The Student Room Group

History/French/Physics/Eng Lit/Economics A level (students) HELP!!!!

Hey! Cut a long story short; I planned on taking triple science and maths for my A-Levels and basically I have a grudge for physics. I either have the option of History, French or Physics!! I would like to know (people who took these a levels would help) what exam board you done for the subject you studied from the following above, how you found it in difficulty, what you done, a rate /10 for remembering things (1 being the easiest for remembering and 10 for the hardest for remembering) and anymore information you can possibly give. It would also be nice if you could elaborate with full long detail? :smile:

I also put down English Literature and Economics because I know universities also respect this as well in their A2 list of generally suitable A-Levels and I think they sound interesting so I'd you could also do the following above for the questions I asked that would be lovely!

Remember- you only need to explain what you took because obviously you know about the detail of that course, not the rest!

Thanks for reading and I hope you can reply!!:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Triple science and physics sounds like a lot to work... too much! I'm about to go into my 2nd year of 6th form in September. For the past year, I studied French, History, Biology and English Lit.

French is a lot of hard work, especially if learning new languages doesn't come easy to you like me. (so remembering things was extremely hard for me) The AQA French AS course consists of a written exam (3 parts, listening, reading (very much like comprehension) and writing (have to write a mini essay). There a 4 main topics you have to learn - media (e.g. television, advertising and communication technology) popular culture (cinema, music and fashion) family (relationship, friends, marriage) and finally healthy lifestyle (sport, diet, holidays). In a way if you really learn the material before exam, you will be able to string a load of sentences together for the essay and you will learn sentences fillers to pack out your answer like 'personally, I believe that it is very important because...". There's also a speaking but I havn't done that yet as my school messed up the course so we are behind.

History I loved. It is a very heavy and challenging subject as there is lots of info to learn and revise. I cant remember what exam board it was, but we did 4 topics for AS. I had two exams, the 1st - Martin Luther King and Stalin's Russia the 2nd - Poverty and Public Health. I hated doing Stalin but I think everyone comes across something in their subjects that they don't like doing. It's a lot of writing but its fact, learn the facts and then you can piece them together to form an essay. I think you need to be truly interested in history to choose. Remembering things, id give 4 - lots of dates!)

English Lit I loved also. You don't need to be a passionate reader just open minded. Its not an easy subject and lots of writing like history. It not like other subjects where you learn all the facts as English lit is about personal interpretation among other things.

Hope this helps :smile: any more questions feel free to ask
Original post by Gunni098
Hey! Cut a long story short; I planned on taking triple science and maths for my A-Levels and basically I have a grudge for physics. I either have the option of History, French or Physics!! I would like to know (people who took these a levels would help) what exam board you done for the subject you studied from the following above, how you found it in difficulty, what you done, a rate /10 for remembering things (1 being the easiest for remembering and 10 for the hardest for remembering) and anymore information you can possibly give. It would also be nice if you could elaborate with full long detail? :smile:

I also put down English Literature and Economics because I know universities also respect this as well in their A2 list of generally suitable A-Levels and I think they sound interesting so I'd you could also do the following above for the questions I asked that would be lovely!

Remember- you only need to explain what you took because obviously you know about the detail of that course, not the rest!

If you're competent in maths then it's piss easy. As long as you practice most days then things just stick in your head and there isn't much to remember, since all questions are similar.

Economics A level is easy only if you're willing to learn and become interested in current global economics. If it's something you're not interested in, then chances are you'll really struggle. The concepts you'll meet aren't too taxing, but you have to be able to understand rather than learn, so in that sense if you understand it then you don't have to spend much time on it. If you can hold a conversation about economics and argue a view point then you'll be fine.
Reply 3
I do both french and history! French AS is definitely more about knowing set expressions and grammar, instead of writing opinions like GCSE! You do topics such as publicity, healthy living, relationships, media etc which have around 3 sub topics inside of them! However, i hated history! I found it extremely difficult and my teachers were useless!
I studied English Literature, AQA A. AS year: WW1 Literature. Exam was Wider Reading, based on unseen non-fiction extract. Students are required to read widely from all genres including prose, drama and poetry. So basically, we picked our own text, remembered quotes from it and use it in the exam to help us illuminate the understanding and importance of that extract and WW1 Literature as a whole. For coursework, we did one prose essay: Birdsong and another coursework, comparing two plays: Not About Heroes and Journey' End.

A2: Love Through the Ages. Exam was the same as AS, but theme was anything about love from the 13th century onwards. Love could be from, familial love, maternal love, same-sex love, patriarchy, illicit love, etc. For coursework was based on Love. Most people picked the destructive nature of love. However, I picked Morality. We studied Wuthering Heights, Othello and Enduring Love. However we could pick texts if we wanted to. I detested Wuthering Heights, so I decided to pick Dorian Gray instead as it's one of my favourite novels!

In terms of difficulty, I would say 7. Advice, make sure you enjoy Literature as a whole. It's okay to not enjoy particular texts. But you must enjoy reading and being open to alternative opinions.
Reply 5
[
Original post by ElleM1407
Hi! Triple science and physics sounds like a lot to work... too much! I'm about to go into my 2nd year of 6th form in September. For the past year, I studied French, History, Biology and English Lit.

French is a lot of hard work, especially if learning new languages doesn't come easy to you like me. (so remembering things was extremely hard for me) The AQA French AS course consists of a written exam (3 parts, listening, reading (very much like comprehension) and writing (have to write a mini essay). There a 4 main topics you have to learn - media (e.g. television, advertising and communication technology) popular culture (cinema, music and fashion) family (relationship, friends, marriage) and finally healthy lifestyle (sport, diet, holidays). In a way if you really learn the material before exam, you will be able to string a load of sentences together for the essay and you will learn sentences fillers to pack out your answer like 'personally, I believe that it is very important because...". There's also a speaking but I havn't done that yet as my school messed up the course so we are behind.

History I loved. It is a very heavy and challenging subject as there is lots of info to learn and revise. I cant remember what exam board it was, but we did 4 topics for AS. I had two exams, the 1st - Martin Luther King and Stalin's Russia the 2nd - Poverty and Public Health. I hated doing Stalin but I think everyone comes across something in their subjects that they don't like doing. It's a lot of writing but its fact, learn the facts and then you can piece them together to form an essay. I think you need to be truly interested in history to choose. Remembering things, id give 4 - lots of dates!)

English Lit I loved also. You don't need to be a passionate reader just open minded. Its not an easy subject and lots of writing like history. It not like other subjects where you learn all the facts as English lit is about personal interpretation among other things.

Hope this helps :smile: any more questions feel free to ask

The exam board for French is the same as the sixth form I have a guaranteed place in! If I do take French what techniques do you recommend to remember things, at GCSE atm we done 2 oral exams and a written for the reals and the written .. Wellll.. Let's say er the dictionary was used a little... Maybe a lot xD the oral was pimp but I haven't had my results back yet till September!!

I do love history tbh. Vietnam is boring as f*ck but m&t and Germany is easy as hell and enjoyable for GCSE atm but I'm worried it won't be interesting at as level :/

I have drastically improved in English with A\A*s but the teacher we had made me hate English so I dunno if I'll be bored at as level English because the teacher ruined my experience :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mike_123
If you're competent in maths then it's piss easy. As long as you practice most days then things just stick in your head and there isn't much to remember, since all questions are similar.

Economics A level is easy only if you're willing to learn and become interested in current global economics. If it's something you're not interested in, then chances are you'll really struggle. The concepts you'll meet aren't too taxing, but you have to be able to understand rather than learn, so in that sense if you understand it then you don't have to spend much time on it. If you can hold a conversation about economics and argue a view point then you'll be fine.

The thing is with physics the whole core topics apart from the sun/universe was **** boring. In additional science the nuclear and electricity crap was even more boring. Electron this atom that like seriously. I dread for further additional!

Yeah I'm sure I won't like economics because I prefer learning. Thanks! Made life easier haha :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by amejv
I do both french and history! French AS is definitely more about knowing set expressions and grammar, instead of writing opinions like GCSE! You do topics such as publicity, healthy living, relationships, media etc which have around 3 sub topics inside of them! However, i hated history! I found it extremely difficult and my teachers were useless!

I find history interesting but when it comes to America its not as intreaging. My history teacher is so funny xD
Reply 8
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I studied English Literature, AQA A. AS year: WW1 Literature. Exam was Wider Reading, based on unseen non-fiction extract. Students are required to read widely from all genres including prose, drama and poetry. So basically, we picked our own text, remembered quotes from it and use it in the exam to help us illuminate the understanding and importance of that extract and WW1 Literature as a whole. For coursework, we did one prose essay: Birdsong and another coursework, comparing two plays: Not About Heroes and Journey' End.

A2: Love Through the Ages. Exam was the same as AS, but theme was anything about love from the 13th century onwards. Love could be from, familial love, maternal love, same-sex love, patriarchy, illicit love, etc. For coursework was based on Love. Most people picked the destructive nature of love. However, I picked Morality. We studied Wuthering Heights, Othello and Enduring Love. However we could pick texts if we wanted to. I detested Wuthering Heights, so I decided to pick Dorian Gray instead as it's one of my favourite novels!

In terms of difficulty, I would say 7. Advice, make sure you enjoy Literature as a whole. It's okay to not enjoy particular texts. But you must enjoy reading and being open to alternative opinions.

I think my English teacher ruined my joy for English because every lesson I dread it because that teacher is such a d*ck head its unreal! Ruined the joy :frown: would you think I would be suitable to take it? I have dramatically improved at English more literature than language with A/A*s whereas in year 8\9 I stuck on C grades but even though he is far up his are he actually gets me top grades,
in gcse science, physics was my worst science. i was smoking chem/bio (getting A*'s and full UMS) but getting C's and B's in physics.

I wanted to study engineering/maths so i chose physics for a-level

I got an A in AS (270/300) and I'm sure I'd get an A overall, maybe even an A* if im lucky.

It was my hardest subject (out of maths/fm/history/physics) but if you put the work in its very rewarding, it opens up so many courses at uni (the various branches of engineering, physics) and is rated highly among unis.
[

The exam board for French is the same as the sixth form I have a guaranteed place in! If I do take French what techniques do you recommend to remember things, at GCSE atm we done 2 oral exams and a written for the reals and the written .. Wellll.. Let's say er the dictionary was used a little... Maybe a lot xD the oral was pimp but I haven't had my results back yet till September!!

I do love history tbh. Vietnam is boring as f*ck but m&t and Germany is easy as hell and enjoyable for GCSE atm but I'm worried it won't be interesting at as level :/

I have drastically improved in English with A\A*s but the teacher we had made me hate English so I dunno if I'll be bored at as level English because the teacher ruined my experience :frown:

As horrible as it sounds I had to write the sentences out over and over again for them to stick in my head! What really helps though is to have a friend that you can work with but joke around with as well and just keep saying the phrases to each other. It helps with the speaking as well.

Also use COLOURS! lots of colours! Learn to not rely on the dictionary as you can't turn to one in the AS exams! For this reason learn your connectives, basic sentence fillers and phrases - put them all of one piece of paper or something, colour really helped me! I'm meant to be preparing for the speaking over the 6 weeks and its basically a 15 min convo with your teacher, but its based on the stuff you have already learnt for the written exam.

With history, I did get bored sometimes but others I didn't. But in a way, I think once you get the hang of how to write an as level style essay, and you learn the facts, you can get a pass. Did you do medicine through time & American west at gcse?

Havnt you been given the option to take a subject for a couple of weeks in September, see what you think then you can either drop it or carry on? Do it with English. You need a good teacher as a lot of the time its them reading and giving you the notes for the book orally. Our teacher is just crazy so it breaks up the lesson if you can laugh and stuff.
I think my English teacher ruined my joy for English because every lesson I dread it because that teacher is such a d*ck head its unreal! Ruined the joy :frown: would you think I would be suitable to take it? I have dramatically improved at English more literature than language with A/A*s whereas in year 8\9 I stuck on C grades but even though he is far up his are he actually gets me top grades,

Well, I actually hated English until Year 11, when my class was so bad it had to be taken over. My Year 11 Eng teacher was amazing and inspired me to take English and become future English teacher. I hated my year 10 teacher, but if you can get passed it, you should be fine.

Also, I know for GCSE Set 1, my friend had a teacher that was a total bitch to the whole class. However, when my friend took Lit, the teacher was completely different and totally nice because they were A-level and she could "talk to them" as they were maturer. So perhaps the teacher is like yours? I doubt it though.
Any chance you know what teacher is more likely to teach AS Lit? If you do love reading, and want to understand the foundations of Literature at A-level take it. I do know that some teachers can ruin subjects. I dropped AS History because I just hated one of the teachers, we had constant arguing, I got sent out so many times - we literally just clashed beyond belief! So I was like, I am NOT spending another year with this woman!

Do not let a teacher put you off the subject you like! Could you perhaps ask your teacher on Results Day who's teaching. Just style it out as "Will I be having you?" or "do you teach AS lit?" or something like that. :P Lit is great, love it!
Reply 12
Original post by Kabulkid
in gcse science, physics was my worst science. i was smoking chem/bio (getting A*'s and full UMS) but getting C's and B's in physics.

I wanted to study engineering/maths so i chose physics for a-level

I got an A in AS (270/300) and I'm sure I'd get an A overall, maybe even an A* if im lucky.

It was my hardest subject (out of maths/fm/history/physics) but if you put the work in its very rewarding, it opens up so many courses at uni (the various branches of engineering, physics) and is rated highly among unis.

Physics has always been one of my weak subjects to be honest. In fact its my weakest! I'm just worried I won't like it at AS and even though I'm working hard in my GCSEs for physics but I find I don't enjoy the subject and I know I'll start slacking because I don't see the point. But I want to do so well so I can go to top universities but I just don't know. I know Oxbridge would love this but they only ask for 3 A-Levels but I think they ask to know the fourth AS you done. Do you know if universities ask about the fourth? I just don't want to mess up my education. Do you find the work load too much?
Reply 13
Original post by ElleM1407
As horrible as it sounds I had to write the sentences out over and over again for them to stick in my head! What really helps though is to have a friend that you can work with but joke around with as well and just keep saying the phrases to each other. It helps with the speaking as well.

Also use COLOURS! lots of colours! Learn to not rely on the dictionary as you can't turn to one in the AS exams! For this reason learn your connectives, basic sentence fillers and phrases - put them all of one piece of paper or something, colour really helped me! I'm meant to be preparing for the speaking over the 6 weeks and its basically a 15 min convo with your teacher, but its based on the stuff you have already learnt for the written exam.

With history, I did get bored sometimes but others I didn't. But in a way, I think once you get the hang of how to write an as level style essay, and you learn the facts, you can get a pass. Did you do medicine through time & American west at gcse?

Havnt you been given the option to take a subject for a couple of weeks in September, see what you think then you can either drop it or carry on? Do it with English. You need a good teacher as a lot of the time its them reading and giving you the notes for the book orally. Our teacher is just crazy so it breaks up the lesson if you can laugh and stuff.

Oh god xD I have memory deficiency problems and that dictionary is keeping my head just above water in French. I would like to take it but then again now learning you don't have the dictionary for the exams it's kind of putting me off! I use colours for revision at the moment and sometimes it doesn't work but some it does if you know what I mean?

For history medicine and treatment, we did something different we went through Greeks, Romans, medieval, industrial, 17th century to 21st century, pasteur with germ theory, DNA genes, pre history and many more. It was like a timeline of life progressing forwards all mainly to do with England but talks about important people who made discoveries which helped medicine, anatomy, technology and science ect. Like Hippocrates and theory of four humours and German called Koch who expanded Germ theory and so on.

If I'm honest I don't really feel up to doing the first few weeks because if I decide to change I don't want to catch up on any work I have missed!
Reply 14
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well, I actually hated English until Year 11, when my class was so bad it had to be taken over. My Year 11 Eng teacher was amazing and inspired me to take English and become future English teacher. I hated my year 10 teacher, but if you can get passed it, you should be fine.

Also, I know for GCSE Set 1, my friend had a teacher that was a total bitch to the whole class. However, when my friend took Lit, the teacher was completely different and totally nice because they were A-level and she could "talk to them" as they were maturer. So perhaps the teacher is like yours? I doubt it though.
Any chance you know what teacher is more likely to teach AS Lit? If you do love reading, and want to understand the foundations of Literature at A-level take it. I do know that some teachers can ruin subjects. I dropped AS History because I just hated one of the teachers, we had constant arguing, I got sent out so many times - we literally just clashed beyond belief! So I was like, I am NOT spending another year with this woman!

Do not let a teacher put you off the subject you like! Could you perhaps ask your teacher on Results Day who's teaching. Just style it out as "Will I be having you?" or "do you teach AS lit?" or something like that. :P Lit is great, love it!

Yeah I can't just assume all teachers will be like this though however I find I am not the only one though in English who is constantly having problems with this teacher e.g. he shouted at my friend because of the "way she holds her pen" its majorly ridiculous and childish. What do you do in English literature for AS? Like does it mainly consist of reading or something else? I know you explained what you done but how did you do it if that makes sense!:redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello :smile: I took History and French this year for AS!

The exam board for History for me was Edexcel (the options I took were Russia 1881-1924, Russia 1924-1953 and Change in Britain- media and popular culture). I found it to be interesting however a huge step up from GCSE in my opinion- you are expected to do so much more in your essays, and in the first year there is no coursework so all your marks are determined by only four essay questions (2 30 mark questions in the first paper and 1 20 and 1 40 mark question in the second, which are source based). I don't know which exam board you would be doing so sorry if this information isn't as relevant to you. I wrote notes after each topic to be used for revision material later and still found some of the information quite hard to remember- I'd give it a 7/10, obviously though it would vary. I got an A* at GCSE but felt constantly stressed out during AS and only managed to get Bs in my mocks. A lot of effort and consolidation is required in history, if I haven't made it clear enough. I'm actually dropping History at A2, but if you want to do it don't let me put you off.

I took AQA French, someone already has gone through the topics at AS so I won't go through them again. It does seem daunting to think that in the exam you need to write a 35 mark essay without a dictionary, however it will do at this stage because you haven't gone through the course yet or learnt any of the topics. The essay mark scheme is split into sections- 20 for overall content, 5 for grammar and spelling, 5 for range of vocabulary and 5 for variety of structures used, so that may make it seem less worrying. I'm sure by the time the exam comes you will be more than prepared to write an answer, and bear in mind that you get a choice of 3 questions, so just choose the one that is most appealing to you. I found speaking quite worrying as well as you have to speak for 15 minutes and it's spontaneous conversation, however the time goes by quickly and the examiner will interact with you as well, so it's not like you're just sitting there talking for the entire time. You'll also develop your speaking skills during the year so it will be easier for you to converse, even if you're like me and get really anxious during these exams. I enjoy French a lot and I think it's a good subject to take, just don't give up too early as it's normal to feel a bit daunted at first.

PS: Sorry for essay.
Reply 16
English literature AS (AQA B): I studied two comedic plays, two poets, one classic novel and one modern novel. The course is very interesting and allows you to be creative- I loved the coursework, and I learned so much more about literature, and enjoyed the holistic study of literature, rather than looking in texts in isolation. The exam was less enjoyable, simply because it was difficult and I didn't enjoy one of the poems (Rime of the Ancient Mariner). The technique is very specific and I managed to stress myself out, but the actual work is quite interesting. Step up from GCSE: At first, it's big, you'll get a big shock with your first coursework mark (I got an E, ended up with an A pending moderation.), but I don't think many have gone from A*/A at GCSE to D/E at AS Level.

History (Edexcel): I've loved history this year, but it's a lot of work! There are so many options: Colonialism, Early Modern Europe, Communism and Democracy, Fascism in Europe- I did Russian Revolution/Stalin's Russia, which was so interesting and while there's a lot to remember as long as you keep organised you'll be fine. For my source skills paper, I did Henry VIII, which was also quite interesting although there's some rather dry parts. The written work is a lot different and more complicated than GCSE, but you'll get used to it rather quickly.

I didn't study French, but I did Spanish which is exactly the same syllabus.

Spanish had the biggest step up of all my A-Levels, it's so much harder than GCSE but you can do well if you put a lot of effort into it. I would say that you shouldn't do it if you treat it as a fourth A-Level, prioritising other subjects or if you're not going to find it massively interesting, because not doing the work in a language means you're going to find it really interesting. Basically, do it if you're really interested in the language and you know you'll go th extra mile while learning vocab. If not, stay clear.

Workload /10:

English: 7
History: 8
Spanish: 9
Reply 17

What course do you want to do at university?

Economics is soul crushingly boring if you aren't that interested in it or hell bent on becoming an investment banker, but at the same time it's actually applicable to real life and what you see on the news. I did AQA AS; it wasn't very difficult but there's a lot of exam technique to learn. You have to remember a lot of definitions and some basic diagrams.

I did AQA History for about 3 months. Make sure you like the topics you'll study before you choose History is all I can say.

Physics AS was good, but I think A2 is a fair deal harder. I liked the quantum stuff, electricity was basically a recap of IGCSE physics, and we'd already done mechanics in maths. Materials and optics was :confused:.
I wouldn't do it if you don't like it, unless you really need it for uni. It's also nice to have variety in your A level subjects. That being said, the exam is very straightforward.

I didn't do French, but I did German and language A levels are pretty similar. I like languages so they're the most fun for me, but you need to learn more than you would in other A levels. Speaking exams vary by exam board but aren't too bad. It's not an easy choice by any means, but you get genuinely useful and employable language skills, so I'd recommend doing a language A level.
Reply 18
Original post by Claros
Hello :smile: I took History and French this year for AS!

The exam board for History for me was Edexcel (the options I took were Russia 1881-1924, Russia 1924-1953 and Change in Britain- media and popular culture). I found it to be interesting however a huge step up from GCSE in my opinion- you are expected to do so much more in your essays, and in the first year there is no coursework so all your marks are determined by only four essay questions (2 30 mark questions in the first paper and 1 20 and 1 40 mark question in the second, which are source based). I don't know which exam board you would be doing so sorry if this information isn't as relevant to you. I wrote notes after each topic to be used for revision material later and still found some of the information quite hard to remember- I'd give it a 7/10, obviously though it would vary. I got an A* at GCSE but felt constantly stressed out during AS and only managed to get Bs in my mocks. A lot of effort and consolidation is required in history, if I haven't made it clear enough. I'm actually dropping History at A2, but if you want to do it don't let me put you off.

I took AQA French, someone already has gone through the topics at AS so I won't go through them again. It does seem daunting to think that in the exam you need to write a 35 mark essay without a dictionary, however it will do at this stage because you haven't gone through the course yet or learnt any of the topics. The essay mark scheme is split into sections- 20 for overall content, 5 for grammar and spelling, 5 for range of vocabulary and 5 for variety of structures used, so that may make it seem less worrying. I'm sure by the time the exam comes you will be more than prepared to write an answer, and bear in mind that you get a choice of 3 questions, so just choose the one that is most appealing to you. I found speaking quite worrying as well as you have to speak for 15 minutes and it's spontaneous conversation, however the time goes by quickly and the examiner will interact with you as well, so it's not like you're just sitting there talking for the entire time. You'll also develop your speaking skills during the year so it will be easier for you to converse, even if you're like me and get really anxious during these exams. I enjoy French a lot and I think it's a good subject to take, just don't give up too early as it's normal to feel a bit daunted at first.

PS: Sorry for essay.

Don't be sorry for the essay I asked for it! :biggrin:

Thank you it is the same topics and exam board to which I would need to do next year. That's made me love history even more knowing there is no coursework because GCSE Vietnam coursework for history is so boring but the rest of the GCSE I loved! Also I planned to drop my fourth option to AS but I'm not sure, I'm more likely to though. I was concerned about having to remember things but in GCSE atm I've changed from struggling to enjoying and revising information is rather fine!

With French with what you explained its similar markingbsort sort of but its more complicated when. You went through the process. Its hard to choose between history and French! What do you think?:s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by jwf13
English literature AS (AQA B): I studied two comedic plays, two poets, one classic novel and one modern novel. The course is very interesting and allows you to be creative- I loved the coursework, and I learned so much more about literature, and enjoyed the holistic study of literature, rather than looking in texts in isolation. The exam was less enjoyable, simply because it was difficult and I didn't enjoy one of the poems (Rime of the Ancient Mariner). The technique is very specific and I managed to stress myself out, but the actual work is quite interesting. Step up from GCSE: At first, it's big, you'll get a big shock with your first coursework mark (I got an E, ended up with an A pending moderation.), but I don't think many have gone from A*/A at GCSE to D/E at AS Level.

History (Edexcel): I've loved history this year, but it's a lot of work! There are so many options: Colonialism, Early Modern Europe, Communism and Democracy, Fascism in Europe- I did Russian Revolution/Stalin's Russia, which was so interesting and while there's a lot to remember as long as you keep organised you'll be fine. For my source skills paper, I did Henry VIII, which was also quite interesting although there's some rather dry parts. The written work is a lot different and more complicated than GCSE, but you'll get used to it rather quickly.

I didn't study French, but I did Spanish which is exactly the same syllabus.

Spanish had the biggest step up of all my A-Levels, it's so much harder than GCSE but you can do well if you put a lot of effort into it. I would say that you shouldn't do it if you treat it as a fourth A-Level, prioritising other subjects or if you're not going to find it massively interesting, because not doing the work in a language means you're going to find it really interesting. Basically, do it if you're really interested in the language and you know you'll go th extra mile while learning vocab. If not, stay clear.

Workload /10:

English: 7
History: 8
Spanish: 9

Ahh! That made me really worry when you said you had an E! And from a previous person who explained about it I realised it is a lot of reading and I know myself with what I am like, I don't like reading but I like it when I feel like it! I only read when I really want to and when I want to I read really fast and really get into it but I am really fussy with books and genre!

What you done for history is what I would do if I chose history alevel! I am more towards taking history because I love it and I am over organised with that ppersonality trait I would find it easy! I'm so convinced taking it now!

I wanted to do Spanish at GCSE but there wasn't enough teachers there to do it I wish I could it for a level but I need the gvse , I love Spanish.

I take it every a level has a lot of workload then! Haha at least history is less than a language :smile: what do you think or recommend me taking as my fourth? From all the information above, :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest