The Student Room Group

Why does HR make the final decision in hiring someone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I went to an interview recently, and was informed that the hiring managers really liked me, and that they are waiting on HR.

Why does HR make the final call?

Also, what factors are taken into consideration when hiring someone, even when HR were not physically present at the interviews or seen you in person?
HR will perform background checks and may independently verify what you have told them in your application. i.e. check your true identity/residence/citizenship etc, check grades and subjects with the relevant exam boards, check references, perform credit checks (companies issue credit cards if you need to travel and book hotels etc). Depending on the job, they may even perform an extended Criminal Records check.

They will also decide the pay structure in conjunction with the department manager, holiday entitlement etc.

So yes, HR does have the last say.
Reply 41
Original post by uberteknik
HR will perform background checks and may independently verify what you have told them in your application. i.e. check your true identity/residence/citizenship etc, check grades and subjects with the relevant exam boards, check references, perform credit checks (companies issue credit cards if you need to travel and book hotels etc). Depending on the job, they may even perform an extended Criminal Records check.

They will also decide the pay structure in conjunction with the department manager, holiday entitlement etc.

So yes, HR does have the last say.

Hi

Thank you for your response.

So I'm guessing that HR will take some time before the final decision

I am right in assuming that I have a very good chance of getting the job since the case has been referred to HR. Just out of interest, if you applied through an agency - do you stand LESS of a chance of getting the job?
Hi

Thank you for your response.

So I'm guessing that HR will take some time before the final decision

I am right in assuming that I have a very good chance of getting the job since the case has been referred to HR. Just out of interest, if you applied through an agency - do you stand LESS of a chance of getting the job?
Not necessarily a long time. It can be considerably shortened if a preferred agency (partner agency) is involved as they may already have performed a lot of the vetting beforehand.

Chances? No, not less chance - unless the company you want to work for is trying to save a few pounds by not paying the agency a finders fee in which case there won't be many agencies running around after their business and they may find themselves on the end of a lawsuit!
Reply 43
Not necessarily a long time. It can be considerably shortened if a preferred agency (partner agency) is involved as they may already have performed a lot of the vetting beforehand.

Chances? No, not less chance - unless the company you want to work for is trying to save a few pounds by not paying the agency a finders fee in which case there won't be many agencies running around after their business and they may find themselves on the end of a lawsuit!

Thanks for your response.

Sorry if I am being impatient, but what would you say my chances of getting the job are on a scale of 1-10, if both hiring managers are happy and telling me to wait for HR's response

Sorry if I am being impatient, but what would you say my chances of getting the job are on a scale of 1-10, if both hiring managers are happy and telling me to wait for HR's response
That's impossible to say because I did not interview you and have no knowledge of what the company is looking for and how closely you match those requirements/your personality/future potential/skill set/teamworking ability etc. It also depends on whether the company has other candidates lined up that have not been interviewed as yet.

You can, if you wish, follow up with a short letter to the line manager and copy to HR saying that you enjoyed discussing the opportunity of the position with the organisation and hope for a favourable reply. Keep it brief though and don't waffle.
It shows tenacity and keeps you fresh in their minds and could be the difference if it comes down to a toss-up between you and another candidate.

Do take time to proof read the letter and pay attention to grammar, punctuation etc. If you were interviewed by more than one person, send the thank you letter personalised to each one.

If I had to guess, I'd say >50% chance. More if there are only a few candidates.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 45
That's impossible to say because I did not interview you and have no knowledge of what the company is looking for and how closely you match those requirements/your personality/future potential/skill set/teamworking ability etc. It also depends on whether the company has other candidates lined up that have not been interviewed as yet.

You can, if you wish, follow up with a short letter to the line manager and copy to HR saying that you enjoyed discussing the opportunity of the position with the organisation and hope for a favourable reply. Keep it brief though and don't waffle.
It shows tenacity and keeps you fresh in their minds and could be the difference if it comes down to a toss-up between you and another candidate.

Do take time to proof read the letter and pay attention to grammar, punctuation etc. If you were interviewed by more than one person, send the thank you letter personalised to each one.

If I had to guess, I'd say >50% chance. More if there are only a few candidates.

Good luck. :smile:

Yeah its just between me and another candidate.

It can go either way, but they were impressed with me.

Ideally I want this job as it matches my future ambitions. The pay not be great but its something that I could see myself doing
Reply 46
Original post by SloaneRanger
They are part of the recruitment process, they are essentially influencers. In SME, even as offending the receptionist/directors pa could cost you a potential job.

Yes I am well aware that you have to be respectful and courteous to everyone working in the office - including the receptionists. I was friendly with everyone there, and I have been informed that they are happy with me but its down to HR to shout the final call.

Just out of interest, say if I am up against another candidate and the managers are happy and referred the case to HR, what are the chances of me getting the job from a scale of 1-10 (1 being no chance, and 10 being 'yes the job is yours')

BTW, what is SME?

Yes I am well aware that you have to be respectful and courteous to everyone working in the office - including the receptionists. I was friendly with everyone there, and I have been informed that they are happy with me but its down to HR to shout the final call.

Just out of interest, say if I am up against another candidate and the managers are happy and referred the case to HR, what are the chances of me getting the job from a scale of 1-10 (1 being no chance, and 10 being 'yes the job is yours')

BTW, what is SME?

We do not know. Nobody except those who interviewed you can know. We don't know you, we don't know the other candidates, we don't know what the job is, we don't know what the interviewers thought of you when they interviewed you, we don't know what HR might turn up. Nobody can know who wasn't involved.

BTW, what is SME?

Small medium enterprise, depends on how many people they are recruiting for. If its just the one role, they might keep your CV on file if the vacancy arises again. Depends on individual circumstances, they might like you both and hire both of you. Completely dependent on the powers above. Usually HR just do the background check, hopefully you get it!
Reply 49
Original post by SloaneRanger
Small medium enterprise, depends on how many people they are recruiting for. If its just the one role, they might keep your CV on file if the vacancy arises again. Depends on individual circumstances, they might like you both and hire both of you. Completely dependent on the powers above. Usually HR just do the background check, hopefully you get it!

Thanks for the wishes.

Yeah two roles are advertised, but it seems based on what the interviewer told me- that one intern spends their time on both roles. But then again, both of us can get hired and can switch departments over time.

HR haven't been in contact with me just yet, but I really want this job. The hiring managers were happy, but just said its down to HR
Reply 50
Original post by carnationlilyrose
We do not know. Nobody except those who interviewed you can know. We don't know you, we don't know the other candidates, we don't know what the job is, we don't know what the interviewers thought of you when they interviewed you, we don't know what HR might turn up. Nobody can know who wasn't involved.

Ok then.
Reply 51
Also, roughly how long does HR take to reach a final decision?

They haven't requested for my references or any form of identification/paperwork, so is this a bad sign?

If they didn't want me for the job, would they have told me straight away? They only told me that they were happy and that it is down to HR
OP, you are obsessing to a properly weird extent. Chill out! It's the weekend, nobody is going to be taking any recruitment steps at the moment. If you haven't heard anything by Friday then come back for advice.
Reply 53
Original post by Crumpet1
OP, you are obsessing to a properly weird extent. Chill out! It's the weekend, nobody is going to be taking any recruitment steps at the moment. If you haven't heard anything by Friday then come back for advice.

Okay
Reply 54
Do HR do financing before making you an offer?

Like what is the recruitment process after an interview?

If you get rejected, do they tell you quickly and if so who tells you?
Do HR do financing before making you an offer?

Like what is the recruitment process after an interview?

If you get rejected, do they tell you quickly and if so who tells you?

I think you need to stop asking all these questions. You have asked just about everything you could ask on this and your other threads and people have given you all the information they can. You are just going to have to sit it out and wait, now, as everyone else has to when they are applying for jobs. Nobody can tell you any more about your situation, because they weren't there. If you have been as you are on this thread in the interview, you will have done yourself no good, so please learn from this.
Reply 56
I think you need to stop asking all these questions. You have asked just about everything you could ask on this and your other threads and people have given you all the information they can. You are just going to have to sit it out and wait, now, as everyone else has to when they are applying for jobs. Nobody can tell you any more about your situation, because they weren't there. If you have been as you are on this thread in the interview, you will have done yourself no good, so please learn from this.

Why, what is wrong in asking these questions?

Is it illegal or against any rules to ask as many questions as I like?

I am curious thats all. I wasn't specifically asking you, was I?

If you have a problem or don't want to answer my questions, then please don't.
Why, what is wrong in asking these questions?

Is it illegal or against any rules to ask as many questions as I like?

I am curious thats all. I wasn't specifically asking you, was I?

If you have a problem or don't want to answer my questions, then please don't.

You are clogging up the forums with too many threads of the same kind. You are also not listening to the advice you are being given. It is getting tedious.
Reply 58
You are clogging up the forums with too many threads of the same kind. You are also not listening to the advice you are being given. It is getting tedious.

Fair enough, but how do you know that I am not listening to the advice people are giving me? How?

I understand where you are coming from, and yes I may have been 'clogging' your forum - but please don't falsely accuse or make accusations against users on this forum, without solid proof of their wrong doing. Besides, starting new forums of a similar kind does not necessarily mean that I am not listening to other users.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fair enough, but how do you know that I am not listening to the advice people are giving me? How?

I understand where you are coming from, and yes I may have been 'clogging' your forum - but please don't falsely accuse or make accusations against users on this forum.

You are not listening because you are posing the same questions over and over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending