The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StevieA
I'm sure some men can, the same way a white man ran the 100 in less than 10 s.... after 500 black guys did it before him. But I dream of a world where heterosexual equality is complete, much like it is in the gay men's world where sex is always free and on tap for pretty much every participant. I could post an online ad right now and have 5-10 gay men within a 5 mile area offer to suck me off within an hour, no charge or anything in return required. I could wait for 10 years and my ad would get no customers whatsoever if I specified women only. Why do you think women are so much different when it comes to such things?

If I put a photo of me on I could probably, my mates kindly set up a spoof PoF account for me and I got a fair number of messages of the filthy variety, don't think it's that imbalanced but maybe women round here are just keen.

Fair play, whatever floats your boat, though I think there are more pressing issues in the world than how easily we can get laid.
Original post by Pussy Galore
Because historically men had to protect women so female psychology evolved to sexually select for more dominant males who would be more likely to be able to care for and raise ospring.

Also when it comes to things such as social status and money (men tend to select for these traits less than women - you see lots of rich men/male celebrities 'dating down' in those respective categories) for the reasons above, also a women would have to be MORE wealthy or have more social status than a man for a male to be attracted to it and it cannot work both ways (one has to either be wealthier or have a higher social status for their to be attraction based on those categories)

This... :congrats:

To be honest, on TSR whenever the subject of 'looks' comes up, I always paste Buss' study on Human mate preference:

http://ewyner.com/psychology/Studies/Buss%20(1989).pdf
Atleast my AS in psychology is coming in handy.
Reply 42
We should be more worried about 12/13 year olds dressing up with mini skirts and crop tops and with so much make up they look 16.
Reply 43
Original post by EverybodyHertz
This... :congrats:

To be honest, on TSR whenever the subject of 'looks' comes up, I always paste Buss' study on Human mate preference:

http://ewyner.com/psychology/Studies/Buss%20(1989).pdf
Atleast my AS in psychology is coming in handy.

Wow a girl quoting a Buss study, feminists won't like this. I hope they won't kill your pet like they did with Erin Pizzey for suggesting men and women are different and men don't have some kind of ongoing conspiracy to oppress women.

Seriously, my heart jumps (don't know if that's a proper way to say it in english) when I see a woman make so much sense.
(edited 9 years ago)
you can have both a great personality and good looks ya know
Reply 45
Original post by blueskyblue
Blame guys :rolleyes:

The fashion world is made by women and run by women , its them who elect surreal and unusual models for girls to look up to , its them who bitch about women who have put on weight or lost it etc Girls are also very very bitchy and probably more critical about each other then guys would be to girls.

You also cant really complain about objectification and the media when every girl these days puts up the absolute best picture of themselves on social media , adds about ten filters , lighting , cleavage , duckface etc In reality they look nothing like this , they objectify themselves.

Ok, I can't disagree with you about the fashion world.

Read my second sentence :tongue:. Everything I say after that I mean for both genders - a lot of teenage girls/women do exactly the same to guys, however, just as not all guys are like that not all girls are either.

Not every girl is vain and tries hard to look sexy in their pictures on social media. I guess I can see where you are coming from but doesn't it just come back to why the girls who do this feel the need to.
Original post by StevieA
Wow a girl quoting a Buss study, feminists won't like this. I hope they won't kill your pet like they did with Erin Pizzey for suggesting men and women are different and men don't have some kind of ongoing conspiracy to oppress women.

Seriously, my heart jumps (don't know if that's a proper way to say it in english) when I see a woman make so much sense.

:zomg: am I meant to be scared? I'm not a feminist :frown: but men and women are different! If you call a guy fat they just laugh it off and but if you call a girl fat they go and get an eating disorder, well, from my experience anyway.
Original post by Danni_
Ok, I can't disagree with you about the fashion world.

Read my second sentence :tongue:. Everything I say after that I mean for both genders - a lot of teenage girls/women do exactly the same to guys, however, just as not all guys are like that not all girls are either.

Not every girl is vain and tries hard to look sexy in their pictures on social media. I guess I can see where you are coming from but doesn't it just come back to why the girls who do this feel the need to.

The socially competent ones do , most of them anyway.

I can only presume its because they are in need of validation as they are insecure due to feeling ugly compared to the celebrities they worship.
because without looks, you wouldn't even consider that person
Original post by xOHarriet
Because you can't change your personality like you can change your looks. You can't say "today I'm going to be confident and outgoing" like you can say "okay, I'm going to put on some fake eyelashes".

Sure you can... Takes a few years though.
Reply 50
The socially competent ones do , most of them anyway.

I can only presume its because they are in need of validation as they are insecure due to feeling ugly compared to the celebrities they worship.

True I guess. But the ones who try too hard to be sexy, rather than than just look nice, are usually the ones that go to parties every weekend and don't understand that it is possible to have fun without drinking - well from my experience anyway.So if by socially competent you mean they like parties and drinking then yeah I guess. Guys do the same thing - they want to look good in their pictures too.

Don't act like girls are the only ones that worship female celebrities and have unrealistic expectations...
Original post by Danni_
True I guess. But the ones who try too hard to be sexy, rather than than just look nice, are usually the ones that go to parties every weekend and don't understand that it is possible to have fun without drinking - well from my experience anyway.So if by socially competent you mean they like parties and drinking then yeah I guess. Guys do the same thing - they want to look good in their pictures too.

Don't act like girls are the only ones that worship female celebrities and have unrealistic expectations...

Thats true , though girls have their tabloids , gossip mags etc guys have their counterparts.

Even so i'd argue guys are more willing to get with a much wider scope of girls then a girl would.
Original post by TurboCretin
Sure you can... Takes a few years though.

But it doesn't take a few years to put on false eyelashes. That was my point.
Reply 53
Thats true , though girls have their tabloids , gossip mags etc guys have their counterparts.

Even so i'd argue guys are more willing to get with a much wider scope of girls then a girl would.

Depends on the guy, just like it depends on the girl. I've found that guys and girls can be just as bad as each other but I've never personally heard a guy say that he would get with a girl who wasn't considered "good looking" unless he was drunk. Maybe I just know all the wrong guys.

And guys don't just have their counterparts, they have the stuff on the internet too (don't know if I can write the word without getting reported) to help increase their unrealistic expectations.

Once I was having a conversation with another girl and a guy and they both said that they wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who wasn't 10/10 looks even if they had an ideal personality. They claimed that they could "get over" a bad personality and "work around it" just to be with someone who was extremely good looking. I think that's crazy.
Because pretty girl = healthy a more fit to bare children (subconsciously)
Original post by Danni_

Go to a club and hit on a guy. If your BMI is below 24 I bet you pull.
Original post by xOHarriet
But it doesn't take a few years to put on false eyelashes. That was my point.

Oh, well the personality equivalent of that is forcing yourself to be chatty and excitable for an evening, isn't it?
Original post by StevieA
Then why doesn't this apply to guys?

A man's social value is determined by wealth, power and fame.
Reply 58
Original post by TurboCretin
Go to a club and hit on a guy. If your BMI is below 24 I bet you pull.

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to test that theory :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
they learn it from their mothers, same as boys learn from their fathers not to care about their looks

Latest

Trending

Trending