The Student Room Group

Grade+BTEC+University=Help??

Hi, I'm new here so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing but what I do know is I really need some advice?

I've applied for Southampton Solent University.

I have been doing a BTEC and have just finished my course and I also know my grades.

Here lies the problem.

To get into the course I wanted to get into I needed MMM

But I only got MMP

I'm only one grade of, will they accept me with this grade? Or at least consider accepting me?

I've done an extended diploma in creative media production and the course I applied for is BA (Hons) Television and Video production course

Though I've got a lot of experience in production side of things through my BTEC and volunteering on filming many things through my college, which I mentioned in my personal statement.

And my attendance is pretty good to.

Could I still be accepted into the course?

I'm quite panicked and scared here as I really, really want to get on to this course.

Anyone got any advice? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

You need to phone the admissions department on Monday morning and ask them; nobody on here will know. I'd think most likely yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Groundearth
You need to phone the admissions department on Monday morning and ask them; nobody on here will know. I'd think most likely yes.

I have last week but they just told me I'd have to wait till august the 14th to know if I'm accepted or not... :frown:
Original post by cecld
I have last week but they just told me I'd have to wait till august the 14th to know if I'm accepted or not... :frown:

Then all you can do is wait. I think you'll still get in, as it's only one grade below and you've got a good amount of experience. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Groundearth
Then all you can do is wait. I think you'll still get in, as it's only one grade below and you've got a good amount of experience. Good luck :smile:

Thank you :o:)
Solent seem to be very lax with entry requirements, good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Solent seem to be very lax with entry requirements, good luck!

I'll need it and Thank you so much :biggrin:
I did the exact same college course, which units did you do?

Good luck getting in :biggrin:
Southampton Solent will let anyone in. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I did the exact same college course, which units did you do?

Good luck getting in :biggrin:

I did 19 units I think? An extended diploma in Creative Media Production, Level 3

We did quite a lot of different units like interview techniques, film studies, TV studies, multi camera, single camera, screenwriting for one year, editing for one year to. So lots of things like that.

If that's what you meant by what Units did I do?
Reply 10
Original post by ✈ ✈
Southampton Solent will let anyone in. :smile:

I half hope that's true and half hope that's not because if it is and I do go to Southampton I don't want to get stuck with people who have got like D's or Fs and are let into the course. It wouldn't be fair on the people who tried really hard to get in. :P :smile:)
Original post by cecld
I half hope that's true and half hope that's not because if it is and I do go to Southampton I don't want to get stuck with people who have got like D's or Fs and are let into the course. It wouldn't be fair on the people who tried really hard to get in. :P :smile:)

I think they are lax on entry requirements but all the courses I've looked in to really make up for it in the first year, plugging any gaps and fully getting everyone on the same level.

Everyone on my college course got DMM as a bare minimum, and that's the minimum accepted for our course at Solent.

At risk of being rude, you fell short of the grade yourself, and MMM alone is pretty low, let alone MMP... Don't really think you have a right to be picky considering that. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cecld
I did 19 units I think? An extended diploma in Creative Media Production, Level 3

We did quite a lot of different units like interview techniques, film studies, TV studies, multi camera, single camera, screenwriting for one year, editing for one year to. So lots of things like that.

If that's what you meant by what Units did I do?

I did 19 too. Yeah that is what I meant. I did; Interview Techniques, Designing Idents, Music Videos, Corporate Videos and others.
Reply 13
I did 19 too. Yeah that is what I meant. I did; Interview Techniques, Designing Idents, Music Videos, Corporate Videos and others.

Ooh had sounds interesting, I did music video's to but I don't think I did Corporate videos and designing Idents which both sound interesting. :biggrin:
Original post by cecld
Ooh had sounds interesting, I did music video's to but I don't think I did Corporate videos and designing Idents which both sound interesting. :biggrin:

Idents were amazing (here's mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a4AwdOe9Y) Corporate Videos weren't that good. What else did you make?
Reply 15
Idents were amazing (here's mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a4AwdOe9Y) Corporate Videos weren't that good. What else did you make?

Our last big project was a to set up and do a live show by ourselves, I was a camera oporator for that bit.

We also have set up gigs and filmed a couple of very short films and things like that.

And we set up and filmed a couple of interviews

And wow thats really good, we didn't do anything like that :smile:

Most of my work I did I left at college, there was a musical I filmed that I was proud of, it took two hours to film. But I don't think my lecturers put it on youtube yet but that was very good fun.

Most of my stuff I was the camera operator, I think thats what I wish to do, after I get into Uni (If I get into Uni)

What about you?
Original post by cecld
Our last big project was a to set up and do a live show by ourselves, I was a camera oporator for that bit.

We also have set up gigs and filmed a couple of very short films and things like that.

And we set up and filmed a couple of interviews

And wow thats really good, we didn't do anything like that :smile:

Most of my work I did I left at college, there was a musical I filmed that I was proud of, it took two hours to film. But I don't think my lecturers put it on youtube yet but that was very good fun.

Most of my stuff I was the camera operator, I think thats what I wish to do, after I get into Uni (If I get into Uni)

What about you?

Wow that sounds amazing! We never got to do anything like that, our last project was we could make anything we wanted to that we had already made, I picked a documentary to bring the grade for that unit up.

Yeah we've done short films but that's it.

Thank you, it took forever to make.

I want to be a media teacher and teach a course similar to what we did.
Original post by cecld
Hi, I'm new here so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing but what I do know is I really need some advice?

I've applied for Southampton Solent University.

I have been doing a BTEC and have just finished my course and I also know my grades.

Here lies the problem.

To get into the course I wanted to get into I needed MMM

But I only got MMP

I'm only one grade of, will they accept me with this grade? Or at least consider accepting me?

I've done an extended diploma in creative media production and the course I applied for is BA (Hons) Television and Video production course

Though I've got a lot of experience in production side of things through my BTEC and volunteering on filming many things through my college, which I mentioned in my personal statement.

And my attendance is pretty good to.

Could I still be accepted into the course?

I'm quite panicked and scared here as I really, really want to get on to this course.

Anyone got any advice? Thank you

Hi there, my name's Felicity and I'm a second year student at Solent, and also work for them as a student ambassador. If you've phoned our admissions team and they've told you to wait until Clearing opens in August then I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do- but we'll definitely be able to help you with your application in August. I'll also be working for the Clearing hotline, and we take into consideration students who have only just missed entry requirements, so your application will be considered. Just remember to ring us again! If you have any questions about this process, give me a message and I'll be happy to help you :smile:
Reply 18
Wow that sounds amazing! We never got to do anything like that, our last project was we could make anything we wanted to that we had already made, I picked a documentary to bring the grade for that unit up.

Yeah we've done short films but that's it.

Thank you, it took forever to make.

I want to be a media teacher and teach a course similar to what we did.

I bet you'll be a great media teacher, most of my teachers in college were very good and much more friendly than the teachers I had at school :smile:)

Also two days ago I received notification from Ucas.

THEY'VE ACCEPTED ME! I GOT IN! SO EXITED AND HAPPY. I almost cried when I found out because I was so relieved and happy about it.
Original post by cecld
I bet you'll be a great media teacher, most of my teachers in college were very good and much more friendly than the teachers I had at school :smile:)

Also two days ago I received notification from Ucas.

THEY'VE ACCEPTED ME! I GOT IN! SO EXITED AND HAPPY. I almost cried when I found out because I was so relieved and happy about it.

Thank you, I do hope so. Yeah so were mine thinking about it.

Aww congrats, do you have an unconditional now? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending