The Student Room Group

Research paper... help!!!!

I've been given a re sit assignment to do that needs to consist of 2000 words. Except it isn't directly based on a subject, but rather the references at the end of the paper. I need to pick out ten references and discuss why they were most important to creating the paper. I'm already quite bad at writing research papers based on someone elses work as I constantly feel like Im restating what has already been said which causes me to worry about plagiarizing.

Does anyone have any input on how I can go about writing this paper or general tips on writing a solid research paper?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by zak90
I've been given a re sit assignment to do that needs to consist of 2000 words. Except it isn't directly based on a subject, but rather the references at the end of the paper. I need to pick out ten references and discuss why they were most important to creating the paper. I'm already quite bad at writing research papers based on someone elses work as I constantly feel like Im restating what has already been said which causes me to worry about plagiarizing.

Does anyone have any input on how I can go about writing this paper or general tips on writing a solid research paper?

This might just be me, but this doesn't seem too bad. BTW you are not writing a research paper, you are writing about a research paper. This would almost be like a review. Since you are DICUSSING and NOT DESCRIBING make sure you are analysing the sources.

The re-sit assignment is proving your ability to understand the nature of referencing and picking out the relevant literature that backs up the paper. That's all that referencing- back up your point/find information and acknowledgement of info that is not yours.

So I'd start of ignoring the word count. I have a feeling that is putting you off. When I was given word counts in my assignments I always left worrying about it till the end.

Next READ THE PAPER. Don't jump right in! Do you actually understand what the paper is about? Do you even know what the title is? Identify any words/jargon and make sure you understand it. Papers can be hard to fully understand, so in-depth knowledge is not needed, just enough to understand the material.

Read the paper? Good, you should have a clearer understanding. If not, don't panic. It might come together as you preform the task.

Now, after you put a clear title you should introduce your assignment I won't go into detail as it is your assignment. So info on the paper would go here. Then importance of referencing.

The meat of the assignment will be on the references you chose to look at. You will need to read the part the author referenced. That will take time in itself to find what was referenced. Remember, you do not need to describe as you are discussing why said reference was taken. How did it help form the argument in the paper?

Remember light introduction, analysis and then summery.

Good luck.

PS: Proof read afterwards :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending