The Student Room Group

What would you steal from a supermarket if you could get away with it?

Lets say hypothetically you can steal anything from a supermarket on a fortnight basis to save yourself some money from groceries. What would you steal? Assume there are no people in disguises as shoppers to catch you and CCTV's etc. I happen to be in this situation.
It's not a reason to steal but I am close to broke and my family is bankrupt. Trying to make my family be able to live a somewhat luxurious life in terms of food and everyday products.
I have stolen over $200usd worth of groceries from:
Best cuts of steak
Shampoo (they get quite costly)
Expensive brands of canned foods
Organic vegetables
Two bottles of wine

*There seems to be no saffron or truffles in the supermarket
*I have been looking at facial products but most of the facial products they sell in the supermarket are crap and just make your face worse
*Condoms...???
*I have been considering canned abalones/seafood etc, havent looked into it yet
*Shoplifting rates are from what I see low where i come from, so security is low
Also are there any goods that have resell value that are sold in a supermarket?

Please only answer my question if you have suggestions to what is worth taking from a monopolistic supermarket that overcharges all consumers at least by double of what it should cost. This is not question for people to educate me about ethics. So for any of you that has been in or is in a situation like mine, please share your experiences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 61d1b4a475999
Lets say hypothetically you can steal anything from a supermarket on a fortnight basis to save yourself some money from groceries. What would you steal? Assume there are no people in disguises as shoppers to catch you and CCTV's etc. I happen to be in this situation.
It's not a reason to steal but I am close to broke and my family is bankrupt. Trying to make my family be able to live a somewhat luxurious life in terms of food and everyday products.
I have stolen over $200usd worth of groceries from:
Best cuts of steak
Shampoo (they get quite costly)
Expensive brands of canned foods
Organic vegetables
Two bottles of wine

*There seems to be no saffron or truffles in the supermarket
*I have been looking at facial products but most of the facial products they sell in the supermarket are crap and just make your face worse
*Condoms...???
*I have been considering canned abalones/seafood etc, havent looked into it yet
*Shoplifting rates are from what I see low where i come from, so security is low
Also are there any goods that have resell value that are sold in a supermarket?

Please only answer my question if you have suggestions to what is worth taking from a monopolistic supermarket that overcharges all consumers at least by double of what it should cost. This is not question for people to educate me about ethics. So for any of you that has been in or is in a situation like mine, please share your experiences.

Bit strange how you post on an British Student Forum for advice on how to commit theft.
If I were as poor as you, I'd steal loads of paracétamol and overdose to end my pathetic life.
I don't advise you to shoplift at all, however as a hypothetical - if I could get away with stealing something from a supermarket, and if my morals were completely shot to hell, then I'd steal nappies. Those things cost me a bloody fortune. I'd have so much more cash if I didn't have to buy blumming nappies all the time.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't advise you to shoplift at all, however as a hypothetical - if I could get away with stealing something from a supermarket, and if my morals were completely shot to hell, then I'd steal nappies. Those things cost me a bloody fortune. I'd have so much more cash if I didn't have to buy blumming nappies all the time.

...You still have nighttime troubles? :redface:
Reply 5
When I was a young child (like 6 or 7) I stole something... From those sort of pick and mix things (but I think it was in the tesco sweet isle) I stole one of the chocolate buttons with sprinkles on (no idea what they are called)...have to say got away with it. I know, I'm such a bad person :/ really let everyone down there :/
Reply 7

Is switching to cloth nappies not an option? I've not had kids so I don't know the reality of dealing with cloth nappies (obviously I know it will be a bit more disgusting than disposables), but I do know they supposedly save you a crap ton of money.
Reply 8
Original post by Munrot07
When I was a young child (like 6 or 7) I stole something... From those sort of pick and mix things (but I think it was in the tesco sweet isle) I stole one of the chocolate buttons with sprinkles on (no idea what they are called)...have to say got away with it. I know, I'm such a bad person :/ really let everyone down there :/

Jazzies!
Original post by Ronove
Jazzies!

That's it! :biggrin: they were so good
Reply 10
Original post by 61d1b4a475999
Letsces.

condoms are likely to have a security tag, besides you should be able to get them free if you're under 25 (in the uk at least)

Nuts? Oil? Just what ever you want to eat that day??

My friend once stole a hoodie by putting it in her top and pretending she was pregnant. Maybe you could steal a cucumber by putting it down your your trousers. (i'm assuming you're a male..)

Before I realised this was a serious thread I was gunna say the CASH FROM THE TILL. Or the KEYS TO THE SAFE!! Seriously though, how ever easy you think it is, you probably will get caught one day.

I don't adv.

Nappies are very bulky!! But in this hypothetical never gunna get caught situation, why not!?!
Reply 11
Stealing is a pretty scummy thing to do mate.
Probably the ridiculously overpriced items with huge mark-ups - the best shampoo/hair products (I miss using Charles Worthington :frown: ), the really expensive fake tans (St Tropez/Fake Bake), makeup in general (MAC/Benefit/Urban Decay :biggrin: ), vodka, TAMPONS!!!! (tampax pearl :colone: ).
Oh and the expensive things that I am also too embarrassed to purchase (condoms and lube) :colondollar:
I wouldn't do it if I were in your position though. I'd just try living within my means. If you're close to being broke there is no need to be consuming the "best cuts of steak" and "two bottles of wine". Go shop at Lidl. You will be caught at some point.
maybe if i was really desperate like im homeless and im starving id steal something really cheap and meaningless
Well , god's gaze is unavoidable so not being caught is a impossibility.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Leave. Now.
Reply 16

:toofunny:
Original post by FuzzehWolf
Leave. Now.

Or what?
Or what?

I'll sit on you. :3
Original post by Ronove
:toofunny:

I'm assuming your finding my religious views amusing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending