The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There's lots of rahs at Leeds, but I can't compare to anywhere else though. When I started someone said that they had tried to avoid going up North all their lives and now have to live there, haha :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2743216

I re-direct everyone to this thread to protest against TSR.
Original post by Le Nombre
Brizzle and Durham are the classics, Leeds if they like a bit of Charlie.

Sorry? My hangover doesn't recognise this phrase... :colondollar:
Original post by Champagning
Sorry? My hangover doesn't recognise this phrase... :colondollar:

Produce to smoke and sniff. Maybe your hangover is a result of such activity?
Original post by MancBoy
Jack Wills, beach blonde hair, white iphone, Uggs, fake tan, hair tied up in a bun, leggings, uni hoody, raspy posh accent, Starbucks, double/triple barrel name - This is nearly every girl I see at university.

This is pretty much every guy I know too (a lot of the guys at my uni have dyed their hair blonde :eek:), minus leggings and plus red jeans or baggy tracksuits.
Original post by Gabriel96
Which universities have the poshest students? The most rah types? The usual suspects of course, but surely there's other universities that have a lot of these types...

Bath Spa, Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Oxbridge and RAU, among others.

Why are you looking for a uni with these types? :holmes:

Edit: Reading through the thread people keep mentioning A&F along with Jack Wills as rah clothing, what about Joules or Hollister? Now Joules is certainly 'rah' clothing, is it not?

Oh and for all the 'rahs' out there :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
How do the London unis generally rank in terms of 'rah'ness?
Original post by Gabriel96
I always considered Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Newcastle, St Andrews and Edinburgh to be the big ones with rah and posh types but would places like University of Hertfordshire be up there too because of where it is although it isn't a top uni? I went to a "posh" public school (don't hate me :colondollar:) and the standards where people applied to were Newcastle, Bristol and Leeds.

Hertfordshire University definitely not, lovely area though. I went to a University Hertfordshire party once in my second year....worst mistake ever. The night ended with a guy asking me for my number and then trying to use me as a human shield when a fight kicked off. People were running around with cracked glass bottles, girls being trampled on and taxis refusing to pick anyone up. Lol I refused to attend another Hertfordshire party.
Original post by redferry
Having done 3 Unis now and spent a substantial amount of time at a number of others, Bristol and Durham.

Definately a lot of them at Bristol. I've been to house parties with the students there and a lot of them wear blazers with shoulder pads and sip wine while talking about physics lmfao.
The Royal Agricultural University, it's across the road from my college. Supposedly it's a mixture of those at the top of society (the landed gentry, couldn't think of a modern term) that wish to preserve the family estate, and those at the bottom (the agricultural laborers). I suppose the town (Cirencester) its self is awash with bourgeois Waitrose shoppers, so it's a fairly encompassing mix.
Original post by Pro Crastination
The Royal Agricultural University, it's across the road from my college. Supposedly it's a mixture of those at the top of society (the landed gentry, couldn't think of a modern term) that wish to preserve the family estate, and those at the bottom (the agricultural laborers). I suppose the town (Cirencester) its self is awash with bourgeois Waitrose shoppers, so it's a fairly encompassing mix.

The 'agricultural labourers' all go to Harper Adams. Ciren is basically full of landowners and those that wish they were.
Original post by tes1996
The 'agricultural labourers' all go to Harper Adams. Ciren is basically full of landowners and those that wish they were.

Ah, fair enough.
Or, some of these pointers of the "rah" types - Jack Wills, Hollister, White iPhone, fake tan etc could mean you've got someone who think themselves better than everyone else and are disapproving (and horrible) to everyone below them in social standings, however unlike the "rah's" they are not posh, went to state school and they just live in an apparently "nicer" part of town.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abi_l_w
Or, some of these pointers of the "rah" types - Jack Wills, Hollister, White iPhone, fake tan etc could mean you've got people who think themselves better than everyone else and are disapproving (and horrible) to everyone below them in social standings, however unlike the "rah's" they are not posh.

I'd agree. I'm sick of seeing that bloody seagull everywhere (that said, I am investing in Ralph Lauren etc for university, I'd say I am a hypocrite, but I couldn't name one person who I know that wears RL on anywhere near the same scale as everyone seems to wear Hollister). Although I would say most people I know are fairly humble and easy to get on with, so I don't exactly share your perspective.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd agree. I'm sick of seeing that bloody seagull everywhere (that said, I am investing in Ralph Lauren etc for university, I'd say I am a hypocrite, but I couldn't name one person who I know that wears RL on anywhere near the same scale as everyone seems to wear Hollister). Although I would say most people I know are fairly humble and easy to get on with, so I don't exactly share your perspective.

I know they are not all like that, I have friends like this too hence why I didn't say anything like "all" in the paragraph, but just saying you may have someone who looks "rah" but isn't in terms of "posh-ness" , "class" and isn't very humble about it too :smile: .

As someone said, this discussion is so stereotypical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by themorninglight
How do the London unis generally rank in terms of 'rah'ness?

I'd say the likes of UCL, Imperial and then the Royal Colleges maybe?

As far as I know the labourers don't go to RAU as it's expensive as hell, they go elsewhere, RAU is literally posho heaven, the parties are legendary :h:

It's actually an option of mine should I want to go take up the estate in France which I will one day so I'll be heading there... Can't wait :colone:
Original post by Novascope
Haha! I know a few people who went and are going to Durham. They never applied for Oxford or Cambridge... I don't see what's so great about those universities. All they say to me is "boring". I heard that even their freshers week isn't even that great, and the following week everyone's huddled up in the library... Neither even offer the course I'm going to do at a different university, if they did, I know I would get in but I'd never apply to those. I'd stick out like a sore thumb :ahee:

Either weak troll or talking ****
Original post by MrSupernova
Either weak troll or talking ****

Trolling isn't my thing. But I suggest you read everything I've posted on here before you try to judge me :smile:
Original post by Novascope
Trolling isn't my thing. But I suggest you read everything I've posted on here before you try to judge me :smile:

I ain't going through 9 pages; summarise it for me. Just curious as to how you can say without absolute certainty that you could get into Oxford or Cambridge if you wanted to

Latest