The Student Room Group

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsRochana
Salam! Kaifa haloki(a) ? :biggrin:

ana bi khair, shukran; waa kaifa halaki? :smile:
Original post by lolarose8
ana bi khair, shukran; waa kaifa halaki? :smile:

Jayed.Ahtaaju an atadarraba 'ala al arabia :tongue:
The only one you need - English.
conversational is vague from some of these guys. Have you learned them independently or is it just going from GCSE as well?

english / french / arabic fluently.

Spanish ("conversational" where I can get by day to day life but not have, say a political debate in it.
Original post by David B
What happens after the week?

I could then be classed as the 'foreign noob' :ahee:
Original post by EverybodyHertz
I could then be classed as the 'foreign noob' :ahee:

Lol
:ms:
1) English :facepalm:
English and Bengali fluently.
english (fluent)
filipino/tagalog (fluent)
french (just about conversational[thank you GCSE french])
(edited 9 years ago)
five
Original post by DropkickSmurfy
I was raised trilingual - English (native tongue), Italian (father is Italian) and Spanish (mother is Hispanic-American).

The Spanish I was raised speaking is castellano de Chile (i.e. Chilean Spanish), as my grandfather is Chilean (and thus that's what my mum was raised speaking, as well as English). Castellano de Chile has differences in pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary to standard Spanish, as well of course its own slang terms.

I also took both languages at GCSE and A-Level, taking Italian two years early in each case. However, with Spanish, I'm actually learning new things, because obviously it is taught as standard Spanish. At first, I found it quite a challenge to alter my way of thinking, in terms of the differences between Spanish and Chilean Spanish, but soon managed to adapt to the differences.

My parents are exactly the same.

Did you find one parent was more willing to teach their first language than the other?

Vivo cerca de Londres, osea si quieres hablar mas mandame un mensaje!
Original post by ✈ ✈
My parents are exactly the same.

Did you find one parent was more willing to teach their first language than the other?

Vivo cerca de Londres, osea si quieres hablar mas mandame un mensaje!

I'm the youngest of six, so by the time it got to me, our family household was already well established as a trilingual one.

However, I have it on good authority from my brother, that our dad was the more willing to pass on his language. I asked my dad about it, and he said it was really important to him that my siblings and I spoke Italian, as it was a connection between us and him, and also his own parents.

My mum was born and raised in the US, so was educated in English, while speaking both Spanish and English at home. Yet as the area she grew up in, didn't have a large Hispanic population, English was the language she used the most. I think she probably saw English as "her" language, and Spanish was something passed to her by her parents.

I'm not sure what changed her mind, I've never asked, but I think I might now I've thought about it.

NB: Will message you soon, when I think of what to say, LOL!
English (fluent)
Portuguese (fluent, but not as good as my English)
German (near fluent)
Italian (near fluent)
Spanish (conversational)
Japanese (near fluent, but not as good as my German/Italian)
Swedish (conversational)
Korean (conversational)

My mum is Portuguese, so I learnt Portuguese as a child with my grandmother (my mum only really speaks English to me). German I learnt at school, I'm doing A level. Italian I learnt at school. Spanish I didn't learn, but because I speak Portuguese I understand most of it and can hold conversations with people. Japanese I self taught and am now doing A level in it. Swedish and Korean are both self taught, and I'll probably reach fluency in Swedish sometime next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by itsRochana
je suis trooooop jalouse :frown:

Mais il semble qu'il ne comprend pas la difference entre 'sans' et 'sauf'...
Original post by Le Nombre
Mais il semble qu'il ne comprend pas la difference entre 'sans' et 'sauf'...

Lool. il est un amateur :tongue:
Reply 95
I only speak fluent English and conversational Korean OTL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending