The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem
Did you mean at GCSE?

Why do you think they will breeze through this?

The idea is that the course will keep them doing maths so they remain in touch with their skills - it will also ensure that they have better statistics than the GCSE (especially the new one) would ensure

I meant pre-uni (ie between ages 16-19). I'm happy to be wrong here. I guess I expected a harder paper. I'll admit though that I'm struggling to think of many examples of better questions though. I came across this concept from Tim Gower's blog, which has a number of serious examples of extended questions that could engage people at the level we're talking about. Trying to figure out how many cars there are in the UK (ie use Fermi estimation), or explain the Sally Clark trial would be much more interesting. The maths doesn't have to be difficult, it just needs to give students an insight into the power of quantitative reasoning.
Original post by shamika
I meant pre-uni (ie between ages 16-19). I'm happy to be wrong here. I guess I expected a harder paper. I'll admit though that I'm struggling to think of many examples of better questions though. I came across this concept from Tim Gower's blog, which has a number of serious examples of extended questions that could engage people at the level we're talking about. Trying to figure out how many cars there are in the UK (ie use Fermi estimation), or explain the Sally Clark trial would be much more interesting. The maths doesn't have to be difficult, it just needs to give students an insight into the power of quantitative reasoning.

I am still confused - this course would be taken by 16-19 year olds so they would not have an A or B at A Level

Questions 4 and 7 perhaps

http://store.aqa.org.uk/resources/AQA-13501-V1.PDF
Original post by shamika

I linked you to the material that has been developed at vast expense in response to Gowers blog. This is the Critical Maths module at page 45 here.
TenOfThem

I like the AQA one better than both OCR MEI offerings.
Original post by Mr M
I like the AQA one better than both OCR MEI offerings.

I like it too

But then I like their current certs too :biggrin:
I like it too

Funny how you can be overtaken by events. Including critical path analysis now looks like a mistake! The specimen materials are pretty accessible though. Unless Edexcel pull it out of the bag I'm going to go with AQA (assuming Ofqual approve it without major change).
Original post by Mr M
Funny how you can be overtaken by events. Including critical path analysis now looks like a mistake! The specimen materials are pretty accessible though. Unless Edexcel pull it out of the bag I'm going to go with AQA (assuming Ofqual approve it without major change).

I told you we are shifting to AQA for GCSE didn't I - we will probably go AQA with this too

On another note - do you think you will be co-teaching AS and A in the new stuff and if so what are you thinking in terms of Y12 entry to AS for all (I know some are going that way)
I told you we are shifting to AQA for GCSE didn't I - we will probably go AQA with this too

On another note - do you think you will be co-teaching AS and A in the new stuff and if so what are you thinking in terms of Y12 entry to AS for all (I know some are going that way)

My gut feeling is it would be a colossal waste of public money to make AS entries for students who are certain to continue to A2 as those exams will count for nothing.
Not for schools, no

But FE colleges have had their funding tied to it

I do hope not (assuming that FE includes Sixth Form Colleges). We currently have about 500 students taking a Maths course of some sort - 330 AS or A2 Maths/FM, 60 AS Use of Maths, 100 GCSE, a few Level 1/2 Award. This means that around 1100 students are NOT taking a Maths course. Imagine the staffing implications.

If Mathematics Studies is approved then we could end up with the peculiar situation where candidates battle to pass a difficult GCSE and then go on to study a relatively easy Level 3 qualification. Ofqual could get themselves into a right muddle here.
I am still confused - this course would be taken by 16-19 year olds so they would not have an A or B at A Level

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I meant an A or B at GCSE.

Oh, I like those. AQA's is a lot better than MEI's. I like the variety of both the maths and the contexts used. In fact, Fermi estimation type questions could benefit a lot of people who do A-Level maths too...
Original post by Mr M
My gut feeling is it would be a colossal waste of public money to make AS entries for students who are certain to continue to A2 as those exams will count for nothing.

agreed

our Ho6 is worried about them being disadvantaged if lots of places are entering them

I am concerned about the time wasted on revision
Original post by Mr M
If Mathematics Studies is approved then we could end up with the peculiar situation where candidates battle to pass a difficult GCSE and then go on to study a relatively easy Level 3 qualification. Ofqual could get themselves into a right muddle here.

The whole thing still seems to be a be a bit of a mess - in spite of the extra year they have had to try and figure it out
agreed

our Ho6 is worried about them being disadvantaged if lots of places are entering them

I am concerned about the time wasted on revision

Conversely it forces kids to revise and consolidate their first year material, and gives universities a useful reference point for university...
Original post by Mr M

Why AQA? Just curious. I thought Edexcel was most popular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr M
They are not required to do it.

They won't usually have done THAT well at GCSE. This will give them a chance to consolidate their GCSE skills, use mathematics in context and learn a small amount of new material.

Has there been any specimen papers for the new A-level/GCSE qualifications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shamika
Conversely it forces kids to revise and consolidate their first year material, and gives universities a useful reference point for university...

I saw a post on the "why do people hate Gove" thread where someone said

Stopping Jan exams was terrible because people used them as mocks and they were the only possible way a student could tell how they were doing

I was horrified by this post - the cost to schools is immense and here you have a student openly saying they treated them as mocks

In short - I fear the same if A level students take the AS - just to see where they are

Are students incapable of taking their studies seriously and doing appropriate consolidation without an external exam

Unless everyone does it the universities will struggle to use them effectively
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Nothing has been approved yet

There are Sample Assessment Materials available for the new GCSEs but we are not even at that point with the A Levels
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Level no. GCSE yes.

Here are Edexcel's unapproved GCSE specimen papers.
Original post by ghostwalker
Yea. Let's hear it for S-levels. :woo:

Original post by davros
At least S levels were a "qualification" so you could stick them on your CV, unlike STEP which is "just" an entrance exam.

DO you guys or anyone else for that matter have access to an S-Level (further?) maths paper that you could perhaps upload. I believe I have the 1970 and 1962 ones ... 1970 special paper and 1962 scholarship paper....do they mean S-Levels do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest