Scroll to see replies

Original post by GrahamRodney
From where?

Any part of London really. I'll be commuting from south east London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3661
Team commuters checking in
North West london squarrrd.

Yeah, I got rejected for the accommdation, looking forward to the hour journey to and fro. If I meet my offer that is.
Original post by IIS~
Team commuters checking in
North West london squarrrd.

Yeah, I got rejected for the accommdation, looking forward to the hour journey to and fro. If I meet my offer that is.

Yeah we are in "commuting distance" so we don't get accomodation. WHOOOO an 1hr - sure mines around 1hr-1hr30min

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking that into account they will be making tube 24hr on weekend by 2015! So that will help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inspired_tem
Any part of London really. I'll be commuting from south east London

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's doable. But tough :frown:
Also from North West London, immediate rejection so gonna have to commute for at least the first two weeks.
Hopefully, I get a place off the waiting list since I applied for accommodation quite early but if not, hopefully I will find a flat to share nearby within the first month.

I really want a place in halls though and would hate to live at home during uni :frown:
People did say that some people want to move out of halls around late October- November so some spaces become available.
Original post by GrahamRodney
It's doable. But tough :frown:

Yeah I can imagine. I was just curious to know I wasn't the only one commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuparNoob
Also from North West London, immediate rejection so gonna have to commute for at least the first two weeks.
Hopefully, I get a place off the waiting list since I applied for accommodation quite early but if not, hopefully I will find a flat to share nearby within the first month.

I really want a place in halls though and would hate to live at home during uni :frown:
People did say that some people want to move out of halls around late October- November so some spaces become available.

Personally I wouldn't actually mind living at home - it's more the distance too home and having you go home at late nights

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inspired_tem
Personally I wouldn't actually mind living at home - it's more the distance too home and having you go home at late nights

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what i meant too. My life would probably be a lot cushier at home but the morning commute and just all around hit to the social life isn't worth it for me..
Original post by SuparNoob
That's what i meant too. My life would probably be a lot cushier at home but the morning commute and just all around hit to the social life isn't worth it for me..

I can understand that. In that case hopefully they'll free up some space for you to move in in halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A fair few people who were originally denied accommodation did get offers for accommodation around the last week of the holiday, including my friend who lived in Harrow, so it's possible you won't have to commute.

Alternatively you could find a student house around Whitechapel and live with others who would otherwise commute?

There were quite a few commuters this year (mainly graduates and people who lived close) and they still managed to make lots of friends!
Original post by snakeyface
A fair few people who were originally denied accommodation did get offers for accommodation around the last week of the holiday, including my friend who lived in Harrow, so it's possible you won't have to commute.

Alternatively you could find a student house around Whitechapel and live with others who would otherwise commute?

There were quite a few commuters this year (mainly graduates and people who lived close) and they still managed to make lots of friends!

I don't think I'd particularly like moving out plus I do have responsibilities at home. It's reassuring to know that people were still able to make friends while commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3672
Woo commuters :smile: That's my worry. Hopefully I can still meet a lot of new people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _RXMD
Woo commuters :smile: That's my worry. Hopefully I can still meet a lot of new people

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have commuted every year since being here (because I lived, and still live, within commutable(ish) distance to WC). It really didn't hinder my social life in preclinical years. At all. I was very, very active in the SU, got involved in many clubs, and still managed to go out a fair bit. You'll meet loads of new and exciting people irrespective of being a commuter or living in halls. My friends in first year comprised of people who commuted and lived in halls. I'm still really close friends with some of these people.

Obviously, people who live in the same place will become closer (in the physical sense too :wink:), but things will change and some (not all) friendship groups will collapse and reform in 2nd year, 3rd year, your intercalated year and to a lesser extent in 4th year etc. More so, some of your "proper" friends may not be the ones you met or lived with/without in first year but may end up being that someone you never spoke to in preclinical years but were paired with on a 9 week hospital placement in Essex during 3rd year who you really hit it off with because they turned out to have loads of other similar interests to you. Seriously, it happens. A lot.

Point is, don't worry about FOMO just because you don't live in halls in first year. Chances are, you probably wont be missing out on that much anyway. :smile: Besides, medical school is SO much more than where you live in your first year, though I do appreciate its still an exciting moment for most people!
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought I'd ask specifically bart's applicants since you may be more knowledgeable than med applicants to other Unis. I only have 2 As at GCSE - so yeah, does this medical school emphasize GCSEs at lot? For AS i'm confident of minimum 3As and B if not 4As.
Hey guys,

Those that live a commutable distance to Barts (meaning you were rejected official university accomodation), but won't be living at home, which accomodation will you be staying at? Personally I'm thinking The Curve or Magenta House as they're both relatively near Whitechapel Campus and supposedly would have a greater proportion of medics/dentists living there?
Seriously, halls are a bit over-rated. The friends you make whilst living in them are so often not the ones you'd still consider good friends after a year or two. Living on the same floor as someone isn't going to make you more compatible with someone if you wouldn't get along with them in other circumstances.
Original post by WackyJun
Seriously, halls are a bit over-rated. The friends you make whilst living in them are so often not the ones you'd still consider good friends after a year or two. Living on the same floor as someone isn't going to make you more compatible with someone if you wouldn't get along with them in other circumstances.

Depends who you lived with :tongue:

I still live with some of my mates from 1st year halls, a few of the others I keep in contact with a bit and then the others I just say hi whenever I bump into them.

I look forward to going back into halls for 5th year :tongue:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Depends who you lived with :tongue:

I still live with some of my mates from 1st year halls, a few of the others I keep in contact with a bit and then the others I just say hi whenever I bump into them.

I look forward to going back into halls for 5th year :tongue:

'fraid not any more. The crayon munchers have removed 5th year priority and from next year Daweson and Floyer will not be medic only halls
Original post by Sambo2
'fraid not any more. The crayon munchers have removed 5th year priority and from next year Daweson and Floyer will not be medic only halls

What?

Link pls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending