The Student Room Group

How to improve my really poor flexibility

My flexibility is really bad. For example I can't stand up and touch my toes. I tried this sit and reach test:

I can't get my hands anywhere near the base of my feet. I tried doing this test too:

My hands were several inches apart and I couldn't get them to touch.

I also have real difficulty being able to squat properly, probably due to my lack of flexibility.

Is there any way to improve my flexibility?
Original post by snowman77
My flexibility is really bad. For example I can't stand up and touch my toes. I tried this sit and reach test:

I can't get my hands anywhere near the base of my feet. I tried doing this test too:

My hands were several inches apart and I couldn't get them to touch.

I also have real difficulty being able to squat properly, probably due to my lack of flexibility.

Is there any way to improve my flexibility?

Yes, start stretching. It's that simple. :smile:
yoga! :smile:
Original post by vineyard13

This

There's loads of stretches for desired areas. Hold each stretch for 2 mins increasing the burn every 20-30 seconds

I would recommend you avoid yoga music though.. Painful listening :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Yes, start stretching. It's that simple. :smile:

Original post by vineyard13

Original post by Angry cucumber
This

There's loads of stretches for desired areas. Hold each stretch for 2 mins increasing the burn every 20-30 seconds

I would recommend you avoid yoga music though.. Painful listening :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you provide me with a routine to increase flexibility? A good, reputable routine and not one of those fad routines on those diet adverts. :tongue:
Original post by snowman77
Can you provide me with a routine to increase flexibility? A good, reputable routine and not one of those fad routines on those diet adverts. :tongue:

Do you want to be more flexible in certain areas or full body?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and chew lots of gum infront of Willy Wonka. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Angry cucumber
Do you want to be more flexible in certain areas or full body?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everywhere. I can't do squats very well due to my poor flexibility so I would love in particular to be flexible in the areas that help with squats.
Reply 8
I found pilates helped me a lot with flexibility, also strengthening since I came off crutches after a long while. Having tried yoga I had (and still have!) some major and lolworthy balance issues which the pilates also has kind of been helping to resolve.

With squats just keep practising them. That will help you get further down and better at them in my experience at least.

Failing that, I found some very cool apps called Fitivity on Android but not sure if they're on Apple and they have a Flexibility one which is simple and easy to follow.
Reply 9
The key to flexibility is to unlock chakrasana. I flex whatever i want except the leg 180 degree split
A good way to become more flexible is to stretch... After warming up. If you do this enough you will eventually get more flexible. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest