The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SMEGGGY
Then I suggest you refrain from making any more comments, or my moderation capabilities shall have to be exercised. :wink:

It is worse than harsh to ban a user on a forum, based on a comment that wasn't even posted on that particular forum.
But unfortunately, things like that have previously happened, on a forum that seemed so much better. :frown:

It isn't even a logical excuse.

Now, let's keep to discussing DS' poor moderation, shall we? :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by spotify95
It is worse than harsh to ban a user on a forum, based on a comment that wasn't even posted on that particular forum.

There is a user known as Brookside who has been mouthing off about everyone and the moderators, and the thread has been going on for at least a few days now, and he or she still hasn't been banned yet, and they only joined this year in May, yet if you or I did that, we'd be axed for it! :eek: :mad:
Reply 42
Original post by pinkteddyx64
There is a user known as Brookside who has been mouthing off about everyone and the moderators, and the thread has been going on for at least a few days now, and he or she still hasn't been banned yet, and they only joined this year in May, yet if you or I did that, we'd be axed for it! :eek: :mad:

Yep, in fact, we'd have that weird "delete post" thing done to us (again)!

Try and get a puppet account, then alert the post(s).

Btw, is there a link to that thread?
Yep, in fact, we'd have that weird "delete post" thing done to us (again)!

Try and get a puppet account, then alert the post(s).

Btw, is there a link to that thread?
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1987774

I'm not that Smeggy :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by SMEGGGY
I'm not that Smeggy :tongue:

So, not the owner of THIS forum then?

In that case sorry about the outburst earlier!

That forum I linked to, is supposed to have freedom of speech, but turns out into pretty much a free-for-all.
So, not the owner of THIS forum then?

In that case sorry about the outburst earlier!

That forum I linked to, is supposed to have freedom of speech, but turns out into pretty much a free-for-all.

I own no forums mate lol.

I was just playing along.. :wink:
Reply 47
Original post by SMEGGGY
I own no forums mate lol.

I was just playing along.. :wink:

Okay, cool :smile:

Apologies about earlier, I saw your username and thought you were related to the owner of Smeggy Forums (that I linked to earlier)

Thought so. :biggrin:

On a side note, have you ever been to any other forums - including DS?
If it is even the slightest bit of consolation, one of the members I hate on there who kept de-railing my discussions has had their final ban before a permanent ban, so with luck, they will mess up and be permanently banned! :biggrin:
Reply 49
If it is even the slightest bit of consolation, one of the members I hate on there who kept de-railing my discussions has had their final ban before a permanent ban, so with luck, they will mess up and be permanently banned! :biggrin:

How do you know that it is their final ban? was it for 2 weeks then?
As far as I know, DS' longest suspension is 2 weeks, before the permanent ban kicks in.

That is the problem with DS' moderation/banning policy - you follow a sequence of:
1) First warning
2) 48h suspension
3) 7 day suspension
4) 2 week suspension
5) Account termination

and each time you break a rule and the mods are alerted/find out, you go a step further along the line.

They did say, that they will repeat steps or skip steps, based on the severity of the offense - but it is best to assume the above sequence. Thus, for a string of non-offenses (very minor rule breaking), you can have your account terminated.

Here, we have the (much better) card system - blue cards for minors, yellow cards for more-major offences and reds for major/serious offences. Only the red cards carry a suspension - and even better (imo), after a set time the cards will disappear. Hence, you can't really be banned for a string of non-offences.

There is, of course, the black card (account termination) but that is for extremely serious offences, such as spamming, mis-use of dupes etc. They don't get handed out that often at all.

Just another reason why I [used to!] find TSR's moderation policy to be much better, and fairer, than that of Digital Spy.
(edited 9 years ago)
How do you know that it is their final ban? was it for 2 weeks then?
As far as I know, DS' longest suspension is 2 weeks, before the permanent ban kicks in.

That is the problem with DS' moderation/banning policy - you follow a sequence of:
1) First warning
2) 48h suspension
3) 7 day suspension
4) 2 week suspension
5) Account termination

and each time you break a rule and the mods are alerted/find out, you go a step further along the line.

They did say, that they will repeat steps or skip steps, based on the severity of the offense - but it is best to assume the above sequence. Thus, for a string of non-offenses (very minor rule breaking), you can have your account terminated.

Here, we have the (much better) card system - blue cards for minors, yellow cards for more-major offences and reds for major/serious offences. Only the red cards carry a suspension - and even better (imo), after a set time the cards will disappear. Hence, you can't really be banned for a string of non-offences.

There is, of course, the black card (account termination) but that is for extremely serious offences, such as spamming, mis-use of dupes etc. They don't get handed out that often at all.

Just another reason why I find TSR's moderation policy to be much better, and fairer, than that of Digital Spy.
I kept checking when their account was inactivated, and their status was the same for two weeks.
Reply 51
I kept checking when their account was inactivated, and their status was the same for two weeks.

Then, I assume, they were brought back?

If that's the case them that temporary ban WILL have been their last one. After that, it's permanent! :wink:

The good thing here, is that with TSR, they don't do that sequence of bans, permanently banning someone after a 2 week suspension. AFAIK you have to do something serious to get a permanent ban here, and that decision is down to the section leaders of TSR. :smile:

Hence, I prefer TSR's mod policy to that of DS. I'm sure a TSR mod would inform you if you were on your last warning, anyway :smile:
Then, I assume, they were brought back?

If that's the case them that temporary ban WILL have been their last one. After that, it's permanent! :wink:

The good thing here, is that with TSR, they don't do that sequence of bans, permanently banning someone after a 2 week suspension. AFAIK you have to do something serious to get a permanent ban here, and that decision is down to the section leaders of TSR. :smile:

Hence, I prefer TSR's mod policy to that of DS. I'm sure a TSR mod would inform you if you were on your last warning, anyway :smile:

Another good thing about TSR is that it doesn't tolerate cyberbullying, whereas DS does.
Reply 53
Another good thing about TSR is that it doesn't tolerate cyberbullying, whereas DS does.

Yet DS are heavily biased on their opinions of posters, and in a way, are cyber bullies themselves - as they had no respect whatsoever to the rest of their forum members.

Now, let's take a quote from their (nasty and rude) post:

FASCISTS
Perhaps your anger should be directed to the person that continues to violate our community guidelines by re-registering hundreds of times to disrupt our forums.

Now, let's get this straight here.

The other forum members have no way of communicating with this multi time PBU (whoever they are) as the PBU keeps being booted off the DS Forums.

The PBU just wants to get involved in discussions on DS, as well as contribute towards the count.

None of the PBU's posts break any of the community guidelines (except for being a PBU)

To be honest, if DS do ban the PBU, then chances are he/she may return again. Thus, deleting all of the posts is absolutely pointless if he/she will return.

Hence, it does not matter if the PBU had been banned once, 10 times or 1,000 times before - the thing being is that the posts SHOULD REMAIN VISIBLE as it will **** up the thread EVERY TIME THEY JOIN! And since it is very hard to stop PBU's, they will keep doing it.

So - leave the posts in and don't blame the other forum members as the other members have no control whatsoever over this PBU - yet are being given the vast majority of the blame!!

Those fascist mods really need to be taught how to moderate a forum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can I just ask, what are you hoping to gain from this thread?
Okay, cool :smile:

Apologies about earlier, I saw your username and thought you were related to the owner of Smeggy Forums (that I linked to earlier)

Thought so. :biggrin:

On a side note, have you ever been to any other forums - including DS?

Yes I post on The Guardian, Comic Book Movies, Jerusalem Post - These are more comments section, than forums.
Reply 56
Original post by SMEGGGY
Yes I post on The Guardian, Comic Book Movies, Jerusalem Post - These are more comments section, than forums.

I've posted on a lot of comments sections as well. Probably too many to name :biggrin:

I've also posted on many forums too - including the windows 7 forums (when I had an issue with my laptop), Tom's Hardware, and of course, TSR. :smile:

Interestingly, the first ever forum I posted on was Digital Spy - my account lasted over a year before it got axed by the mods.
My pinkteddyx64 account on DS lasted from 24th December 2010 to 19th May 2012. I was particularly upset because 1. 2012 was turning out to be my most depressing year of my life due to other reasons completely unrelated to DS, plus 2. I really wanted to post in threads to do with the 2012 Olympic games whilst it was all taking place, but obviously, by then, my account was already defunct! :frown:

The first ever forum I posted on is now defunct, and was a Packard Bell forum, and that was in 2007, but when Packard Bell was acquired by Acer, they closed the forums! :mad:

The first ever forum I posted on which is still standing today was also in 2007 and that was called TheHotfix, and I made lots of requests on where to get pirated version of software! :colondollar: The forum has changed it's focus since then so that asking for pirated copies of software will get you a month's ban, but they have similar threads going like our CTAM thread, and the mods on there are very reasonable indeed. :cool:

Sorry if I sound like I'm advertising, but I'm just merely posting my past forums experience. :colondollar:
Reply 58
Don't worry, you're not advertising anywhere, I've seen a lot worse posts.

I think I may have a look at those forums you mentioned

As for DS, There is one thread that I would like to be continued, the "DS Worst Music Poll for 20xx". I revived that in 2012 as it had stopped at 2008 previously, and also revived it in 2013 on a puppet account.

I will be adding that as a feature of TSR's Music department at the end of each year - expect that thread around November time!
Don't worry, you're not advertising anywhere, I've seen a lot worse posts.

I think I may have a look at those forums you mentioned

As for DS, There is one thread that I would like to be continued, the "DS Worst Music Poll for 20xx". I revived that in 2012 as it had stopped at 2008 previously, and also revived it in 2013 on a puppet account.

I will be adding that as a feature of TSR's Music department at the end of each year - expect that thread around November time!
Hopefully, it will be much better received here! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending