The Student Room Group

Cleaning up social media before applying for internships/grad jobs

I'm going to spend a bit of time this summer cleaning up my social media image, specifically facebook and twitter.

I know the golden rule is not to say anything illegal or offensive (racist, homophobic etc) but are there any other little quirks to avoid nosy employers blacklisting you if they find your social media account?

Scroll to see replies

Most employers appreciate you have a social life and you are right to go back and check what's been out out there just to be sure. Have you checked your privacy settings too?
Original post by orange crush
I'm going to spend a bit of time this summer cleaning up my social media image, specifically facebook and twitter.

I know the golden rule is not to say anything illegal or offensive (racist, homophobic etc) but are there any other little quirks to avoid nosy employers blacklisting you if they find your social media account?

Make all settings on Facebook 'friends only' and make your Twitter private. Problem solved in 5 seconds.
Reply 3
Original post by sr90
Make all settings on Facebook 'friends only' and make your Twitter private. Problem solved in 5 seconds.

I've heard that they prefer to see some sort of online presence just so they know you aren't some sort of recluse.
Original post by ElChapo
I've heard that they prefer to see some sort of online presence just so they know you aren't some sort of recluse.

You can still see someones profile, you just can't see the content.
As an HR Administrator who hires casual workers as well, I have never actually looked anyone up on facebook.. just saying :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pop_tart
As an HR Administrator who hires casual workers as well, I have never actually looked anyone up on facebook.. just saying :smile:

Some of the big firms have admitted to doing this. Not worth risking your chances over some silly posts
Original post by ElChapo
Some of the big firms have admitted to doing this. Not worth risking your chances over some silly posts

Oh I know it does happen and no absolutely not - I would definitely advise to set all social media to private to make sure people can only see what you want them to see. You'll mainly see this in the private sector :smile:
Just after I applied for an internship I got a mysterious friend request on Facebook. I panicked and thought "THEY'RE CHECKING ME OUT OH JESUS" and while it's not filled with offensive content, I deleted anything even slightly questionable because I am supa paranoid. I don't know if they were anything to do with the internship or not but now my profile is prepared :cool:
It shouldn't take long though, you say you'll take time this summer but you could do it right now.

EDIT: I've noticed, perhaps coincidentally, that now I have gotten the internship, the mysterious friend has disappeared from my Facebook friends....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sliceofcake
Just after I applied for an internship I got a mysterious friend request on Facebook. I panicked and thought "THEY'RE CHECKING ME OUT OH JESUS" and while it's not filled with offensive content, I deleted anything even slightly questionable because I am supa paranoid. I don't know if they were anything to do with the internship or not but now my profile is prepared :cool:
It shouldn't take long though, you say you'll take time this summer but you could do it right now.

EDIT: I've noticed, perhaps coincidentally, that now I have gotten the internship, the mysterious friend has disappeared from my Facebook friends....

Why did you accept a request from a "mysterious" person?
Original post by sliceofcake

That's interesting, but very weird!

I wonder why employers would even care, to be honest. If I was employing someone, I can't see why I'd be interested in their Facebook tbh.
Set up a LinkedIn profile, as Google tends to place that as a higher priority in search results than social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook - which you should set to private.
Original post by Hedgeman49
Why did you accept a request from a "mysterious" person?

I initially didn't, but then the account added another person I knew, so I decided to add them so I could send them a message asking if I knew them. She never replied.
Original post by Smack
Set up a LinkedIn profile, as Google tends to place that as a higher priority in search results than social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook - which you should set to private.

My Facebook is already private but I don't really want to privatise my twitter because then I can't be yielding retweets left right and centre and protecting my 3:1 followers:following ratio, so I'd rather just look like an all round good guy on a public twitter :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
That's interesting, but very weird!

I wonder why employers would even care, to be honest. If I was employing someone, I can't see why I'd be interested in their Facebook tbh.

At where I'm training they know clients Google us so they'll make damn sure when they do we don't have anything offputting on fb/twitter/instagram/whatever.
Reply 15
Original post by ElChapo

Hm Imagine if you don't have a twitter , Facebook and Instagram what is the likely response of HR ? I'm guessing they feel you are a loner. I used to have fb but deactivated it ages ago. I don't know if when I apply I should just activate it so it seems like I do use social networking
(edited 9 years ago)
Make sure everything you say is positive. Don't ever say something negative!!
Make sure you clean everything up or close it down.

My "friend" lost a internship job offer because he trolled on twitter for a few months when he was 16.
Both of the companies I've worked for have admitted looking me up. It happens.
Original post by Le Nombre
At where I'm training they know clients Google us so they'll make damn sure when they do we don't have anything offputting on fb/twitter/instagram/whatever.

What is their definition of offputting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending