The Student Room Group

New Thor is a woman, it's a great day for feminism.

Rejoice :parrot::parrot::party2::party2::party2::party::party::party::party::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::pd::pd::penguin::penguin:

Scroll to see replies

I wasn't overly happy after I saw that they are killing off Wolverine and then changed my favourite character to a woman. But then I saw that picture.
Reply 2
Original post by Brit_Miller
I wasn't overly happy after I saw that they are killing off Wolverine and then changed my favourite character to a woman. But then I saw that picture.

That picture is a photoshop btw. :lol: You can see it around the edges but it gives you an idea.

What do you think of the new captain america being black???

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/17/marvel-comics-captain-america-black-falcon
Reply 3
Not sure why this is great for Feminism... you've taken a male God and have made Him female - why is this good? Sure, if we had a mainstream film with a strong female protagonist then yay, but this just confuses me.

P.S. that is unless I am being spectacularly thick/ misinformed
I was excited about this until I saw Amber Heard.
Original post by Marky Mark
That picture is a photoshop btw. :lol: You can see it around the edges but it gives you an idea.

What do you think of the new captain america being black???

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/17/marvel-comics-captain-america-black-falcon

Don't ruin it for me :lol:

I think the big problem with Captain America being black is that he can save the world but still have to sit at the back of the bus in that era :lol:
It's nice they're diversifying though.
making thor a woman is ****ing silly, I'm sorry
if they made a female thor-ish character to be the sidekick that wouldn't be bad, but making a big strong macho-man into a woman...jesus christ
what's next? the hulk will get a sex change operation?
Reply 8
Can't say I'm a fan of this sort of stuff really, but seriously, wtf is going on with this, madness :lolwut:
Reply 9
We'll not only have a new woman superhero, but one that uses a sodding hammer!!!

Why, I can hear the patriarchy crumbling beneath us.
Reply 10
Original post by zippity.doodah
if they made a female thor-ish character to be the sidekick that wouldn't be bad, but making a big strong macho-man into a woman...jesus christ

Women should be sidekicks? Do you also believe this IRL?
They're just trying to get attention. No one gives a **** and they'll go with the older characters for movies who make the most $$$$$$$$$
Reply 12
Original post by iheartplums
I was excited about this until I saw Amber Heard.

photoshop it's not real :wink:
She should be named Thora
Women should be sidekicks? Do you also believe this IRL?

a sidekick to thor is the vice-lead character and that's the second best thing in the series as far as this goes; thor is an effin' tough-ass manly man. this is like making hulk hogan into a woman, or making sasha grey into a dude - you can't just flip these kinds of switches...I'm not implying that women shouldn't be super heroes at all, I'm saying that *thor* is not a woman for god's sake and making him into one is radically ridiculous
photoshop it's not real :wink:

Okay, I'm excited again.

She-Hulk has been around since 1980...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk
Reply 17
a sidekick to thor is the vice-lead character and that's the second best thing in the series as far as this goes; thor is an effin' tough-ass manly man. this is like making hulk hogan into a woman, or making sasha grey into a dude - you can't just flip these kinds of switches...I'm not implying that women shouldn't be super heroes at all, I'm saying that *thor* is not a woman for god's sake and making him into one is radically ridiculous

sidekick, second best? Don't hold back
Original post by SusieShire
She-Hulk has been around since 1980...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk

so the appropriate move should be to make "she-thor", not making thor's dick into a vag
I wonder how committed Marvel will be to this.

They killed Spiderman but then had his personality reassert itself over Doctor octopus' mind in his body.

Numerous other people have been Captain America before, so a black man being Cap doesn't bother me (I'm curious how much his placement in the film influenced that decision).

Loki was a woman at one point as well.

All these get un-done eventually, Thor is still around he's just wielding a different weapon so the stage is still open for him to reclaim the hammer. I have no idea what happens to Rogers to make Falcon take over, but he's died before so whatever it is he's not going to be permanently out of the picture. However if it gets more diversity into the universe, even if these characters don't keep their new roles forever, would still be good. I'd imagine introducing new comic books around new characters is a significant gamble (Wolverine was first introduced in a hulk comic after all), so putting the comic book equivalent of a "backdoor pilot" in is par for the course. If the characters prove popular enough they could get their own comics which would prove even more that Marvel knows how to slap DC around given they cancelled loads of their female comic lines when they rebooted their universe.

Is this happening in the regular or ultimate marvel universe anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest