The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem

I do not think there will be an issue with uptake

There might however be an issue with turning up.
Original post by nulli tertius
It may be what HE wants but if HE doesn't bestow any advantage for having it or detriment for not having it, students will vote with their feet.

As I have said - many of them will not have that luxury
Original post by nulli tertius
There might however be an issue with turning up.

Well - in the case of the Tech Bacc they will not have any useful qualification without it

Then - given the funding requirements at FE it is difficult to see how they would be kept on at college if they are going to cost money
Given that funding in FE colleges is dependant on students continuing with some maths from 2016 (it may actually be 2015) onwards

And given that anyone taking a Btec Level 3 will need it as part of their "tech bacc"

I do not think there will be an issue with uptake

This isn't the case. There is no requirement for students to continue with mathematics unless they did not achieve A* to C at GCSE. The Tech Bacc thing is correct but I don't expect many institutions to make significant curriculum changes because of this particular Performance Measure.
Well - in the case of the Tech Bacc they will not have any useful qualification without it

The Tech Bacc is a Performance Measure not a qualification. It is equally as useless as the Ebacc.
Original post by Mr M
This isn't the case. There is no requirement for students to continue with mathematics unless they did not achieve A* to C at GCSE. .

Not for schools, no

But FE colleges have had their funding tied to it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
The Tech Bacc is a Performance Measure not a qualification. It is equally as useless as the Ebacc.

My mistake - well the mistake of our Head of Sixth who is promoting it and talking to me about the Core part
Not for schools, no

But FE courses have had their funding tied to it

I know nothing of this and I would. Evidence please?
Original post by Mr M
The Core Maths specifications are yet to be approved but they will be as Ofqual will not dare to embarrass the Government.

The only drafts that have been published are from OCR MEI and you will find links below. OCR have not submitted their own specifications but AQA and Edexcel have.

Quantitative Problem Solving

Quantitative Reasoning

Oh wow. Definitely not a fan. These have good intentions but the exams are ridiculously patronising. 3 marks for dividing two numbers? 7 marks for calculating the circumference of a circle? Heck there's 3 marks for reading numbers off a graph and adding them up?

This type of training would be great during secondary school though. I thought the qualification was meant to be for people who got a C in GCSE?
Original post by Mr M
I know nothing of this and I would. Evidence please?

I was at a dfe led conference and a high proportion of FE people were up in arms about it
I was at a dfe led conference and a high proportion of FE people were up in arms about it

They must have all been confused. The only requirements relate to GCSE.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/332781/16-19_conditions_of_funding_maths_and_English_v2.pdf
Original post by shamika
Oh wow. Definitely not a fan. These have good intentions but the exams are ridiculously patronising. 3 marks for dividing two numbers? 7 marks for calculating the circumference of a circle? Heck there's 3 marks for reading numbers off a graph and adding them up?

This type of training would be great during secondary school though. I thought the qualification was meant to be for people who got a C in GCSE?

The content is not meant to be beyond that of Higher GCSE (though they should be adding the stats back in that is being removed) - it is meant to be about application

The philosophy is that the coursework should be led by the requirements of their other A level courses and the maths is being highlighted in the other new A level syllabi

i am intrigued the people from the Dfe were clear in their statements - the funding for FE and schools was going to be different and FE had to continue with maths

I have the conference transcript somewhere - let me take another look

It was certainly said :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Then - given the funding requirements at FE it is difficult to see how they would be kept on at college if they are going to cost money

If universities do not insist, I think that will be a trial of strength that students (and if it comes to removal from the roll, parents) will win.
Original post by shamika

It is. They are people who don't find the skills you mentioned particularly easy. Anyway, you are cherry-picking low demand examples - in my opinion the specimen questions are probably a bit too challenging for the target audience.
The content is not meant to be beyond that of Higher GCSE (though they should be adding the stats back in that is being removed) - it is meant to be about application

The philosophy is that the coursework should be led by the requirements of their other A level courses and the maths is being highlighted in the other new A level syllabi

I'm not getting it... This is a course for those people who have done OK at GCSE level, but they're going to be required to take this qualification even though the maths in their A-Levels will often be harder (or at least, have a proper context)?
Original post by shamika
I'm not getting it... This is a course for those people who have done OK at GCSE level, but they're going to be required to take this qualification even though the maths in their A-Levels will often be harder (or at least, have a proper context)?

They are not required to do it.

They won't usually have done THAT well at GCSE. This will give them a chance to consolidate their GCSE skills, use mathematics in context and learn a small amount of new material.
Original post by shamika

The maths in their A Levels isn't harder

The issues that HE have are

Studnets who get a C at GCSE then do no more maths fail those elements at university

Even people who have a B or an A at GCSE who then do not do maths - lack the skills

Then the government have issues with the fact that so few people in the UK continue with maths beyond 16 whereas a high to very high proportion do so in other countries
Original post by Mr M
They are not required to do it.

They won't usually have done THAT well at GCSE. This will give them a chance to consolidate their GCSE skills, use mathematics in context and learn a small amount of new material.

I'm not convinced but if a grade C student can't do these questions (I know there's some stats they won't have seen before in the qualification), then sure, these are at least useful.

I don't get why they didn't have these exams become a part of the GCSE though. They're a lot more useful for most people than learning eg random circle theorems.

The maths in their A Levels isn't harder

The issues that HE have are

Studnets who get a C at GCSE then do no more maths fail those elements at university

Even people who have a B or an A at GCSE who then do not do maths - lack the skills

Then the government have issues with the fact that so few people in the UK continue with maths beyond 16 whereas a high to very high proportion do so in other countries

If someone has a B or A at A-Level, isn't a different qualification going to help these students more than the Core Maths one, which they should breeze through?
Original post by shamika

If someone has a B or A at A-Level, isn't a different qualification going to help these students more than the Core Maths one, which they should breeze through?

Did you mean at GCSE?

Why do you think they will breeze through this?

The idea is that the course will keep them doing maths so they remain in touch with their skills - it will also ensure that they have better statistics than the GCSE (especially the new one) would ensure

Quick Reply

Latest