one transition into becoming a Quant, is it just Masters in Financial Mathematics + potentially PHD in Europe/US?

What is the job security like for Quants and Buldge Brackets compared to other jobs?

Also could you transition from a Quant or HF based Hedge Fund into Private Equity long term?
Reply 1
Original post by DreamCrusher

How would one transition into becoming a Quant, is it just Masters in Financial Mathematics + potentially PHD in Europe/US?

What is the job security like for Quants and Buldge Brackets compared to other jobs?

Also could you transition from a Quant or HF based Hedge Fund into Private Equity long term?

Are you looking for quant positions in HFs/BBs/prop shops? Do you go to a target? How long from graduation?

An MFE is usually a requirement, yes, but some places hire straight from ugrad (if you are really good it's possible). I'd recommend you see quantnet.com, those guys will gear you up.

From quant to pe? wtf, no offense but I'd also recommend doing some read first
Reply 2

Are you looking for quant positions in HFs/BBs/prop shops? Do you go to a target? How long from graduation?

An MFE is usually a requirement, yes, but some places hire straight from ugrad (if you are really good it's possible). I'd recommend you see quantnet.com, those guys will gear you up.

From quantitative trading to pe? wtf, no offense but I'd also recommend doing some read first
Original post by Szmessh

From quantitative trading to pe? wtf, no offense but I'd also recommend doing some read first

Depends on whether I do a Masters and year in industry. ATM 2016, currently considering applying to Goldmans, JP Morgan etc in an IT/Tech role. Doing a joint degree with Comp Sci. So potentially 2017-2018.

What would you recommend then because the goal would be PE in an emerging market? But I don't want to waste my Math/Comp Sci skills. That is my main fear.

Are there any other options that may be better for me?

Thank you for your response highly appreciated
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Depends on whether I do a Masters and year in industry. ATM 2016, currently considering applying to Goldmans, JP Morgan etc in an IT/Tech role. Doing a joint degree with Comp Sci. So potentially 2017-2018.

What would you recommend then because the goal would be PE in an emerging market? But I don't want to waste my Math/Comp Sci skills. That is my main fear.

Are there any other options that may be better for me?

Thank you for your response highly appreciated

Doing a year placement in industry is basically one year wasted IMO. That's mostly BO-MO and that's more or less far from quant positions at banks/hfs/props.

Let me get this straight: you are going to apply for quant positions just because you don't want your highly technical background go into waste (what kind of argument is that for choosing a career), but otherwise this is PE what you would really want to do.

So again, if this is PE what you really want to do, go into investment banking (and not quantitative trading..) and then after spending two years of quite hard work there, you will be on track on landing your dream gig.

I am guessing though you didn't do too much research on these roles - do it asap, the sooner you figure out what you want to do the better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Szmessh
Doing a year placement in industry is basically one year wasted IMO. That's mostly BO-MO and that's quite far from quant positions at banks.

Let me get this straight: you are going to apply for quant positions just because you don't want your highly technical background go into waste (what kind of argument is that for choosing a career), but otherwise this is PE what you would really want to do.

So again, if this is PE what you really want to do, go into investment banking (and not quantitative trading..) and then after spending two years of quite hard work there, you will be on track on landing your dream gig.

I am guessing though you didn't do too much research on these roles - do it asap, the sooner you figure out what you want to do the better.

Everything I've done has been Tech based over the last 3-4 years. But recently I did an internship v M&A focussed which really changed everything, and became aware of my core skill-sets.

I'm still in the early stages of researching. PE is what I should go for then - what type of Masters would be most beneficial for PE do you think?

So instead of a year in industry should I focus on just trying to get a Summer Internship instead or should getting a 1st be my highest priority?

Thank you
Reply 6

I'm still in the early stages of researching. PE is what I should go for then

Again, you are still in the early stages of researching but you have already decided PE is what you should go for? This is not the way to go man - the fact that you thought being a quant comes with an exit opp to PE reveals you really don't have an idea about the different roles.

I'm still in the early stages of researching. PE is what I should go for then - what type of Masters would be most beneficial for PE do you think?

This question proves the above point. A masters is not required at all to get your foot into the door. The usual/best route to PE is to spend two years as a banker at a BB and then as an exit opp go off to PE.

Anyway, you could capitalize on your technical background to some extent in banking as well. I'm not sure but perhaps it's the TMT group which is somewhat relevant?

So instead of a year in industry should I focus on just trying to get a Summer Internship instead or should getting a 1st be my highest priority?

Not sure if srs, do your research man. 2:1 is the minimum you should get, and yes, landing a summer internship will be a very crucial step.

Why don't just go into tech? Why bother with these, if you'd really have a big interest for it, no offense, I guess you'd have already figured out these by yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Szmessh
Again, you are still in the early stages of researching but you have already decided PE is what you should go for? This is not the way to go man - the fact that you thought being a quant comes with an exit opp to PE reveals you really don't have an idea about the different roles.

This question proves the above point. A masters is not required at all to get your foot into the door. The usual/best route to PE is to spend two years as a banker at a BB and then as an exit opp go off to PE.

Anyway, you could capitalize on your technical background to some extent in banking as well. I'm not sure but perhaps it's the TMT group which is somewhat relevant?

Not sure if srs, do your research man. 2:1 is the minimum you should get, and yes, landing a summer internship will be a very crucial step.

Why don't just go into tech? Why bother with these, if you'd really have a big interest for it, no offense, I guess you'd have already figured out these by yourself?

I know that I am I am just asking questions, no need to be come off as a jerk....There is a need to prioritise on certain tasks as opposed to others. There are some trade-offs doing some tasks as opposed to others. Time is not infinite.

You mentioned not doing a year in industry hence why I am asking basic questions as to know where to allocate my time.... jeez :/ :/

And I see higher monetary/career/social impact returns in emerging markets PE which invest heavily in media and telecoms (will have to PM you to give several research case studies if you want evidence) as opposed to a various large Tech Firms I have worked for internationally that have a very small % of their business profits in the specific countries/emerging markets (that I wish to enter) contrasted with some Banks and PE Firms.
Reply 8
I know that I am I am just asking questions, no need to be come off as a jerk....There is a need to prioritise on certain tasks as opposed to others. There are some trade-offs doing some tasks as opposed to others. Time is not infinite.

You mentioned not doing a year in industry hence why I am asking basic questions as to know where to allocate my time.... jeez :/ :/

And I see higher monetary/career/social impact returns in emerging markets PE which invest heavily in media and telecoms (will have to PM you to give several research case studies if you want evidence) as opposed to a various large Tech Firms I have worked for internationally that have a very small % of their business profits in the specific countries/emerging markets (that I wish to enter) contrasted with some Banks and PE Firms.

You won't cut it in PE if u let that douche bag get under your skin so easily, fyi the majority of people on this board are like that, probs comes with the ultra-competitive/elitist nature of a lot of aspiring ibankers/traders, so don't sweat it
Original post by Mr Chang
You won't cut it in PE if u let that douche bag get under your skin so easily, fyi the majority of people on this board are like that, probs comes with the ultra-competitive/elitist nature of a lot of aspiring ibankers/traders, so don't sweat it

Oh I see okay its a very different culture then! I'll have to adapt v v quickly.

Thanks for the helpful comments though - Really appreciate it!
Reply 10

You are asking questions which take minutes to figure out the answer for if you did at least a bit of (even in the very early stages) research. Instead it was just more comfortable for you to come here right away and ask stuff behind the assumptions that PE and quantitative trading is related, and that whether getting a 1st at the end of your degree or landing a summer internship would be more important. And now you feel offended on the constructive criticism I gave you. I mean WTF. not the way to go man..
What exactly is the point of asking a question you don't understand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending