The Student Room Group

Soon-To-Be Year 10s: What GCSEs are you going to be doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey! ������

I'm a year 10 soon! Whoop whoop... I'm doing double science and I have chosen... Child development, geography and media studies... Looking forward to doing them! But not exams ������ ha ha see ya :wink: well done for getting a A by the way! I get Bs:angry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Emjcainx
Hey! ������

I'm a year 10 soon! Whoop whoop... I'm doing double science and I have chosen... Child development, geography and media studies... Looking forward to doing them! But not exams ������ ha ha see ya :wink: well done for getting a A by the way! I get Bs:angry:

Oh hi! I'm karmacrunch, also in Year 9! :biggrin:
How are you?
Nice choices, I'm taking geography too! What are you thinking of doing when you are older?

I'm taking, along with my compulsory subjects-

Geography
German
RS
Textiles
Language Leaders :smile:

Hopefully I'll get to do Ad Maths as well!

We have our Year 9 thread also to chat so feel free to do so!

Welcome :tsr:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophie !
Really? I heard that Business GCSE is really boring, which is why I'm kind of dreading it. I love the subject itself though, so I do hope it is fun! :smile: I've just finished Year 9 and we have been doing Business, but not the GCSE yet - that's for the next academic year.

Will it really depends! If you have a creative brain you'll probably like Business and ff you've got a sciency brain then you can adjust with many other analytical/logically thinking subjects. Many say its boring, but nevertheless many say its really fun as well! Search for the positives haha :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Emjcainx
Hey! ������

Hi!

I'm a Year 10 soon too! :smile: Dreading the exams, though.
Thanks! Bs are good too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by adityac3688
Will it really depends! If you have a creative brain you'll probably like Business and ff you've got a sciency brain then you can adjust with many other analytical/logically thinking subjects. Many say its boring, but nevertheless many say its really fun as well! Search for the positives haha :smile:

I will! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by adityac3688

I will! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck with them, I'm sure you'll do just fine! :smile: Religion is compulsory for my school, but I don't think it's such a bad subject... Computer Science sounds interesting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Good luck in yours too :smile::wink:
I'm not too sure about Religion since it might change for us (some people might not do it) but I guess I'll find out next year
Finished year 11
I am happy to answer questions:smile:
Maths
Further Maths
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Drama
Economics

Total of 15 exams
Reply 49
Original post by Marcusroye98
Finished year 11
I am happy to answer questions:smile:

What subject has the hardest GCSE in most people's opinions / which needs most revision? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Maths
Further Maths
English Language
English Literature
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Drama
Economics

Total of 15 exams

What number of exams do most people have? What's the average? Do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it depends on how many GCSEs are being done and whether your school is linear or whether you have previously done exam sin year 10. So generally, most people going into Year 11 would have about:

Maths: 2 exams
Eng Lang: 1 exam
Eng Lit: 2 exams
Double/triple science: 4-9 exams
RS (in some schools): 2 exams

Then generally their option subjects:
Four of the next few:
History: 2 exams
Geography: 2 exams
Sociology: 2-3 exams
Psychology: 2 exams
Media Studies: 1 exam
ICT: 1 exam
Other option subject etc

Just say combined the options consist of 7/8 exams, along with about 10 core exams, possibly 18?
It'd be best to create a poll to see.
(edited 9 years ago)
What subject has the hardest GCSE in most people's opinions / which needs most revision? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It varies a lot.
For me, I found all the language subjects much harder ( spanish and literature) I found with the sciences and geography it was just a memory test and you just have to recall the information. Out of all the subjects, i spent most time on Geography and Biology because they are just about memorizing information!!
Reply 53
Original post by Marcusroye98
It varies a lot.
For me, I found all the language subjects much harder ( spanish and literature) I found with the sciences and geography it was just a memory test and you just have to recall the information. Out of all the subjects, i spent most time on Geography and Biology because they are just about memorizing information!!

Okay, I've heard too that Geography and Biology require lots of memorization. I don't find languages very hard at all, but I struggle on tests without doing revision beforehand. I also think that Maths requires a reasonable amount of revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Well, it depends on how many GCSEs are being done and whether your school is linear or whether you have previously done exam sin year 10. So generally, most people going into Year 11 would have about:

Maths: 2 exams
Eng Lang: 1 exam
Eng Lit: 2 exams
Double/triple science: 4-9 exams
RS (in some schools): 2 exams

Then generally their option subjects:
Four of the next few:
History: 2 exams
Geography: 2 exams
Sociology: 2-3 exams
Psychology: 2 exams
Media Studies: 1 exam
ICT: 1 exam
Other option subject etc

Just say combined the options consist of 7/8 exams, along with about 10 core exams, possibly 18?
It'd be best to create a poll to see.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends how many subjects you do and how exam heavy they are. Most people at my school do 20-something exams in Year 11, I think. I've just finished Year 10 and will be doing 13 GCSEs next year - so I'll have 31 exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just looked back at the op and as you're doing a lot of subjects as well, I'd expect you to probably have over 30 exams too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tryrevise
It depends how many subjects you do and how exam heavy they are. Most people at my school do 20-something exams in Year 11, I think. I've just finished Year 10 and will be doing 13 GCSEs next year - so I'll have 31 exams in May/June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow :redface:
Okay, I've heard too that Geography and Biology require lots of memorization. I don't find languages very hard at all, but I struggle on tests without doing revision beforehand. I also think that Maths requires a reasonable amount of revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is a weird one.
You just need to pick a topic and do loads of questions on that topic then you will be fine. With maths it just randomly 'clicks' after practice. I got an E in a mock exam in year 9 then I got an A when I took it early in year 11 :smile:
Just practice!
Reply 59
I'm going into yr 11 but I did 6 GCSE exams a couple of months ago. I've done: Maths, English Language, Geography, ICT, RE and Music. Next summer I will be doing: Astronomy, English Literature, FSMQ (not really a GCSE or an A level..) and triple science.

Quick Reply

Latest